Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
ericr

Default Ford "steel-spoke" wheels vs. regular wire wheels

at least some of youse guys have competing cars from the era like Chevrolet Dodge Brothers, maybe Essex.

is it your opinion that the Model "A" wheel is indeed superior? It certainly seems like the Model "A" wheel has survived in any event.....
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Ford "steel-spoke" wheels vs. regular wire wheels

Everything about the Model A is superior.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

• There are 2 types of wire wheels, those with welded spokes and those mechanically fastened.
  • On wheel with welded spokes, all of the spokes carry loads. On a wheel with mechanically fastened spokes, only about half of the spokes carry loads.
  • Because the alternating loads are much higher on a mechanically-spoked wheel, the fatigue life of the spokes is much less.
  • Mechanically spoked-wheels need periodic maintenance to adjust the spoke tension and straighten the rim.
  • There is one other wheel that enters into this discussion, and that is the cast iron artillery wheel which has a solid metal disk from the hub to its rim. In the early days of automobiles, engineers did not get the design right, so artillery wheels had a habit of short term fatigue cracking.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
  • There are 2 types of wire wheels, those with welded spokes and those mechanically fastened.
  • On wheel with welded spokes, all of the spokes carry loads. On a wheel with mechanically fastened spokes, only about half of the spokes carry loads.
  • Because the alternating loads are much higher on a mechanically-spoked wheel, the fatigue life of the spokes is much less.
  • Mechanically spoked-wheels need periodic maintenance to adjust the spoke tension and straighten the rim.
  • There is one other wheel that enters into this discussion, and that is the cast iron artillery wheel which has a solid metal disk from the hub to its rim. In the early days of automobiles, engineers did not get the design right, so artillery wheels had a habit of short term fatigue cracking.
wow, that's a lot of interesting info, thanks. I always thought old touring cars looked best with artillery wheels.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
The Master Cylinder

Just curious. does anyone have the 19"/21" adjustable spoke wheels for the Model A? I can see good and bad sides of having them.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
nkaminar

My MGA had wire wheels. They would pop (break) wires when cornering hard. It was a constant maintenance issue. The wire wheels were an option and disk wheels were standard. Sure looked good though.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #7
RandyinUtah

I can't quite wrap my head around the statement that mechanical spoke wheels carry only half the load of welded spoke wheels.thus are prone to early fatigue.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:20 AM   #8
DkFordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
I can't quite wrap my head around the statement that mechanical spoke wheels carry only half the load of welded spoke wheels.thus are prone to early fatigue.
Possibly because mechanically fastened spokes are only able to accomodate stretching forces - not compression forces - due to the way they are fastened to the rim. Thus only half the spokes contribute to carrying the load at any given time - and thus the wheel is carrying the weight on fewer spokes at any given time.

Bob please correct my if I'm mistaking
DkFordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:50 AM   #9
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkFordor View Post
Possibly because mechanically fastened spokes are only able to accomodate stretching forces - not compression forces - due to the way they are fastened to the rim. Thus only half the spokes contribute to carrying the load at any given time - and thus the wheel is carrying the weight on fewer spokes at any given time.

Bob please correct my if I'm mistaking

Interesting. So it would follow that with screw adjustable spokes, the ones that are carrying the load are the ones on the top of the wheel. The weight of the car is hanging from the spokes on the top, while those on the bottom are pushing through the rim and meeting no resistance.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #10
DkFordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Interesting. So it would follow that with screw adjustable spokes, the ones that are carrying the load are the ones on the top of the wheel. The weight of the car is hanging from the spokes on the top, while those on the bottom are pushing through the rim and meeting no resistance.
Sort of. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
... Some authors conclude from this that the hub "stands" on those spokes immediately below it that experience a reduction in tension, even though the spokes below the hub exert no upward force on the hub and can be replaced by chains without much changing the physics of the wheel. Other authors conclude that the hub "hangs" from those spokes above it that exert an upward force on the hub, and that have higher tension than the spokes below the hub, which pull down on the hub. ...
I doubt any spokes are actually pushing through the rim - rather the tension is reduced somwhat in the lower half of the wheel. Thus also invalidating the idea with only half the spokes carrying...

But we're diverging from the topic now
DkFordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
redmodelt

So mechanical attached spokes, the upper carry the load like a suspension bridge and lower ones keep the hub centered by pulling against the load but don't carry the load.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
ronn

regarding 1931, I would venture to say my chevy wires are "vastly superior" to the A wheels

just my opinion. The chevy was a heavier car.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote