Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2022, 06:32 AM   #21
Slamnslash

Default Re: Does this sound like a good flathead build?

I am new to the world too. But I have been reading everything I can about the Ford flathead.
If you cannot build a quality motor yourself, expect to pay twice the value and be happy about it because you are paying for more than just a motor.
You should have taken the $4500 motor and that is coming from a guy who has a full machine shop at his disposal with 28 years of experience.
Slamnslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:06 AM   #22
Bored&Stroked

Seems some feathers became ruffled real fast . . . and then unruffled real fast. That is a good thing for all of us on the Barn. We're all here to collaborate with other likeminded folks, contribute when we can and listen to what others have to say . . . even if we don't always agree with them. Glad to see a civil ending to what was going off the rails a bit.

The Barn is a great place to participate in, though sometimes us "old dudes" can get a bit short on patience and or long on opinions! LOL

BTW: The price from GCG seems more than reasonable to me, though I don't have any idea as to who was supplying what for the build, nor the details involved in the work.

Best of luck to all . . .
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #23
19Fordy

$4500 is a very fair price for that engine. The crack free block alone is worth $800-1000. The parts and labor exceed $4500, not to mention the value of experience. It would have been worth the time to go meet the builder and hear it run. Now that "hugs have been exchanged", call the seller and complete the deal when you get there, if you still want the engine. Bring someone who knows flatheads with you.
One last thought: GOOGLE "Ford flathead engines for sale"

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-13-2022 at 11:41 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #24
Ol' Ron

Yes deffinately a good price. I've probably installed more L-100 cams than anybody else here on the barn. I think I started the "L-100" misteek. Most of the engines I built during the 90 and early 2000s had them. For those that think the sound of a flathead is important, this is the cam for you. Now for the bad side. With 245 degrees of intake timing, low speed torque is reduced, to fix this more displacement and higher compression is necessary. Small displacement engines don't have much compression to begin with and most people know how the measure it. Getting 8:1 CR in a 239 +.040 is almost impossible Believing the 6.8 CR you think your starting with is your first mistake.
I'm old and near blind, but I do know about Flatheads, I just forgot most of it.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:38 AM   #25
Gofastjoe

Go cats back at taking money and not producing. He promises and than does nothing. Lies. Tells you your next. Don’t send him a penny. Now he won’t give my money back. And is hold my heads and intake I paid for. …the excuses are overflowing. …
Gofastjoe is offline   Reply With Quote