Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Utopia Texas

Default Two Questions Repro Bumper Clamp Covers....

Feeling a bit lazy I ordered the SS front bumper clamp covers and the blue decal inserts. I will eventually refurbish the clamps that are on the bumper though I do not think they are original.
(1) Will bending the tabs around the covers suffice to hold them on the clamps as is? They slide on easily and even bending the tabs does not make them fit on real tight. I can grab them with my fingers and with some effort they pull right off. Do folks use some type of glue between the covers and the bumper clamps?
(2) The blue decal inserts appear one piece with page and will have to be cut out with scissors. Are they self sticking? Working my way around the whole sheet I cannot seem to separate the decal side from the backing. I will admit to having poor eye sight and arthritis in my fingers! Will call the supplier tomorrow on these questions but would like some input before hand. Thanks...
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Utopia Texas

Default Re: Two Questions Repro Bumper Clamp Covers....

Figured out the proper way to bend and then install covers!
Also used a single edge razor blade to separate decal page just like bearing shim packs!
Thanks for looking.....
Old 05-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
Roadster Rich

In case you want to find something better than the decals, here is what I did after I did not like the decals.

Took a board and drilled holes for the studs to pass through. Level each one both length wise and width wise. Then I went to a hobby store and bought "Model Masters" enamel paint in the tiny bottles. Use the color "Ford and GM Engine Blue" I found this almost dead on to the decal.

Then I just used a toothpick to drop on some paint. Wait a few minutes and it will level out (don't put on too much). Here is what it looked like.
Bumper Medalions.jpg
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Utopia Texas

Wow, Those look beautiful. Don't have any hobby stores near so I will look on line for the paint. Looks like a great project ! Thanks...
Old 05-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The suppliers sell the paint..$4.15.. The stickers suck
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:24 AM   #6
Dollar Bill

Like Mitch sez - The stickers suck. Went through several sheets of them and never did get it looking right.

Did a rough mask of bumper cover recess - sprayed and let it dry. Used acetone on paper towel to remove unwanted paint.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

A&L have a small bottle and it matches perfectly for about 5 dollars. The decals are very
Unprofessional. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster Rich View Post
In case you want to find something better than the decals, here is what I did after I did not like the decals.

Took a board and drilled holes for the studs to pass through. Level each one both length wise and width wise. Then I went to a hobby store and bought "Model Masters" enamel paint in the tiny bottles. Use the color "Ford and GM Engine Blue" I found this almost dead on to the decal.

Then I just used a toothpick to drop on some paint. Wait a few minutes and it will level out (don't put on too much). Here is what it looked like.
Attachment 269110
Those covers really look great. Are you saying that the paint is self leveling?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster Rich View Post

Attachment 269110
That's what I did, with the exception that I bought a little jar of paint from Bert's that was the correct color.Pay attention to the "don't put too much", as it really doesn't take very much at all.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
Roadster Rich

The enamel model paint that I used was just of a viscosity that it would level out, but slowly. Just warned that you should not be too fast to keep adding paint. Put a bit on and wait at least three minutes or so to let it spread out, before you just keep adding paint. You can help spread it a bit with the toothpick, but you really want a clean line at the edges and letting it wet out will be the best.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote