Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2023, 03:26 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default Trailer bearings

This is about trailers not Model A’s but even so I think that this might be a good resource. I want to replace the hub/wheel bearings on my car hauler trailer. It has #3,500 axles, 10 x 2 1/2” brakes. I want to replace the bearings but if I can’t get anything made in US (rather than China) I won’t bother. I would guess that the source for US made bearings would have be NOS.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #2
Vic in E-TN

Default Re: Trailer bearings

Take 1 wheel off and take the hub apart. Look at the bearings on the hub for the numbers. See a bearing supplier for a cross reference to what is there and purchase a good replacement part.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:33 PM   #3
Oldcarbearings

Timken do make trailer bearings,
If you have access to a vernier caliper measure either the old cone (roller bearing) or the stub axle which'll give you the ID &then measure where the cup sits inside the hub,
This'll serve 2x purposes: 1x it'll give you the measurement for both the bearing cup& oil seal OD,
Or you can read the part numbers off the old bearings& oil seal.
Oldcarbearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:26 PM   #4
jeepguy1948

My question is not about figuring out what bearings I have and it’s not about where to buy those bearings (both of those things are very easy). My question is this.. Does anybody know where I can buy USA made bearings? If I can’t find anything except CHINESE bearings I will continue to run what I have, even with all the miles they have on them I trust them a lot more than I would CHINESE bearings. Does anybody know of a source for USA made bearings? Are Timken bearings still made in the USA? Is there a source for new old stock USA made bearings? Looking on etrailer for example, they show that the bearings that they have for this application are made in CHINA. I don’t want bearings made in CHINA.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:12 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
My question is not about figuring out what bearings I have and it’s not about where to buy those bearings (both of those things are very easy). My question is this.. Does anybody know where I can buy USA made bearings? If I can’t find anything except CHINESE bearings I will continue to run what I have, even with all the miles they have on them I trust them a lot more than I would CHINESE bearings. Does anybody know of a source for USA made bearings? Are Timken bearings still made in the USA? Is there a source for new old stock USA made bearings? Looking on etrailer for example, they show that the bearings that they have for this application are made in CHINA. I don’t want bearings made in CHINA.
Properly lubed and adjusted bearings (and not overloaded) wheel bearings have an infinite lifespan, that is they will never wear out.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #6
Joe K

Purchase from the OEM is no guarantee it is made in the US.

Even Timkin is now made in China. A cousin recently (i.e. within 10 years) worked his engineering interneship for Timkin and his first assignment was to a Timkin production facility in China.

The nice thing about "name brand US" sourced parts from a legacy provider is there is some guarantee that the parts have been produced to American standards. But quality is a step beyond even standards - and its hard to know if the esoteric aspects of quality have been maintained: quality is more than mere specification and some aspects involve "care and interest."

A Briggs & Stratton 8 hp horizontal shaft engine a case in point. For years the "F-head" engine have used a rather durably made updraft carburetor - aside from adjustments it is a successor certainly to the Model A Zenith.

I recently creamed a carburetor on a B&S "Horse" Troybilt Tiller: close turn near the chicken wire fence. A replacement carburetor sourced from B&S runs in the order of $85-$90 from the dealer. It is made in China (of course) to B&S standards.

Go on Ebay and you'll find the IDENTICAL carburetor - delivered - for about $12.

As experiment I bought the $12 carburetor and was pleased when it arrived as it mentioned "8HP Briggs & Stratton Replacement" in English on the cover of the box.

One issue - the flange bolting was tapped Metric something-or-other. No metric bolts included in the box. To the parts drawers I go.

The second issue - the carburetor was assembled, but the main jet and its adjustment had TOTALLY missed the port in the venturi - a defect found only after actually going to the labor of getting metric bolts, attaching, attempting several attempts at adjustment, and finally giving up and putting it on the work-bench to do an item by item comparison with the original broken carburetor.

Now would the situation have been better had I ponied up the $90 and bought the B&S replacement - probably. At least I would have the option of returning the part and having B&S either return the money or correct the defect. With Ebay/China you will get lost in the tortuous path of customs/warranty/return postage/impoundment/supply chain delays. China hides a lot in their low Ebay price since most Americans will walk away and say they didn't lose much compared to the hassle of pursuing a claim.

This quality deficit is to the advantage to a low cost producer: you sign over not only your design to China but also your market position as they price themselves using your own design to "undercut" you slightly. Or undercut you a lot.

Walmart made a business empire within US borders doing exactly that.

Truth is, and our failing is, we don't make much in the US anymore.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 01-31-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:31 AM   #7
trulyvintage

Arrow Re: Trailer bearings

What you want is not what is necessarily available.
It is what you have to settle for unless you
make your own - this applies to everything.

Everything you use has some connection
to a location outside the continental
lower 48 states.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:51 AM   #8
51504bat

Just because bearings (or other parts as well) aren't USA made doesn't mean they aren't high quality. For example, King engine bearings made Israel. Using them in my 8ba with no issues. Many race engine builders use only King bearings as well. After posting this I'm sure others will post that King bearings are junk, etc.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:20 PM   #9
jeepguy1948

My only real issue is with crap made in China. Even if their part looks like a perfect match their metallurgy is terrible. Of all the things I deal with, good trustworthy bearing on my car hauling trailers is at the top of the list. You can’t tell how good the metal is by looking at it. I have heard importers say that the customer is their quality control. A friend of mine owns a hardware store that sells Milwaukee tools. You know how expensive the dang batteries are? A battery from China cost’s them $5 to make, they sell it to their retailers for $50 and the retailer sells it for $100. Here is a fact about Chinese culture that people are not aware of. In China they believe that to copy (we might say “knock off”) something made by someone else is the highest form of flattery. But here’s the rub, they feel absolutely no need to match the quality, only the appearance. In the case of Milwaukee, it was not a case of moving production to China to survive it was to make massive profits. At 500% mark up do you think that they can deal with some defective product? As said above “bearings should last forever “if maintained””. But when you buy used, who knows about how it’s been maintained? But, my original post was not about all this crap, I was simply asking if anybody knew of a source for USA made bearings? And if not new manufacture, a source for NOS bearings? Nobody yet has actually answered that question. I know that if a person does not know the answer to the question they may not bother to post “don’t know”, but I was hopeful someone might know of a source. So far, I have been told how to figure out what bearing I need (I already know that), where to buy the bearing i need (I already know that too), if properly maintained bearings last forever (yep, know that too but if you buy used who knows if it’s been properly maintained?) As I said at the beginning, although I would prefer new bearings, if I cannot find bearings NOT MADE IN CHINA I will re use what I have. I feel that I am better off with the used than with new Chinese crap.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:58 PM   #10
ModelA29

Timkin has bearings made to their specs in China. They have QC there and also here where they check (a sample %) that they meet all specs - size and metallurgy.

Brand X sells a similar ChiCom bearing but without the extensive QC - you take your chances when it arrives from ebay.
Clean and inspect your current bearings - any pitting on the surface means they are dying. If they are still smooth relube them and go another 10-20,000 miles.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:49 PM   #11
johnneilson

If you can, please post a picture of the existing bearings in your trailer.

John
Old 02-03-2023, 05:24 PM   #12
burner31

Check to see if there is a bearing supplier in your town, if so they will have what you need and about half the price of auto parts stores...that's what I do
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:40 PM   #13
Oldcarbearings

ASK Timken WHERE&WHO are your local TIMKEN distributors,
The ones we sell are stamped
"MADE IN THE USA" i imagine O'reiilys, Napa, Summit, etc (i.e. ANY autoparts store) ,
Or engineering supply store or trailer shop will stock TIMKEN bearings,
Here in Australia there's been a price increase in Timken throughout there range,
The next BEST IN QC tapered roller bearings are NTN ,
&THAT'S what brand i/we personally use on our cars inc trailers when cost of USA made Timken is too high, DO NOT under ANY circumstances BUY chinese IF the store can't&won't tell you WHERE there TIMKENS are made/sourced from buy NTN as at least NTN (OWN BCA/BOWER) are made in both japan &usa as well as have factories in europe&uk or use FAG/SKF BUT NOT korean made FAG bearings.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #14
ronn

this is a good thread and do consider US made bearings..........

I was towing a brand new trailer with heater unit up the Jersey Turnpike about 10 years ago. The bearings wiped out on the pass side and I ended up in the left lane dragging the trailer at 60mph.
The State police shut down all lanes within 2 minutes and allowed me to drag the trailer to the shoulder with the cummings.
2200. in tow and damages. left the trailer on the shoulder. BUY USA.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:48 PM   #15
jeepguy1948

As always Guyz, I appreciate the help. Please note, I know what bearings I need and I know where I can buy them. What I really want is to buy US made bearings (if that is at all possible). It seems to me that the only way to do it would be to find someone who had NOS bearings. That I’m afraid is very unlikely because my trailer has (two axles) 3,500# axles, the most common there is so inventory turnover would be rapid making it slim pickings for NOS stuff. There is probably some out there but I don’t know how to find them. Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #16
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
As always Guyz, I appreciate the help. Please note, I know what bearings I need and I know where I can buy them. What I really want is to buy US made bearings (if that is at all possible). It seems to me that the only way to do it would be to find someone who had NOS bearings. That I’m afraid is very unlikely because my trailer has (two axles) 3,500# axles, the most common there is so inventory turnover would be rapid making it slim pickings for NOS stuff. There is probably some out there but I don’t know how to find them. Thanks again!
I think you've been clear the whole time in your desire for US made trailer bearings. A bearing supplier is going to be your best bet, not an antique car forum. Start calling around, start local and go wider until you find them. I know they're not on this site!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:10 PM   #17
Oldcarbearings

It's called " effort"......,
USA made Timken bearings ARE available in ALL 50 states even in deliverance,hicksville,hillbilly remote places......,
It's also called "looking"/searching&seeking.....
Old 02-08-2023, 11:13 AM   #18
jeepguy1948

Since what I’m really looking for is a NOS bearing source, I don’t think an antique car site is a bad place to ask about it. And this is one way of looking and seeking. If this thread bugs you you don’t have to read it. I will move on however. Thank you to all who have tried to help.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:42 PM   #19
jeepguy1948

I found what I needed in Florida (I’m in Washington) thanks for the help Guyz.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:54 PM   #20
trulyvintage

Arrow Trailer bearings

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F66C31AC-230F-483E-8A9D-74E1020FCEC3.jpg (38.9 KB, 61 views)
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote