Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2016, 12:58 AM   #21
jfreddie

Default Re: 6v generater vs 6v alternator

I've found Becker Antique Auto Electric to be a great source for a 6v alt. 419-668-5986 in Norwalk, OH. The price is just over $100 and he sends the one wire alt in a flat rate box, complete with mounting bracket.
I keep my gen under the back seat if the alt ever quits. After 10 years still going strong.
Other reason I switched to alt is that gen parts are getting expensive...over $100 for an armature...and only available for the rear bushing type.
A word on belts. I went through several original style belts using the alt. The smaller pulley puts more stress on the belt. I switched to the scalloped style belt and have had no probs.
That's my two cents. Thanks...
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #22
Brian in Wheeling

6V pod ground alt for me....heck I ain't going to Hershey and I don't have to impress anyone. To each their own.

Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #23
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor View Post
I've heard some talk about an alternator built into a generator case.
This would be the best of both worlds.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Has any body tried this company? http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #24
mhsprecher

I have a Powermaster alternator on my Town Sedan that works great and looks pretty good. I bought it to drive the car to Niagara Falls for the MARC meet, which I never did, but the battery is always good to go. I want to put a Powerhouse back on my 28 at some point (it has a later generator on it) to try what Tom W. has done. I am far from an electrical wizard, but I am very happy with my alternator.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #25
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreddie View Post
I've found Becker Antique Auto Electric to be a great source for a 6v alt. 419-668-5986 in Norwalk, OH. The price is just over $100 and he sends the one wire alt in a flat rate box, complete with mounting bracket.
I keep my gen under the back seat if the alt ever quits. After 10 years still going strong.
Other reason I switched to alt is that gen parts are getting expensive...over $100 for an armature...and only available for the rear bushing type.
A word on belts. I went through several original style belts using the alt. The smaller pulley puts more stress on the belt. I switched to the scalloped style belt and have had no probs.
That's my two cents. Thanks...

Larry Becker Sr., the original owner, passed away a few years ago, I believe one of his sons runs the business now. For many years Larry's six-volt positive ground alternators sold for $75. He never raised the price.

I first met Larry at a MAFCA meet in 1992 and bought one of his alternators. Twenty years later a diode in it shorted out. It was still putting out power, but would drain the battery when parked. I took it apart and found the bad diode and went looking for a replacement but could not find one.

A short time later I attended another MAFCA meet and Larry was there and I asked him if he could fix my alternator. OF course, he said ,it is under warranty. I reminded him I purchased it 20 years ago and I expect to pay you to fix it. I know, he said, it is still under warranty.

I sent him the 20 year old alternator and he sent me a new one and only asked that I pay the shipping. Larry was certainly an asset to the Model A hobby.

Looking at all the posts above it appears that many Model A people hate alternators. I certainly wouldn't argue with them, but I can tell you that a battery loves an alternator because it keeps it fully charged all the time and never overcharges it so it will last longer.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #26
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post

Looking at all the posts above it appears that many Model A people hate alternators. I certainly wouldn't argue with them, but I can tell you that a battery loves an alternator because it keeps it fully charged all the time and never overcharges it so it will last longer.

Tom Endy
A generator with a voltage regulator is no different than an alternator as far as the battery is concerned, unless you are running higher current drain devices that the generator can't keep up with. A modern alternator has a higher current output (amps) than the original generator.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #27
rickblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor View Post
I've heard some talk about an alternator built into a generator case.
This would be the best of both worlds.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Check the MAFCA website's ADVERTISERS page. Powergen does make an alternator that looks just like a stock generator. Bring your wallet though
rickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #28
daren007

We have 100 amp alternators on our twin piston engine airplanes. 100 amps is peak output. Continuous output is about 70 amps. This should be kept in mind. 60 amps may not be reliable continuous output.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #29
David R.

Do whatever makes you happy. My modern cars have computers and alternators. I can’t (don’t want to) work on them. My AA will have a generator and no computer. I enjoy working on it.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #30
Peyton

Safewiz, congratulations on using your Model A as a daily driver in s. Fla. You're doing what most of us just dream about. You're doing a lot of driving!

You're correct about the lights being brighter when idling with the alternator. But, I do carry a generator/ cutout on long trips just in case the alternator quits on me. It hasn't yet.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #31
WTSHNN

As an FYI...

You can usually find a power gen 6v Model A style alternator on Amazon for $325. It's prime eligible so free shipping for prime members. Walmart.com sometimes has them for that price as well.

-Tim
Old 03-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #32
Purdy Swoft

For brightest headlamps the alternator is the best . I prefer the look of the original generator . I run the completely original unmodified model A generator on 12 volts with good results . I use and prefer the FUN PROJECTS can style voltage regulator that takes the place of the cutout and looks the same . The lights are good but still not as bright as they would be if a 60 amp alternator and 12 volt battery was used .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #33
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreddie View Post

Just an aside, you can still get all of the different generator armatures (minus the powerhouse of course) from Snyder's. They are expensive though.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/S...?word=armature
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #34
VinceBlack

I built a 6 volt positive ground 10si . Installing was easy, built my own bracket and was able to use original belt and wire. I like it better for everyday driving. I painted alternator black to help blend in. It's what ever you like. Some like chocolate some like vanilla both make you fat.
VinceBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #35
Y-Blockhead

I'm running a PowerGen, 12v alternator that looks like a generator. Available in 6v also.

I just don't like the looks of a 'modern' alternator on a Model A.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:49 AM   #36
old31

Y, thats a nice looking engine bay.

I also have installed the powergen 6v alt, and I would never go back for all the same pluses as listed in the above threads.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #37
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterEric View Post
Anybody out there done the switch, would be interested in pros and cons and if easy to switch or is it a simple pull out and drop in? 1928 Model A pickup
I switched and someplace on this blog, I will try and find the brackets I fashioned for the 6 Volt Alternator. My only reason for the change was strictly current demand changes and no real current regulation against current draw from the 3 brush generator. I had replaced the headlamps with 6 volt Halogen sealed beams and the current to work them was somewhat higher and I would either wind up boiling the battery with overcharge during the day or run with headlights on all the time or undercharge at night. The lazy answer was a regulated gen or Alternator. I chose an alternator.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #38
bkensinger

Unless you are into fine point judging an alternator offers greater charging ability and is maintenance free. I changed over to the Nurex because I wanted to tour and not worry about dim headlights or overcharging the battery. An electronic cutout will improve the performance of a generator. However, there is a reason all new cars have alternators.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #39
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceBlack View Post
I built a 6 volt positive ground 10si . Installing was easy, built my own bracket and was able to use original belt and wire. I like it better for everyday driving. I painted alternator black to help blend in. It's what ever you like. Some like chocolate some like vanilla both make you fat.
Can you supply info on doing the 10si conversion?
Old 03-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #40
AL in NY

I decided to run an alternator because at the time I purchased halogen headlight bulbs with the new Bratton's reflectors for better night vision. I don't like the looks of an alternator on a Model A. Somehow, I found that Russ Evans makes just what I was looking for, an alternator the looks EXACTLY LIKE a Model A generator. Russ Evans is in Simi Valley, California and makes this alternator with the correct cutout included. It's a 45 amp, 6 volt, positive ground unit that will pass fine point judging. It cost about $385.00 (in 2016). Russ stands 100% behind his alternators and will replace any defective units without question. He is a Model A guy and will build the unit for your car, just supply him with your month/year build date and he will make up one exactly as needed for your car. He doesn't have a web site or email, but he can be reached by phone at (805) 428-2564. He also makes a 12 volt, negative ground unit. I bought mine from Russ because I felt better about giving my money to him verse a big corporation. I purchased it in 2011 and have put over 10,000 miles on it without a single problem. The battery is always perfectly charged and I don't have to worry about driving at night. Unfortunately, I don't know if Russ is still making these alternators.

Last edited by AL in NY; 03-06-2020 at 04:56 PM.
AL in NY is offline   Reply With Quote