Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 PM   #81
Mike in AZ

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Thot that SHE meant Stuff Happens, Eh....in Canada, of course.....love the trip....thanks for allowing us along for the ride.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 PM   #82
36tudordeluxe

Professor, thanks for allowing me to ride along with you on this great adventure! I'll be checking for the latest post.
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #83
GB SISSON

Are we there yet? I'm in the back seat with the others. What kind of camera are you using? Amazing photos.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #84
50fordcoupeman

Enjoying your trip!! The northwest is a beautiful place to live if one likes mountains and water. My great grandparents lived near/in Calgary. I remember going the world famous Calgary Stampede when I was about 5 or 6. We lived in Spokane WA then. Thanks for taking the time for sharing.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:37 AM   #85
Old Henry

Day 5

Short drive today, only 282 miles, 1,698 so far.

I spent the morning in church with a little congregation of 50 in attendance. It was fun associating with them and learning some "Canadian", like "aboot" for "about", "sory" for "sorry", "oat" for "out", and a lot of "eh?" at the end of sentences. Of course, they treated me like a celebrity since I sang in what President Reagan called "America's Choir", the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and just because of the car that had come such a long way in so short a time. One of the members gave me two buckets of fresh honey from his hives, one for someone he promised one to in the town next to mine and one for me. He said the "Peace Valley" honey was world renown as the best honey in the world. So, I didn't get on the road until almost 3:00 p.m.

The rest of my journey began at mile marker 0 smack dab in the middle of Dawson Creek, the official and historical beginning of the Al-Can highway that, as the sign says, runs 1,523 miles to Fairbanks.

Then we were back out on the road through the wilderness.

Eventually, we were driving through an area of forest fire with fire not far from the road. It really hazed everything over. The smell of the burning trees was, of course, very strong.

It colored the sunlight orange that turned the light colors in our interior more orange.

Our lowest elevation today was 312 meters, or 1,023 feet.

Something I forgot to mention about the lower elevation yesterday is the very pleasant surprise of a boost of power in the engine. It was especially noticeable when climbing hills and accelerating. I almost envied all of you that get to drive flatheads near sea level all the time.

No, it wasn't that extra power used for a burst of speed that lead to this.

I stopped at this spot to take a picture of this stretch of road. As I usually do to get this kind of shot, I walked back up hill a couple hundred feet for the shot. Then, I saw this truck coming the other direction and decided to wait until it passed so I wouldn't have to Photoshop it out. Well, as it got closer and closer it got slower and slower until it looked like it was going to stop when it turned on its overhead police lights, did a U-turn, an pulled up behind the car. I was so far up the hill from the car that he didn't even know I was there. I was certainly curious what he was going to do next. Get out and ask little Lady for her license? Of course, she would be able to give it to him because she has no opposing thumb to take it off of her collar.

But, he just sat there for the longest time while I got this and other pictures of him. Eventually, he got out and headed up to my car. I yelled down at him, "Hey, I'm trying to take a picture and you're in the way." He was pretty startled to turn around and see me way back there. He was immediately apologetic, jumped in his truck, did a U-turn, drove up to across the road from me, got out with his camera and came over for my photography lesson about the great picture that can be taken under those circumstances. Of course, he had some fancy huge DSLR camera, and to get anything like the pictures I took with my little point a shoot had to go back to his truck and get his long telephoto lens and put it on his camera. We had a nice visit, he went on his way, and I finally got the picture I stopped to get.

Of course, the bugs continued to pile on.

When we got to Fort Nelson, I knew we were about two hundred miles behind our schedule, not that it was too big a deal, but I've scheduled two extra "emergency days" in the itinerary in case I have to sit and wait for a part to be flown in or something and don't really want to use it up lolly-gagging. It was only 9:00 and the sun was still shining. So, I wanted to do another hour to get a little further along. But, we're to the point now that civilization with accommodations, or even gas, are much further apart. There was no place to stay or camp for 100 miles further along. My body was telling me it was actually an hour later by my home time so we got us a nice tent site in the RV park and set up camp for the night. I figured if I could get this report done at night we could hit the road real early in the morning and make up some miles.

For anyone interested, here's the extra battery in the trunk with the black clamp on the negative post, the same as the other end is on the car battery under the hood, and the red clamp on the positive post.

Then in just a few seconds, I move the black clamp to the positive post, clamp the red clamp to the positive clamp from the inverter, and clamp the inverter's negative clamp to the negative post on the battery. With the two 6 volt batteries now in series with the inverter, I have a huge amount of 12 volt power to run and charge everything all night and still plenty to start the car in the morning.

My bedroom and work space for reporting.

If you look close you can see the cord running from the trunk to the tent.

I was hoping to get to Skagway tomorrow but won't likely make the 638 miles we have left. But, we'll make up some time, then get there early the next day, get my sticker to say I did, and head back for home.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-17-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:55 AM   #86
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
Enjoying your trip!! The northwest is a beautiful place to live if one likes mountains and water.
And, very few people very far apart.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 AM   #87
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Are we there yet? I'm in the back seat with the others. What kind of camera are you using? Amazing photos.
I use this little Sony DSC-WX350 point and shoot.

It gets me some good pixels to then work with Photoshop to get the pictures you actually see. They don't come out of the camera looking like that.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:03 AM   #88
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Graig, your trips and comontary are WAY. Better than anything on nat geo channel, I wish I had your laid back attitude,we are awY in our model A and after 1600 klms the cam gear got noisey,so we headed back towards home,after driving 550 klms it went quiet,so we turned around and kept going.we are of to darwin,a 3200 klm trip. But man it's hot,no snow on our trip.
We are only travelling about 450 klms per day.
Take care and need we say it enjoy yourself.
Lawrie
Yeah, whenever I hear something strange, my heart skips a couple of beats, then I look at the speedometer. If it's reading any forward motion at all, I'm good to go. No worries as long as we're still going. Most new noises eventually go away or aren't a sign of anything to worry about before you get home anyway. I don't get worried until the speedometer involuntarily reads 0.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:06 AM   #89
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Yea, the bugs can get pretty thick up here. A lot of travelers of the alcan put window screen material over their grill for the trip. You don't have to clean as much off, and they can get so bad as to clog your radiator and effect cooling.
Loving the trip, I see that you posted another " Interior" shot for me.
A member actually sent me an original Ford accessory screen for the grill. But, I tried putting a screen in front of our family van in the summer once on a long cross country trip. The engine ran hotter until I took it off. Those screens actually block more air flow than any amount of bugs. Try it sometime at home with a table fan and some screen and see how much flow screen blocks.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:08 AM   #90
51 MERC-CT

As usual, some outstanding photos and narrative.
Do I see the birth of a 'coffee table book' in the future ?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #91
Old Henry

Day 6

We made a little better miles today, 452 to Teslin for the night, not quite to Alaska yet, 158 more miles to go. Total so far 2,200.

I thought it would be pretty much the same stuff as we'd seen and we'd just make some good mileage without many stops for pictures. But, there were some interesting things to see.

The main thing we watched for anxiously was places to get gas. I'd heard horror stories of how few and far between they were and how so many that used to be along the way had closed down. Here's one of the first ones we got to that was abandoned:

But, we eventually came upon one that was still in business. It was pretty quaint with the old style pumps and, none other than full service! Don't see that much any more.

And, when we went inside to pay he was still using the old credit card slider. Haven't seen one of those for years.

And, he had an old pop cooler a year older than Old Henry, made in 1946, that was still working and full of pop.

There were some other styles of fuel delivery too. This one had the pump attached right to the surface tank.

I think the highest price I paid for gas today was $1.599 per liter.

That's $5.90 per gallon!

I was glad when we finally hit a section of unpaved road. The drive wouldn't be complete without a little mud and dirt on the car. It's traditional.

But, alas, it was just a section under construction for just 3 miles. Oh well. At least we got our mud. There was just one other short section and the rest was all paved although fairly worn with a lot of patches.

A couple of the many quaint old cantilever bridges a long the way.

Stowaways. Some of 'em still kickin'.

Then we started to get into the high mountains.

Now, there is something interesting about the mountains here. We are driving at an elevation of only 1,221 meters, 4000 feet.

Yet, you see that we are almost at the timberline above which nothing will grow. That timberline where I live is up at 10,000 feet! I have found that the further north I have traveled, the lower the timberline. I first noticed that when I first went to Glacier National Park in Montana and the timberline was only 6,000 feet.

A couple of the many beautiful lakes along the way:

And some other mountain scenery:

Wild mountain sheep grazing along the side of the road. On what? Gravel?

And lots of bison, too. (No, they are not buffalo as many suppose. Those live in Africa.)

One final landscape with the low sun for the end of today's report.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-17-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #92
tiger.1000

Blimey ! That is truly amazing and there's folk bleating on about not getting their I Pad whatsitts working in the car !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #93
Ol' Ron

Well another thumb tack in the map. I also go down and drive the same road on street view, and have actually seen the same areas in your pictures. BTW, great bunch of guys back here.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #94
dude

Thank you , thank you..
Old 05-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #95
petehoovie

Craig,

Good music would be the 'frosting on the cake' that this trip of yours is. Did you bring any along with you? If so, can you give us a listen?....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #96
rowens55

Beautiful!!! Just beautiful!!! Lucky dog!!
Rowen
Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #97
36coupe

Nice
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #98
50fordcoupeman

If Canada uses any kind of salt product for deicing the roads, it could be the sheep have learned they can lick it up off the roadway.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #99
A bones

As per today's pix: OMG
Old 05-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #100
Fortunateson

Two questions: what does "'SHE" refer to and what's the deal with the map and the 86h? Is the map not up-dated?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote