Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
RalphG

Default Door Handle Removal 52 Merc

Looks like the inside door handles need to come off if I am going to get access to work on the window mechanism that won't wind down. I can't see how the inner door handle and window crank come off. Any advice out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc door handles.jpg (50.8 KB, 3 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Door Handle Removal 52 Merc

If it's anything like a contemporary Ford, the handles are held on by what we used to call "Jesus Christ" clips from the magic words sometimes required to get them off. There are a couple of special tools used to remove them. The first type is kinda' like a specialized pliers (which I never had much luck with), while the second is a kind of sheet metal plate with a specialized notch in the end that you push behind the door handle that spread the clips and pushes them off. I had better luck with these, except for one I bought that was too thick to fit in the slots in the handles. Get the thinnest one you can get. The last time I needed one, I found it on the "Help!" rack at NAPA.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If it's anything like a contemporary Ford, the handles are held on by what we used to call "Jesus Christ" clips from the magic words sometimes required to get them off. There are a couple of special tools used to remove them. The first type is kinda' like a specialized pliers (which I never had much luck with), while the second is a kind of sheet metal plate with a specialized notch in the end that you push behind the door handle that spread the clips and pushes them off. I had better luck with these, except for one I bought that was too thick to fit in the slots in the handles. Get the thinnest one you can get. The last time I needed one, I found it on the "Help!" rack at NAPA.
Thanks for the laugh with the "JC" clips.
Sometimes a metal dental pick with an "L" end can get 'em if you approach from the correct side.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

These are the two different tools for removal of the spring clips
You could make up a tool out of a hacksaw blade with a hook to catch the open end tang and pull it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip.jpg (201.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg clip1.jpg (186.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg clp.jpg (49.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 02-24-2016 at 02:30 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
RalphG

Thanks for all the info so far. I will have another look later today or tomorrow but I don't recall there being any space between the back side of the handle and the door panel.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Thanks for all the info so far. I will have another look later today or tomorrow but I don't recall there being any space between the back side of the handle and the door panel.
You have to push the door panel in as far as it will go and you may be able to see the slot on the back side of the handle. Between the wear washer and the handle.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
tubman

I have also heard you can wrap a rag around the shaft under the flange and if done right, it'll catch the end of the clip and pop it off. I personally have never had any luck doing it that way, but what's the harm in trying?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
rotorwrench

I have to use the plier types as pictured in one of the previous photos for my 1951 cars and the 1952 uses the same handles. It's just the way the handles were made. One tool can push the clip out on many different handles but some, like those Mercs, have to be pulled out from the other side.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote