Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default I am a Model A Traditionalist

I enjoy the Ford Barn and all the diverse opinions and ways of doing things. I was struck by the engine compartment picture under the tread about thermostats. I have been in the hobby since 1964 with the purchase of a 1930 Town Sedan that carried around a growing family of five. I kept it simple. Everyone I talked to about the hobby was how simple Henry made things and how easy it was to fix the car if it didn't run right. Now folks seem to want that little extra performance (if it is measurable) with added gadgets that make the Model A engine compartment look like a modern car (well, the 1950/60s anyway).

But, then again, that is what is so wonderful about this hobby. The Model A does mean many different things to those who enjoy the hobby. I have never been stuck on the road with my car and I did bring it home once with bailing wire holding up the exhaust system when the clamp broke! I will keep mine simple and I know it will not stimulate a lot of discussion but it will continue to bring me back home with a minimum of fuss. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: I am a Model A Traditionalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I enjoy the Ford Barn and all the diverse opinions and ways of doing things. I was struck by the engine compartment picture under the tread about thermostats. I have been in the hobby since 1964 with the purchase of a 1930 Town Sedan that carried around a growing family of five. I kept it simple. Everyone I talked to about the hobby was how simple Henry made things and how easy it was to fix the car if it didn't run right. Now folks seem to want that little extra performance (if it is measurable) with added gadgets that make the Model A engine compartment look like a modern car (well, the 1950/60s anyway).

But, then again, that is what is so wonderful about this hobby. The Model A does mean many different things to those who enjoy the hobby. I have never been stuck on the road with my car and I did bring it home once with bailing wire holding up the exhaust system when the clamp broke! I will keep mine simple and I know it will not stimulate a lot of discussion but it will continue to bring me back home with a minimum of fuss. Ed
Ed, well put and thoughtful.
Hmm, long time ago when young, I also drove different STOCK model As to work for a number of reasons..including reliability. They all looked like heck, but were CHEAP , durable and smelled/sounded wonderful! I NEVER did any maintenance, other than add oil if necessary. Sure they leaked oil everywhere and I was not welcome to park on nice driveways..but other than oil leaks, I never had one stop running on me...go figure! I was not into fixing or 'restoring' anything ..ever! I was into driving them and did just that. I never wanted to have an A to restore..make run 'better', until I bought my '30 roadster from a 'little ole lady from pasadena'! She bald faced lied and I bought. That led to my finding that I could not drive an A with a blown engine/busted trans and broken rear end!
Sometimes life forces you to make life changing decisions! Eventually, this piece of junk gave way to my version of restored and it now can keep up with the changed traffic..safely..and still has an original flavor that still smells good/sounds better and runs...well like a scalded cat

BTW...I also have one that is tooo pretty to be driven..IMO, it's on the for sale side if you'd like a look.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
hardtimes

built by hardtimes...every nut/bolt!

Ed, a pic of the 'ugly duck' 'looks' more like what I grew old with !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1079.jpg (65.2 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 10-29-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add..
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Ed I agree. Even tho I am only 19 years old but I grew up around people like you that had been in the hobby since it first came alive way back when they werent that old. I look to modified model A's as not true model a cars. A stock model a is just as reliable as a model a with modifications. I just do not see the "niceness" in it all.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Let me add that certian "safety" modifications like seat belts and other "add ons" as allowed in the judging standards, are acceptable. But you don't need. High speed this and high speed that, 12v systems, duel carbs. thermostats', etc...
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Flathead

I am a retired mechanic and have had plenty of modified cars and Hot-Rods. I recently got a Model A and plan to keep it original. Mechanical brakes, generator, points, tranny, original engine. Or at least a stock looking engine. I very much like the simplicity and honest design of these cars. If you understand and respect the "old technolgy" it is not likely to bite you. Just my thoughts, to each his own.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
I am a retired mechanic and have had plenty of modified cars and Hot-Rods. I recently got a Model A and plan to keep it original. Mechanical brakes, generator, points, tranny, original engine. Or at least a stock looking engine. I very much like the simplicity and honest design of these cars. If you understand and respect the "old technolgy" it is not likely to bite you. Just my thoughts, to each his own.
And it's all the standard features, like free vibrator massage, beautiful sounds to soothe the the savage beast, ( driver ) and it's own exhaust smell that's like Eu-De Out of This World, and mine ran like a SCALDED DOG.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post

Ed,

That was my engine compartment I believe. It has been a work in progress, off and on, since I got the car in 1960. My first thermostat was a piece of cardboard wedged in the front of the radiator; some sort of heater was necessary for Michigan winters. I found an old hot water job in a junk yard truck that I was able to hook up. Here I am getting ready for another run from home to college, as my skeptical mother looks on.

I have tremendous admiration for anyone who has it in them to do an authentic restoration, but I also agree with your different-strokes sentiment. In my case, all I ever wanted was a cool old car that I could tool around in. It's still mostly stock looking on the outside, but there's a lot more to appall a traditionalist than is seen in that engine compartment shot. Although most of my mods were in response to perceived needs, I admit that some were just because. I see it as following a family tradition (traditionalist!)--Here's my dad with his Model A in 1939.

He drove this car 500 miles and back once a month for two years from seminary in Philly for weekend visits to his fiance in Millersport, OH. Many mods are evident, some for no apparent reason, others for style points, I suppose. Sure wish Dad were around for me to talk to about some of those things! I remember he was really pleased that my Ford had sealed beams, and he's the one who told our auto electric shop to rig some sort of regulated generator after I burned up two stock ones.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 10-29-2011 at 06:44 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
tamagrouchy

I agree, keep it simple. The ONLY crazy mods I did to my car was add an alternator and halogen headlights as I wanted to be able to drive at night safely. ( YES I KNOW THIS IS A CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC, but I can easily put back to stock). Otherwise it is as original as possible, the parts are all Model A, may not be date specific for a fine points resto, but still original to an A. Perfect example of DON'T mess with it, I have had to help out others several times with ignition problems. The 2 biggest offenders/pains in the keyster I've experienced are the "wireless" lower plate and "modern" points. I ALWAYS remove those two "improvements" and put it back to how it was. The result is always a reliable ignition setup.

Last edited by tamagrouchy; 11-02-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Richard Wilson

With every modification something about the original Model A driving experience is lost. I do think that there is plenty of room in the hobby for everyone however.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
newshirt

By the 150th, they'll be replacing Model A engines and wheels with nuclear power plants and anti-gravity lifters, and saying "if Henry Ford had nuclear he would have used it."

My vote: preserve history.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
CaceyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
By the 150th, they'll be replacing Model A engines and wheels with nuclear power plants and anti-gravity lifters, and saying "if Henry Ford had nuclear he would have used it."

My vote: preserve history.
I've had my dad say a similar line but in regards to 19th century constuction, "If they had drywall [instead of plaster and lath] they would of used it." But if you use that argument, knights of the middle ages could fly helicopters because "they would use it if they had it." I think you should try to keep anything historical within its own historical context.

Cacey
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
LeroyM

It's all about what you want to do with the Model A. To me the body lines and look of the Model A is what makes the car, not so much about what's under the hood or drive train.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Dave in MN

I have a restored, bone stock, '28 pickup...I like it that way and wouldn't change a thing. Simple is good!
I also have a "29 Phaeton with dual sidemounts an overdrive and quite a few engine modifications...I like it that way and wouldn't change a thing. Modified is good! By the way..this car was far from accurately restored when I purchased it. I restored it's body to original color and condition but for the dual sidemounts.
I am collecting parts for a pre-war hop-up based on an unaltered coupe body...I imagine I'll like that one to. I respect those that only want their cars original and understand their reasons but as stated earlier in different words...this hobby has room for all of us.
Good day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 11-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
newshirt

Once a car is modded, it is rarely returned to original condition. It's just too much bother for the average guy. So for those cars, history is lost forever.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
KGBnut

One of the main reasons I got my Model A was as an excuse to spend more time with my father. He had his last one in the 50s. At that time, their value as historic pieces was just starting to be appreciated. For most, they were just reliable, but old, transportation. The guys who drove them regularly had all kinds of "modern" modifications to keep them running.

Pop has a free hand to do what he wants to my Coupe. I come home some days and just scratch my head. What modifications he makes are the kind that a working-stiff in 1955 would do to keep it running and reliable. The car is becoming a great example, not of how they came from the factory, but how they were kept running after twenty plus years.

I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Ron Lowe

I restored my 30 coupe just as it was when Henry built it. My brother made a street rod from a Model A and it just makes me sick everytime I see it. Ron
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
RcT

Ed, I have the same mindset as you about how far to go, but have changed my opinions a bit, as there is room for everyone and what they want to do with their cars. Also, the original Model A Ford was a perfect candidate for those who wanted to "personalize" their cars. Many after-market accessories and a lot of speed equipment was available long after the original car was built. "As Henry built them" and what was done to them subsequently is all a part of the history and charm of the Model A Ford. And so the modifications will continue as new technology arises.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
denis4x4

I would like to refer many of you to Amazon to check out the book; THE BUSINESS OF SPEED, 1915-1990. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0801889901/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

After reading this book and visiting the American Museum of Speed in Lincoln NB, perhaps we can kill the myth that hot rodding Model A's is something that occurred after WWII. One of my A's has an original CRAGAR head circa 1935 and a Stromberg-Bendix down draft manifold offered through Ford dealers in 1931.

Keep them original if you like, but remember that Henry had SVO program through dealers for T and A stuff back in the day.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
Super88

Of all of the opinions expressed here, I would have to say I agree most with RcT and denis4x4. Vehicles of all kinds, cars, motorcycles, planes, etc., have been modified from the very beginning and in a sense, modifying is a "tradition".
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote