Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
JLford

Default 1952 Flathead

Hi all-

Took some pictures of the flathead that I hope to get running. It is missing a fuel line, a starter motor and i doubt that the carb is any good (it had an air filter on it before this picture though). The engine has not run in a very long time, 30 years perhaps. However, as you can see it has been garaged and is not in very poor shape. Any advice on necessary tips to getting this baby running? where would be the best places to purchase the parts for the best price?

The last picture is of my 1951 ford which runs but has problems of it's own!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.jpg (62.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (50.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (82.3 KB, 66 views)
JLford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
46fatford

Default Re: 1952 Flathead

I would first oil down the cylinders, then see if it will turn. If it does, congrats it'll probably run very easily. You may find some sticky valves, but getting one that turns over is half the battle. If it is stuck, try to soak the cylinders with a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF. Its about the best penetrant. Don't get in too much of hurry, just let it soak then rock it a little back and forth and it'll eventually break loose. If its still in the car you try dragging the car and dumping the clutch in 1st gear also. Other than freeing it up, I would file the points,clean the rotor and cap, get a good battery, rebuild your carb or borrow a known good one. Also I would prime the carb through the vent and if possible use a boat tank with a primer bulb to prime the pump. If the pump is questionable, I have actually ran some with the boat tank and primer bulb directly to the carb. I usually loosen belts on the pumps and generator too, just in case they are froze up. As for parts Macs has quite a bit as does Bob Drake, Egge,Dennis Carpenter etc. You can actually get points, fuel pump , gaskets etc at your local NAPA, Autozone or Advance auto too. I hope this helps.
Matt
Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
39portlander

Acetone and ATF, the secret sauce Got a stuck 8BAflattie thats going on an engine stand this weekend. I'm thinking a week's worth of work and she'l be turnin.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

guess you could steal the starter out of your '51....try to turn over with plugs out.....if trying to pull/bump start/turn over, i would suggest 2nd gear...little easier on stuff....good luck....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
Hoop

"If its still in the car you try dragging the car and dumping the clutch in 1st gear also."

" i would suggest 2nd gear...little easier on stuff."

Holy cats.

JLford, it's your car, and you can do what you want, but if it were my car, I wouldn't be doing any clutch dumping.

You can pour anything you want down the spark plug holes. Almost none of it will ever get to the valves ... and this should be your first concern. To check whether or not the valves are free, you have to pull the intake off.

Just a couple of months ago, some friends tried to free up a '40 by aggressively rocking the car in gear. They succeeded in popping the horseshoe clips off several of the valve guides, pushing the guides up without actually freeing the valves.

Trying to free up engines that have sat for 30 or so years without being properly stored takes more than soaking. Stuff happens inside engines that requires a good inspection and cleaning in addition to freeing them up.

If the engine does not break loose with relatively easy force, don't just get a bigger hammer. And, I wouldn't depend on shortcuts and snake oil.

Last edited by Hoop; 10-22-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
JLford

thanks for the replies everyone, do youthink it would be easier to get running if it was out of the car?
JLford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
TomO

I would only pull the engine if you decide to rebuild it. IMHO it would be a good idea for an engine that has sat for 30 years.