Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2023, 10:25 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Airing Out Grievances Driving In Modern Traffic

Get the good, the bad and the ugly off of your chest on this post. I for one enjoy driving my Model A's and I anticipate giving modern vehicles the right of way. Here are my major concerns while driving in modern traffic and what I do to compensate:
  • Equip my Model A's to cope better with modern traffic including turn signals, LED brake lights, 2 tail lights, outside rear view mirrors on both sides of the car, Halogen headlights, cast iron brake drums, Flat Head Ted's brake floaters, hi-compression cylinder head;
  • Moderns will cut you off 100% of the time, so leave lots of room in front of you for them, at least two car lengths;
  • Signal your intentions well before you make a maneuver, so the modern behind you has a clue to what you are about to do;
  • On local roads, keep up with traffic. I will cruise up to 50 MPH if traffic density permits;
  • On Model A club runs, leave the group and go to the destination solo if they are poky and holding up traffic;
  • You need to have good situational awareness. Beware of drivers on cell phones, beware of aggressive drivers weaving in and out of traffic, beware of soccer moms and give those entering the road plenty of room in front of you;
  • Beware of the drivers who get excited at seeing your Model A and beep the horn which scares me most of the time;
  • Always give the modern vehicle the right of way!
  • If driving by a truck, its driver cannot see you if you cannot see his mirrors. Never cruise alongside of a truck!
  • Do not use a cell phone or video player while driving!
  • Avoid driving on the interstates and other highways if possible. Use the service roads and county roads.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: Airing Out Grievances Driving In Modern Traffic

Hello, many of the statements you made a applicable when driving a modern car. I always drive in a defense manner, awaiting the other drivers to do something stupid. Cell phones are great, but not when driving.Many driving newer cars don’t understand the limitations of older cars and want to see them closer, so hang on behind then finally pass . I try to pull over to let cars pass to be proactive.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Being a long time motorcycle rider I developed "defensive driving" a long time ago. I see the only difference is a bike stops much faster, maneuvers better and you can "throw it away" if you have to!

One thing I added to my Town Sedan in addition to the items you listed is a third brake light that flashes five times before staying solid to get their attention.

One of the things that really scares me is the way people come to a stop on side street. They speed up to the stop sign and roll right past the limit line, making it appear they are not going to stop and T-Bone me. My son got dinged when taking his driving test for doing that exact thing!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd BL.jpg (41.6 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Inside #rd BL.jpg (52.6 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-06-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #4
meteorgray

I like that brake light. Where did you get it? Not too many drivers are aware of
the limitations of older cars.
meteorgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
WHN

Old cars are like us old people. There are things we can no longer do safely.

Keeping up with a teenager or handling like a 2023 Ford are just two of them.

That’s one of the reasons I sold off my last Model A. It was no longer safe to drive in todays traffic, and I was no longer safe to drive it in todays traffic.

My advise is know when it’s time to retire. Tom Brady!

Enjoy.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:36 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorgray View Post
I like that brake light. Where did you get it? Not too many drivers are aware of
the limitations of older cars.
I assembled it from various parts I had, RED LEDs, and old underhood light I got off of e-bay, mount I made, etc.

Here is the "brains" I used to make it flash, it can be used on any brake light to make it flash. (just noticed it is 12v tho)

https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacifi...s%2C145&sr=8-1

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-06-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #7
Model "A" Fords

[QUOTE=Y-Blockhead;2245685]
One thing I added to my Town Sedan in addition to the items you listed is a third brake light that flashes five times before staying solid to get their attention. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

A modern car caught my attention two lanes over and a car length ahead that seemed the same as you described. I thought it was my imagination but the next time he braked I saw it flash a number of times then went solid.
It was impressive as it was a bright sunny day and the car wasn't even in front of me. Well, as you already discovered it seemed like it would be ideal for the Model A!
Great job!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:35 PM   #8
Oldgearz

> Drive Defensively. If you haven't taken the coarse, look it up on line.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:08 PM   #9
meteorgray

Thanks, Blockhead that's great.
meteorgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:08 PM   #10
JayJay

Y-B, the gizmo you rigged up is very similar to what I installed on my last motorcycle. Really helps with conspicuity. I used HyperLites but there are several brands. Some question about legality but I'll risk that.

I gave up motorcycles about two years ago after close to 50 years and many hundreds of thousands of miles of crash-free riding - I recognized that my reactions aren't getting any quicker, and frankly the drivers in the SF Bay Area are getting more and more, and worse and worse. What kept me intact all those years was riding as if 80% of the people can't see me, and 20% are aiming at me. Translates well to Model A-dom.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:59 PM   #11
Keith True

I can actually leave my yard and drive for hours without seeing a 50 MPH speed limit sign.For the last 15 years or so I've pretty much stuck to riding a motorcycle on 45-50 MPH limit roads,and most of that at night.My head is constantly on a swivel,looking for deer,bears,and moose.I think I am about done with motorcycles now.I do have a few little ones I will probably ride in a 10 mile or so radius.A Royal Enfield 500,a 650 BSA,and a Honda 305 Dream.No more going out after supper and putting on 50-100 miles before bedtime.I wasn't using the A's at night too much,I had excellent lights,but the other cars blinded me.I have the new LED's in all of them now,and if I cover the back window,tilt the windshield,I can do OK.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 09:08 PM   #12
Synchro909

The time difference between here and there means Y Blockhead got in before me. I think the best training for driving a Model A is spending time on a motor cycle. One's ability to read the road and other drivers is critical to your survival so you learn very quickly. Even though I haven't ridden for many years now, the lessons I learned ride with me every time I get behind the wheel.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:16 PM   #13
Gil Sissons

We have many stop signs that are on a uphill grade.
I hate it when the kid behind me pulls up 6” off my rear bumper.
Usually I am able to pull away without any drifting backwards....
But always makes me uneasy. And usually the car behind
isn’t worth a plug nickel!,

Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 10:53 PM   #14
Bill G

Drive defensively.

I am noticing that with shortages of truck drivers, I am seeing some pretty young kids driving some pretty big trucks these days, and they seem to drive like they are driving cars and not big trucks.

On another note, last year our club was coming back from a regional event and we had about 6 cars. Normally we try to keep a lot of distance between each car to allow others to pass. We encountered a section of a US highway that had a 60mph limit on a relatively steep and windy uphill grade that due to construction was down to only one lane of traffic. It was probably a 4-mile stretch. Some cars did not have OD or HC heads, and so we were probably doing 35 up the grade and trying our best to get up the windy hill. Due to construction, there was also no shoulder, and due to the curves, nobody was able to pass. Not a good situation.

The lead car got pulled over, and the cop motioned the rest of us to go on. The lead car did got quite a lecture from the state cop about holding up traffic. It seems that holding up traffic in our state for more than 5 cars (including your own) you are supposed to pull over. We explained that there was no place to pull over and that we were trying to do our best. Our lead car got the lecture, but came away with no ticket.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:15 AM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Drive defensively.

I am noticing that with shortages of truck drivers, I am seeing some pretty young kids driving some pretty big trucks these days, and they seem to drive like they are driving cars and not big trucks.

On another note, last year our club was coming back from a regional event and we had about 6 cars. Normally we try to keep a lot of distance between each car to allow others to pass. We encountered a section of a US highway that had a 60mph limit on a relatively steep and windy uphill grade that due to construction was down to only one lane of traffic. It was probably a 4-mile stretch. Some cars did not have OD or HC heads, and so we were probably doing 35 up the grade and trying our best to get up the windy hill. Due to construction, there was also no shoulder, and due to the curves, nobody was able to pass. Not a good situation.

The lead car got pulled over, and the cop motioned the rest of us to go on. The lead car did got quite a lecture from the state cop about holding up traffic. It seems that holding up traffic in our state for more than 5 cars (including your own) you are supposed to pull over. We explained that there was no place to pull over and that we were trying to do our best. Our lead car got the lecture, but came away with no ticket.
How old was the cop????
Old 08-07-2023, 07:20 AM   #16
nkaminar

A recording window camera if fairly inexpensive. I have one mounted to my rear window. It won't prevent me from getting hit but will provide evidence in case I am hit. The cops know how to download the video.

I use the really bright rear LED lights, two of them. When I am forced to go slow I use the flasher setting on my turn indicators.

How modern traffic runs depends a lot on where you live. The speed limit around Washington DC is 55 on the freeways but everyone drives at 70 or more and will cut you off if you leave more than 5 feet between you and the car in front. Contract that with my home town in North Carolina, where almost everyone is polite.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 08-07-2023 at 07:26 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 11:48 AM   #17
Big hammer

A little bit of a twist to driving in modern traffic, I rented a modern to get a sick misses home. That modern tried to kill us, it had AI, self stopping, self steering, self braking. In heavy rain on an interstate in a curve that POS tried to steer straight, it would have put us in the median. No manual was found in the car so I couldn’t turn the AI off. Taking it back by myself I played with the features trying my best to learn. Passing a wide loaded semi that POS tried to steer me into the wide load. When a semi pulled off on to the shoulder in front of me the POS self braked and I almost got rearend. When other moderns would pass me the POS would steer away from them, and when they cut you off changing lanes in front of me it would hit the brakes causing cars behind to slam their brakes on. The rental company asked me how I liked the POS, they didn’t respond to my comments about it trying to kill me. E-mailed the rental company and auto manufacture about my issues, didn’t hear back from either. AI will be the death of the human race, hopefully after I’am gone.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:18 PM   #18
Gene F

Quote:
Drive defensively.

These are kind of officers that are detrament to their so called profession. More and more officers do not exercise common sense. Part of it is their training. They get a decent person in the training accademy, and they ruin them.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #19
DJ S

Quote:
Drive defensively.

I see both sides here... IMHO you shouldn't be traveling on an interstate if you can not keep up with modern traffic. It is a safety hazard for both yourself and the people around you. Most interstates around here have a speed limit of 65MPH and a minimum of 45 MPH.

In this scenario, either the whole group should have been traveling on secondary roads or there should have been two groups. One with ODs and high compression heads on the interstate and the stock cars on secondary roads.

Our club had a recent encounter where we were holding up modern traffic and aggressive drivers were making it dangerous for everyone. We will be playing it smart from now on and keep the caravanning to secondary roads.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:18 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
A little bit of a twist to driving in modern traffic, I rented a modern to get a sick misses home. That modern tried to kill us, it had AI, self stopping, self steering, self braking. In heavy rain on an interstate in a curve that POS tried to steer straight, it would have put us in the median. No manual was found in the car so I couldn’t turn the AI off. Taking it back by myself I played with the features trying my best to learn. Passing a wide loaded semi that POS tried to steer me into the wide load. When a semi pulled off on to the shoulder in front of me the POS self braked and I almost got rearend. When other moderns would pass me the POS would steer away from them, and when they cut you off changing lanes in front of me it would hit the brakes causing cars behind to slam their brakes on. The rental company asked me how I liked the POS, they didn’t respond to my comments about it trying to kill me. E-mailed the rental company and auto manufacture about my issues, didn’t hear back from either. AI will be the death of the human race, hopefully after I’am gone.
WOW this exact same thing happened last month to a buddy who went to Florida and got a rental car from Enterprise

After two days he was so shook over almost being killed several times exactly as you described, he headed into another Enterprise place and demanded a different car. I have to admit they were good to him and replaced it no problem. They gave him a form to fill out and mail it into the Corporate HQ, plus he called their number, but they blew him off.

He said 'Look somebody is going to get killed out there in one of these cars I'm just trying to save someone's life.'

I forget just what kind of car it was, a Toyota of some kind I THINK he said....

And yes Bob Bidonde, good thread you are spot-on on every thing you said. You HAVE to be pretty defensive. Wear that rear view mirror out watching what they are doing behind you too
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote