Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
JRHASZARD

Default Transmission lineage

Casting about in darkness, again. Misfortune has caused me to seek aid from the group. I am wanting to install the nice rebuilt transmission in my 39 pickup and move on instead of lingering to beat dead horses. I am just about to the end of my runway and what doesn't get finished will soon go to the bottom feeders when my widow moves back to Brazil.
This pickup was about as derelict as you could get when I got it. Who knows what parts are actually on it. I am trying to install the engine and transmission but am unsure about the arm on the clutch release shaft. The shaft arm it had seemed to be shorter than the one it came back with from the overhauler's shop. That one is 4 1/2 inches center to center. I am worried that if I install the engine and transmission with this arm, it may not be the correct geometry for the pedal setup in this truck. I don't want to have to remove everything and do it over I want to be sure all is going to fit before it goes in. I am still angry about the JC Whitney clutch plate I installed with a crescent wrench and pliers in my $150.00 MGTD in 1964 and then found out it was in backwards. And the two tools weren't even Whitworth.
First, the pedal mount has the number 91A-2467 stamped on it. I am unable to ascertain if this is correct for my truck. Would anyone know? This would be a place to start. I don't care if it is correct as long as it works.
Second, the clutch shaft arm on there now is from a 37 I believe the man said. Didn't get to talk to him before he had to take another call.
It would be nice if I could resolve some of this hobby stuff in a timely manner as I have some more pressing responsibilities and may not get back to this soon if ever.
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Transmission lineage

Green Book list it as compatible with 39 pass and com.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91A2467.jpg (70.7 KB, 33 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Bob C

Here you go from Vanpelts site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7511-clutcharms.jpg (55.4 KB, 97 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:15 AM   #4
Mac VP

John, I’m very sorry about the phone communication issue yesterday....in trying to put you on hold I inadvertently disconnected you and was then stuck on two more long calls.

We were out of the 39 clutch arms so you had okayed the installation of a 1933-34 arm on your transmission. At the time, you still didn’t know what clutch/pedal assembly you had so we were guessing at what might work. As you have now confirmed that you do have the actual 1939 pedal assembly on your pickup truck, ideally you should have a 91A-7511 clutch arm. The 33-34 arm we installed is very close in its angle but is about an inch longer.

So, yes, it could affect the geometry of the linkage. If you can locate the correct arm, it’s fairly easy to swap these arms, as long as the transmission is still out of the vehicle. Let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help out.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
russcc

You have the right pedals, try Ray Helgers in RI at 401 635 4849, or Fred Wilner at South Side MN, 507 332 6789, they may have it.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
JRHASZARD

Thanks to everyone who gave me info. Mack, I got your message but had to go to Richmond for a couple of days for tests. Thanks again for the nice job.
John
Old 05-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHASZARD View Post
The shaft arm it had seemed to be shorter than the one it came back with from the overhauler's shop. That one is 4 1/2 inches center to center.

First, the pedal mount has the number 91A-2467 stamped on it. I am unable to ascertain if this is correct for my truck. Would anyone know? This would be a place to start. I don't care if it is correct as long as it works.
Second, the clutch shaft arm on there now is from a 37 I believe the man said. Didn't get to talk to him before he had to take another call.
It would be nice if I could resolve some of this hobby stuff in a timely manner as I have some more pressing responsibilities and may not get back to this soon if ever.

JR.....Here's the "STRAIGHT" skinny on what ya got, and what ya NEED. That pedal mount number (91A-2467) IS correct. That "9" indicates "1939", the "1" indicates FORD (specifically), the "A" specifies "Passenger Car" application PRIMARILY....although in this case, 1/2-ton pick-up is identical. "2467" is Ford-talk for a brake/clutch pedal BRACKET. In the case of 1939 Fords, the bracket AND both pedals are a "ONE-YEAR-ONLY" assembly. So, what you have sounds correct. Below is a picture of a 1939 pedal set. Note that the oddball clutch actuating arm is actually to the right (as you view it from the driver seat) of the brake actuating mechanism...ONE-YEAR-ONLY pedal assembly!

You mention that you believe the clutch arm mounted on the transmission's throw-out shaft is of '37 vintage. (NOTE: I don't see an arm with a 4-1/2" c/l to c/l dimension in the pic below) BUT if so, a '37 lever arm (48-7511) will be of a STRAIGHT up and down (vertical) shape. It's actual center to center distance rise between holes is actually only 1/8" shorter than the 91A-7511 arm ("7511" is Ford-talk for a clutch shaft release arm), which you would likely never notice the difference in release ratio. BUT....if you notice below in the picture of the different Ford release arms, the "91A-" arm angles toward the driver side of the vehicle.....IMPORTANT detail.

The importance of that offset to the drivers' side will become evident in the next picture. The difference is because of the earlier models' ('35-'38) brake/clutch pedal set-up being entirely different (mechanical brakes) than the new for '39 hydraulic brake set-up. Things got moved-around a little. Note the LEFT OFFSET of the "91A-7511" arm in the next picture of a 1939 set-up. If you continued to use your current '37 arm (48-7511), the linkage ROD/clevis would not line-up properly in a straight line, and would likely bind, at best.

If you are not able to source a correct, used 91A-7511 arm from the likes of Mac VanPelt, 3rd Gen, etc., Drake shows a reproduction (and they DON'T appear to be BACK-ORDERED) of the 91A-7511 for $20 bucks....link and picture below!

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...d-e04187ffc8f7

Hopefully, this info will help you to understand what you have, and what you need to make your '39 "RIGHT"! DD

………..

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
JRHASZARD

That's very good of you to go to all this trouble. I misstated 1937 instead of 1933. In any event, I will call Bob Drake on Tuesday. I may be up for another coronary artery replacement graft so this stuff will have to wait for awhile. Trying to tie up some loose ends with all my junk first.
John
Old 05-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHASZARD View Post
I may be up for another coronary artery replacement graft so this stuff will have to wait for awhile. Trying to tie up some loose ends with all my junk first.
John
Those are always fun! Been there, done that.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
JRHASZARD

Last one was eight years ago. Father died at 73 with thoracic aortic aneurism. Older brother passed away at 73 with same thing. I am 73 now and also have one but hopefully it isn't too bad. Too many good times on Friday night stag bar on base.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 AM   #11
flatford8

Good luck with your surgery!....I’ve got a few stents in my pump....both parents had them and my three older siblings all have the same thing.....I guess were running “non-detergent” blood..Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I went in to see about stents and they said "not happing". Ended up with quad bypass surgery. But quick recovery. Turns out your heart likes oxygen!