Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #121
pgerhardt

Default Re: My Latest Haul and Collection thus Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
I was contemplating popping the engine back out of the frame and just painting it in pieces. Is it possible to pull it apart and paint the different pieces without having to completely disassemble it? I would like to freshen up the intake and exhaust manifolds too. What did you use to do that? High heat paint? Wire brush?

It looks really nice! I also have to change the oil and put a new seal in it. I have 5 new quarts of 10w30 oil and ZDDP for the oil. If I pour Mystery Marvel Oil into the spark plug holes, where does it end up going?

Anything else I should do before I try to start it up? I'll be ordering the bits for the starter soon. What are the silver spring loaded arms connecting the little arms on the steering column called? Any diagrams of how the engine should be configured? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Is it a pain to remove the distributor?

Thanks everyone! I'll keep the progress reports coming now that I found my charger.
That is the right way to do it. the castings were painted before assembly. The gaskets should not be painted. (They almost always are.) If it is rare to find a model A engine that has clean gaskets and nuts / bolts, it is even more rare to find a rear end that way! It is a sure sign the restoration was done by someone with a fare amount of OCD like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30a-Engine.jpg (77.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 21-Rear End.jpg (99.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 24-Chassis.jpg (87.7 KB, 21 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote