Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Hotrodvideo

Default '32 Vintique gas tank cracked

Anyone ever have a Vintique tank crack? It cracked right near the LH seam.

If somebody has had this happen, is it from stress?

I'm using an original '32 frame with spreader bar and I have the correct rubber gaskets and bolts from Roy Nacewicz. I didn't think I would have any problems like this!
Hotrodvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: '32 Vintique gas tank cracked

This being a major safety issue, I think you are due a $$$$ apology from Vintique.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Hotrodvideo

I have no way of proving anything though. I bought it from Speedway and for all I know, someone could have dropped it and it caused the crack??

I assume Vintique tests these tanks before they ship them anywhere right?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
DICK SPADARO

Even from your post it is hard to determine the root of your problem. A picture may be more helpful but the first call should be to the vendor you purchased the tank from and then if necessary to the manufacturer making them aware of the situation. I am sure if the tank is defective they would want to see the failure also. To respond to your question my first inquiry would be, where is the crack in the tank body or in the pinchweld seam? My second question is how is tour tank fastened in the frame?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Hotrodvideo

Here's a picture, it's just below where it's brazed. The steel has bubbled out right where it cracked but you really can't see it in the picture.

Like I said, it's bolted down using hardware from Roy Nacewicz in the stock holes in the frame and there is a spreader bar on it too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crack2.jpg (50.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Looks like the metal was too hot, oxidised, I have done it myself--but not on a gas tank, and given that it is in a stressed area any repair with glue will probably not last
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Gumpy

speedway should make good on the tank .....thats a factory defect and they should replace!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodvideo View Post
Anyone ever have a Vintique tank crack? It cracked right near the LH seam.

If somebody has had this happen, is it from stress?

I'm using an original '32 frame with spreader bar and I have the correct rubber gaskets and bolts from Roy Nacewicz. I didn't think I would have any problems like this!
I still haven't seen the post where you discussed the problem with Vintique or Speedway. There will always be defects with manufactured parts. The real test of the company is how they handle the problem. Please post how they handle the problem as that is very important to everyone.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Hotrodvideo

I e-mailed Vintique on Friday, have not heard back from them yet.

The only problem I might have is that I MIG welded some threads onto the top of the filler neck because I wanted a screw on cap. I doubt that is why there is a crack in it, it's about a foot from where the crack is and I took my time so that the tank didn't heat up to much and distort, but either way they'll say it was my fault.

I took it to a tank expert to have it checked out, we'll see what he says.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
TJ

You will probably not hear from Vintique. I had one of their steering wheels that cracked and they did not return my calls. I then contacted the vendor who sold me the wheel and he sent me a new wheel after I shiiped the old one to him. The vendor says he buys a lot of stuff from them and he would have them take care of it with him. You may have a problem if you modified the tank.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
jimTN

Worst case, clean the metal real well and lay the solder to it.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
rotorwrench

I don't know how vintiques manufactures their tanks but a sign of brazing just doesn't seem like a way to do one. It almost sounds like a previous repair. I've repaired a lot of tanks by brazing them but it's hit or miss about leakage at the repair area. I always pressure check them with soapy water after a repair then re-braze until the leak is GONE. It's a b!tch doing one with water in it but it has always worked for me. Don't like big KaBooms!

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
DICK SPADARO

Lets take a hint here, this is not the place to handle a dispute with a defective product, nor will E mailing the manufacturer directly. This will not speed up the process as there is no trail that you even purchased the product from them, it could have been purchased damaged at a flea market and it would appear to be a scam to get something for free.

This is one of the important points of dealing with reputable vendors, if you have a problem or experience a defective part from a manufacturer they can act as an advocate or referee to help you in a positive resolution to your problem.

Your first step is to call the company you purchased the product from, and begin a process to resolve the defect. That means CALL to the customer service telephone line, Call doesn't mean e-mail, it means call in person. If you call in person you eliminate the BS of multiple cryptic messages to resolve an issue, that take forever and gets everyone frustrated. Make sure that you find your purchase receipt or have an idea of the approximate time you purchased the part so it could be referenced on a computer record. Keep track of the customer service persons name and follow their instructions regarding the procedure for returning the part for evaluation. Doing so will reverse the chain of distribution so you can resolve your issue.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
ford38v8

Dick, good on ya. So many times we kick the can back and forth here with no resolve in sight or even possible from this Forum. It takes someone like you to speak up and tell it like it is.

Hotrodvideo, let's hear how you faired after following the correct procedure as Dick suggests.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICK SPADARO View Post
Lets take a hint here, this is not the place to handle a dispute with a defective product, nor will E mailing the manufacturer directly. This will not speed up the process as there is no trail that you even purchased the product from them, it could have been purchased damaged at a flea market and it would appear to be a scam to get something for free.

This is one of the important points of dealing with reputable vendors, if you have a problem or experience a defective part from a manufacturer they can act as an advocate or referee to help you in a positive resolution to your problem.

Your first step is to call the company you purchased the product from, and begin a process to resolve the defect. That means CALL to the customer service telephone line, Call doesn't mean e-mail, it means call in person. If you call in person you eliminate the BS of multiple cryptic messages to resolve an issue, that take forever and gets everyone frustrated. Make sure that you find your purchase receipt or have an idea of the approximate time you purchased the part so it could be referenced on a computer record. Keep track of the customer service persons name and follow their instructions regarding the procedure for returning the part for evaluation. Doing so will reverse the chain of distribution so you can resolve your issue.
As a former Customer Service Rep, I totally agree with Dick's suggestions. Most Service Reps actually enjoy trying to straighten out problems and help the customer. Give them something to work with to help you. DO NOT start out with an attitude ! That's the surest way to decrease your Reps interest in trying to help.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

If you plan on brazing it run the car with the exhaused pipe in the filler hole of the tank for a hour .then weld it no water .no ca bang

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #17
HotRodmicky

Did you use the spring loaded bolts to mount the tank???
On a stock chassis you need that.
Not so much on aftermarket(boxed etc)
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #18
Hotrodvideo

Yes, again I used the correct mounting hardware from Roy Nacewicz. The RH bolt is spring loaded only, the LH bolts are regular bolts and nuts.

Vintique does not have a ph to call on their website, only an e-mail address.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
B-O-B

As you have stated in your post you modified the tank so I doubt you will get any recourse. Most warranties state not valid if modified. I know you stated it was not in the area of the crack. I would start with contacting speedway first.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
Bob C

Did a search and this came up. Vintique (714) 634-1932
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote