Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
stolw

Default Steering box Wear

I haven't had the car long, but there was a lot of play in the steering box. I tried adjusting it which helped but it still feels dangerous (about 15 degrees of movement in steering wheel before the slack was taken up)

I have now taken it off a pulled it apart and there is a small amount of wear but it doesn't look bad to me; or is it? I'm now thinking it has just been adjusted wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg st1.jpg (52.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg st2.jpg (48.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Mister Moose

Default Re: Steering box Wear

It's not just the sector teeth to worm gear wear. It's the sector shaft bushings, pitman arm to sector shaft tightness, drag link movement. It's the whole assembly.

Since it's all out of the car, I would recommend putting it back together on the bench. Place the gear in a vise and adjust everything. Then see how much play you have and where.

Is that a grease zirc in your sector shaft housing? Haven't heard of that one.

Look on your frame for signs of movement or mounting hole elongation as well.

Les Andrews book and Bratton's CD on steering are both very good, I used and recommend both. The printed diagrams and explanation is one thing you need, and the video demonstration shows each adjustment being performed with an explanation of what "just enough" looks like, something the text just doesn't do. There's a few videos on youtube as well.

As of 3 weeks ago there were no new sector shafts to be had. No word on when they would be available. There is wear on your sector teeth, but you're going to have to live with that for now. My car got as bad as 60 degrees slop at the wheel, and I was down to just driving it to exercise it, not really go anywhere. I'm now down to 3/4 inch play at the rim using the old sector and worm. but new sector housing and needle bearings, new pitman arm, new bolts all around.

Last edited by Mister Moose; 12-01-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

how does the upper worm bearing surface look, the lower one looks a little rough.
The first step in adjusting is to get the worm turning smoothly in it's bearings without free play or excessive preload.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
Patrick L.

How did you try to adjust it ?
There are 4 which need to done in the proper order.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
katy

Quote:
it still feels dangerous (about 15 degrees of movement in steering wheel before the slack was taken up)
Having driven numerous Model Ts and Model As when I was a teenager plus over the years a lot of other old cars that had been used and abused, I wouldn't be concerned about the steering wheel having only 15° of free play in it.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
stolw

Thanks for the help - I will re-assemble it and go through the adjustments. When I took it off I didn't give the steering wheel end a second look - I should have - It has no nut - Just a bit of braising!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201201_155506.jpg (50.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolw View Post
When I took it off I didn't give the steering wheel end a second look - I should have - It has no nut - Just a bit of braising!
Mmm, braised steering wheel end in a nice 600W oil and garnished with quadrant screws is delicious on a cold winter night.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
stolw

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Having driven numerous Model Ts and Model As when I was a teenager plus over the years a lot of other old cars that had been used and abused, I wouldn't be concerned about the steering wheel having only 15° of free play in it.
Maybe I am being too sensitive, but It does feel dangerous and the roads in the UK are a lot smaller than the US
Old 12-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
stolw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Mmm, braised steering wheel end in a nice 600W oil and garnished with quadrant screws is delicious on a cold winter night.
Yep! although I couldn't see too much oil, just a sort of black sludge. . .
Old 12-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
stolw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
how does the upper worm bearing surface look, the lower one looks a little rough.
The first step in adjusting is to get the worm turning smoothly in it's bearings without free play or excessive preload.
The top one looks about the same. You are right - it doesn't turn smoothly currently so I will start there
Old 12-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #11
Mister Moose

Take a close look at your sector shaft bushings also.

Be careful removing the worm and putting it back on especially. Not a simple task. You're in a box there with the wheel brazed onto the shaft, the upper bearing can't be replaced without removing the worm and there's not much sense in a new worm if you can't get a new sector shaft.

What's the full inscription carved into the wheel? Is that a common thing to do? My wheel has a prior owners name carved into it, always wondered how many did that back in the day.

I would clean everything up, and reassemble on the bench with a light lube not worrying about gaskets. Feel the wheel shaft bearings, adjust the three main adjustments (2 end play and sector mesh) put a vise grip on the sector shaft and see what you get for bearing rumble and total play. Look closely where the sector exits the housing as you rock the shaft back and forth with the vise grips while the gearcase is in a vise. If you see axial movement (and you will) then replace the sector bushings, those are relatively easy. (You can consider having a machine shop dress the sector shaft and then hone the bushings to match, but only if the teeth - worm are decent enough to live with.) Now try the play fully assembled and adjusted with new sector bushings. If there's too much play, or the worm bearings have too much rumble, you're into a total rebuild at a time when parts are tough to come by. Then it's either wait or scrounge.

On the final assembly pay attention to cleanliness and proper seals or the new design end plate. Decide on what lube you're going to run, a few choices there.

The brazed wheel could give you some trouble at the machine shop if it gets in the way of their press.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #12
stolw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
Take a close look at your sector shaft bushings also.

Be careful removing the worm and putting it back on especially. Not a simple task. You're in a box there with the wheel brazed onto the shaft, the upper bearing can't be replaced without removing the worm and there's not much sense in a new worm if you can't get a new sector shaft.

What's the full inscription carved into the wheel? Is that a common thing to do? My wheel has a prior owners name carved into it, always wondered how many did that back in the day.

I would clean everything up, and reassemble on the bench with a light lube not worrying about gaskets. Feel the wheel shaft bearings, adjust the three main adjustments (2 end play and sector mesh) put a vise grip on the sector shaft and see what you get for bearing rumble and total play. Look closely where the sector exits the housing as you rock the shaft back and forth with the vise grips while the gearcase is in a vise. If you see axial movement (and you will) then replace the sector bushings, those are relatively easy. (You can consider having a machine shop dress the sector shaft and then hone the bushings to match, but only if the teeth - worm are decent enough to live with.) Now try the play fully assembled and adjusted with new sector bushings. If there's too much play, or the worm bearings have too much rumble, you're into a total rebuild at a time when parts are tough to come by. Then it's either wait or scrounge.

On the final assembly pay attention to cleanliness and proper seals or the new design end plate. Decide on what lube you're going to run, a few choices there.

The brazed wheel could give you some trouble at the machine shop if it gets in the way of their press.
Thank you for the information from everyone - Most helpful - I will do as advised. I realize that it's never going to be like a modern car but I'm sure it can be much improved to how it is currently
Old 12-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #13
GRutter

What I am looking at appears to be:

1. Steering shaft that is broken off at the top, hence no nut and the shaft brazed to the steering wheel.
2. The worm bearing surface is pitted and not usable.
3. The sector gears show significant wear. I doubt that they could be properly meshed with the worm gear.
4. Although not pictured, I would assume, looking at the wear on all contact/bearing surfaces that the sector shaft & sector bushings are also worn.

My recommendation would be to replace the steering shaft with worm installed (available from our vendors), replace upper and lower bearing races, install new roller bearings, replace the sector shaft and sector housing bushings.

It doesn't make sense to take the steering box apart and not fix what is obviously worn out. And I agree with the original poster that excessive steering play is dangerous.

I would also look at the remainder of the front-end & steering components: Spindle play, drag link, tie rod, spring shackles etc to restore vehicle control and safety.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:26 PM   #14
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
replace the sector shaft
They are not currently available. I called a dozen vendors. The only source is in Brazil, and there is no info available as to when they will go back into production. I re-used my mildly worn sector shaft rather than let the car sit for an undetermined amount of time.

That's why I said re-assemble with new sector bushings and adjust as best you can and see if you can live with it. Worms are available, and you can go that route without a new sector shaft, but that's another compromise. With his worn sector and brazed wheel combo, there's lots of complications to getting a normal rebuild done.

It's clear his sector teeth haven't bottomed out on the worm, right? Why not give it a try?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #15
stolw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
They are not currently available. I called a dozen vendors. The only source is in Brazil, and there is no info available as to when they will go back into production. I re-used my mildly worn sector shaft rather than let the car sit for an undetermined amount of time.

That's why I said re-assemble with new sector bushings and adjust as best you can and see if you can live with it. Worms are available, and you can go that route without a new sector shaft, but that's another compromise. With his worn sector and brazed wheel combo, there's lots of complications to getting a normal rebuild done.

It's clear his sector teeth haven't bottomed out on the worm, right? Why not give it a try?
I think that's what i'm going to do - I have now removed the steering wheel so will need to sort that out aswell - It was probably safe with being braised but i'd rather have it with a nut on it.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
Brentwood Bob

There is a repair for the the steering shaft where the damaged end is threaded to accept a bolt that has been drilled thru the center to accept the horn rod.
See the restorer, Jan/February 2001, p18-19.
I believe the parts houses sell the threaded insert instead of a machined bolt.

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 12-02-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #17
GRutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
There is a repair for the the steering shaft where the damaged end is threaded to accept a bolt that has been drilled thru the center to accept the horn rod.
See the restorer, Jan/February 2001, p18-19.
I believe the parts houses sell the threaded insert instead of a machined bolt.
That is true, but with the worm gear bearing surfaces in rough shape and with the amount of wear on those components, it would likely be a lot easier to get a new shaft with worm already attached from one of our vendors.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:50 PM   #18
Brentwood Bob

May be difficult for him to order the shaft with a new worm and will have to make do.
Maybe John Carlton could be of assistance.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #19
David R.

My box was dry and worm bearing races pitted, although worm and sector were not worn badly but sector shaft was egg shaped so I replaced sector, (available then) bushings, bearings and worm. I bought worm only but boy was it a job to get worm off shaft and new one on without distorting that hollow shaft! The worm is a VERY tight press fit and I had to use heat to get the old one off and a little bit of careful heat and a homemade press aperatus with hydraulic jack to get the new one on. We were very afraid of bending the hollow shaft so we used a mandrel inside the tube and used a section of pipe outside packed with sand and slowly pressed the new worm on. Looks like you will need a new shaft anyway so I would go with assembled worm and shaft if available. There are lots of used units around but most will likely be in poor shape also.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote