Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
57ChevyWagonMan

Cool Flat Head Education

OK I got my 8BA truck motor broke loose, off the floor, and on a cart. I am going to pressure wash the thing off this week and work on the tear down some more.

My plan is to use this motor in a fender-less '30 model A 2 door sedan. I don't want to put crazy money in it. I basicly want it to be very reliable but still fast enough to drive on the interstates and able to run on cheep pump gas. My plan is to use most all of the parts over again replacing rings, and bearings of course. I really do not want to use dual carbs or aluminum heads. The motor has .040 over pistons with a stock ford crank. How much horsepower can I expect using dual exhaust and a port and polish plus a mild performance cam? I am also planing on running 34 ford wire wheels (17") on the rear with a 3.50:1 ratio rear end and a T-5 from a Chevy S-10 truck. Am I on the right track with this combo? What books are best for someone in my situation?

Thanks!

Mike
57ChevyWagonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Flat Head Education

WagonMan>>>How much horsepower can I expect>>>

I'll guess a hunnert plus or minus. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
ford1

your starting with a 100 h/p engine, what has been done (bored) so far and the upgrades you plan to do will maybe give you another 10-15 horse, the t5 is a great hi way trans, but the 3:50 gearing might be a little to high for long up hill pulls, i think you would be better off with a gearing some where around 3:73

Last edited by ford1; 10-22-2011 at 07:29 PM.
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

I have the same gear setup in my 40 coupe, T-5 W/3:50 gears. Course I have guite alot more hp in my 276, but my car is heaver than your Model A. I think you'll love it. You have alot of gears in that trans to play with. You'll be able to cruise the pike easy. At 60mph on the pike with a GPS I'm turning 2000rpm. Good gas mileage. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote