Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Utopia Texas

Default Aftermarket External Transmission Seals- Front & Rear

I noticed today that Snyder's carries two after market external seal set ups for the Model A transmission case and wonder if they work ok. The first #A-7111-S fits on the back of the case and covers the transmission shafts. The other #A-7112-S is installed by way of the bell housing cover and plugs the shift rail holes. Has anyone tried one or both of these kits and do they really work to keep oil from seeping from the transmission case? My transmission shifts flawlessly and has done so for 28 years and I am not in the mood to tear the A apart so wonder if this is a solution. Mine really rarely drips a drop on the garage floor since the oil is so thick but the bottom of the bell housing and tranny appear pretty wet. Thanks...
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Tom Foster

Default Re: Aftermarket External Transmission Seals- Front & Rear

The rear seal is pretty easy to install without much grief. I've done three, but never the front one.
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194134
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Utopia Texas

Thanks for the information. Looks as if the rear seal set up has been done by some but no information on the one for the front of the transmission. Guess I need to take the floor boards out and take a better look to see where most of the oil is coming from at this time. Do have oil hanging from the bottom of the bell housing but my inspection was done from below the car so a look from above should get me some better idea what to do if anything. Need to look at oil level also though I doubt it is low since nothing has dripped on the floor in many years and I park in the same spot all the time.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
1930artdeco

I think that oil from the engine is supposed to lube the radius ball along with any that comes from the tranny. I would guess that if the shift rails are that worn something needs to be built up or replaced.

Mike
Old 05-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

The Mitchell Real Deal Oil Seal in the part used to seal up the transmission shifting rails as they move in and out of the clutch housing. The Real Deal Oil Seal can be installed with the engine and transmission in the car. You will need to install it through the inspection cover on the clutch housing. It is difficult to install, but it can be done. A stubby ratchet can be helpful when doing this job. A short wobbly ratchet extension will also make this job easier. You will need to use a regular size ratchet for leverage to break the top transmission mounting bolts loose and to finish tightening them up. You can hand turn the short extension to take the bolts once they are loose and to put them back in until snug. One way not to lose the bolt out of the socket when removing and installing is to use masking tape and tape the bolt to the socket. It can be slow going and tedious. Be as careful as you can not to lose the bolt when installing this seal. I have done it with a lot of patience. It will stop your transmission from leaking into the clutch housing. Best of luck.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
DougVieyra

Said earlier, but it bears repeating:

The Mitchell Real Deal Oil Seal in the part used to seal up the transmission shifting rails as they move in and out of the clutch housing. The Real Deal Oil Seal can be installed with the engine and transmission in the car. You will need to install it through the inspection cover on the clutch housing. It is difficult to install, but it can be done. A stubby ratchet can be helpful when doing this job. A short wobbly ratchet extension will also make this job easier. You will need to use a regular size ratchet for leverage to break the top transmission mounting bolts loose and to finish tightening them up. You can hand turn the short extension to take the bolts once they are loose and to put them back in until snug. One way not to lose the bolt out of the socket when removing and installing is to use masking tape and tape the bolt to the socket. It can be slow going and tedious. Be as careful as you can not to lose the bolt when installing this seal. I have done it with a lot of patience. It will stop your transmission from leaking into the clutch housing. Best of luck.

I did install the Mitchell 'Real Deal Transmission Seal', and indeed it was a real bitch to install. That is if the engine and transmission are already in the chassis/car.

Also, an earlier post from an earlier thread on this subject correctly stated that the seeping oil from the transmission shifter rods was designed to keep a steady lubicant on the radius ball. This seal prevents that from happening.

Having installed two of these front units on built up cars, I would recommend that you skip this 'New Improvement'. I now wish that I had not installed them.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 05-08-2016 at 10:46 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

I have installed both the rear transmission seal kit and shift fork rail kit in the bell housing. The rear shaft seal kit was easy. The shifter shaft kit that goes in the bell housing was more difficult but not too bad. You just have to be patient and careful.

I have a Mitchell transmission and both these kits were necessary as with the thinner oil which is used with the Mitchell, oil would leak a lot from these locations.

As previously stated, I would think with an original transmission and using 600 W oil, these kits may not be as necessary. You may want to install the rear shaft kit because that one is easy and may eliminate one place that leaks.

My experience and opinion.

Chris W
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
P.S.

The kit that installs in the bell housing is best done with the motor separated from the bell housing.

I installed one, then removed it. As mentioned above, if using thick enough lubricant in the tranny, it won't leak out the front anyway. I only did it as a suggestion from a club member.

I discovered that the caps insert slightly into the shift rail holes, and can (on occasion) cause some binding and hesitation to go into first or third gear. It feels like the shift rails 'hit something' about half the time as they contact the edges of the seal cups. It's a bad day when you cannot grab a gear and you really need it NOW.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote