Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Utopia Texas

Default Removing Side Glass From Channel.....

When I re-upholster my 160A later on this Summer and the old panels come off the doors I plan to install the "h" shaped window seals that fit under the glass in the window channels that help keep water from running down the glass and into the doors. I see remnants of this seal in the doors now at the channels but weathering and heat have made them almost undiscernible. Once the glass with channels are removed from the doors is their a safe easy way to remove the glass without damaging glass or channel? I have never done this before and the glass may just pop out or may be stuck really firm so I need some advise from those that may have done this in the past. Thanks...
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
Roger V

Default Re: Removing Side Glass From Channel.....

When I replaced the "plate" glass in my 160B, I used a piece of 1x2 hardwood against the channel on the glass with a piece of cloth between. This was laying on a bench top with protection too. I was able to just drive it off by striking the wood up and down its length. If it's really stuck you might need a second person to hold the glass. Also, you can try to run a razor blade or knife between the glass and the rubber. Warming the channel/rubber with a heat gun may soften the rubber's hold. Note: upon installing the channel, liquid dish detergent helps it slide and will dry. If the dimensions are right, it should hold by compression. On the front channel where there are two slots for the double regulator arms, the center is weak and easily bent by driving on with a rubber hammer. I use two wood workers ratcheting grip clamps with rubber pads and pull the channel onto the glass, ratcheting each clamp a little at a time. Worked great. Roger
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Utopia Texas

Default Re: Removing Side Glass From Channel.....

Great ideas to ponder! Thanks.......
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote