Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
Bill in NJ

Default 4 cylinder dist rebuild

Looking form info or video on how to take it apart etc.
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 4 cylinder dist rebuild

which 4 cyl? 32-34 or 41

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
Bill in NJ

Hate to say it but I have no idea. Problem number two is I can't post pictures. Tough getting old !! Mom tells me that every day and she is 100 years young ??
Old 05-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
Hate to say it but I have no idea. Problem number two is I can't post pictures. Tough getting old !! Mom tells me that every day and she is 100 years young ??
If you can send emails I can post any photos for you. Let me know if that will work.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
Bob C

Which one does it look like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B-dist.jpg (90.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 9N-dist.jpg (55.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #6
Bill in NJ

The first one
Old 05-13-2018, 12:00 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
The first one
Look carefully. Look at how the condenser is mounted. If it is the first one then it is a Model B (1932'34) four cylinder Ford. The best place for parts is Renner's Corner, (734) 428-8424. Sure like to see a picture, the Model A is close.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
Bob C

Check out the link to Vince's site, it should answer your question.
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bdistributordetails.htm

Bob
Old 05-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
ursus

Rotate the upper plate and the flex spring underneath will push it up and free of the groove it rides in. Ideally, the winged mount for the cam will be free and not stuck to the shaft. Be careful with the weight and spring assemblies and, if you dismantle it, be sure to replace each piece in its exact original position.

Also, one quirk of the Model-B distributor is that many - if not most - were made with an upper bushing that covers the drilling for the oiler, which defeats the purpose. If this is the case on yours, you might remove the oiler and carefully drill a hole through the bushing and clean any resulting burrs on the bearing surface.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
DavidG

ursus,

With respect, it was not a quirk, but rather intentional as the hole was covered for a reason, namely to avoid excess oil from getting on the shaft and possibly working its way upward with the rotation of the shaft and fouling the points. That upper bushing was not an ordinary solid brass bushing, but rather was porous to feed the shaft oil very slowly. The same special material was also used for the bushing on the front of the shaft in V8 distributors.

If you replace the upper bushing with one made of solid material you will most certainly starve the upper shaft of lubricant.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
ursus,

With respect, it was not a quirk, but rather intentional as the hole was covered for a reason, namely to avoid excess oil from getting on the shaft and possibly working its way upward with the rotation of the shaft and fouling the points. That upper bushing was not an ordinary solid brass bushing, but rather was porous to feed the shaft oil very slowly. The same special material was also used for the bushing on the front of the shaft in V8 distributors.

If you replace the upper bushing with one made of solid material you will most certainly starve the upper shaft of lubricant.
That is interesting and it is true that every distributor I have seen with a blocked oil passage was also fitted with bushings of the dimpled Oilight type, which was designed for the application you describe. I have also see a couple distributors with an open passage that appeared to be made that way but I don't recall the bushing type.

My disconnect on this is: 1) why did they bother to install an oiler cap if there was no passage to the shaft? and, 2) why does the situation of oil moving up to foul the points not seem to be an issue on the Model-A distributor, which has the same design and would otherwise have the same potential for this problem?
I have never seen a Model A distributor have this problem so why would it be an issue with the Model B version. Just trying to understand this conundrum...
Old 05-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #12
Bill in NJ

I should have started this thread with my problem which is the distributor shaft is frozen. Question is how do I fix it ?? Thanks in advance
Old 05-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
Bill in NJ

Any ideas ??
Old 05-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #14
Bob C

I would pull the shaft out and replace the bushings and inspect the shaft for damage.

Bob
Old 05-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #15
DavidG

ursus,

The presence of the oiler is have a place to add (and store) oil as it is gradually fed to the bushing. I guess you are unaware of porous bronze bushings. How would you have done it differently knowing that you needed a constant source of oil to feed the porous bushing?

Like a lot of things on a Model B engine, the distributor is a big improvement. Your question is fair, but I would add why did they wait to move the condenser when its Model A location is clearly inferior to that of the B condenser location?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #16
ursus

QUOTE: The presence of the oiler is have a place to add (and store) oil as it is gradually fed to the bushing.

That makes sense. I am aware of porous bronze bushings and understood that they were originally sold under the Oilight name. I wasn't aware that they could be fed from the exterior side. The old instructions for this type of bushing simply instructed one to soak the bushing in oil prior to installing.