Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
James G.

Default Air filter???

Did the Model A come from the factory with an air filter? Or, was the Air-Maze something of an aftermarket.
James G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Air filter???

No to originally sold, Yes to aftermarket.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
160B

The air maze was an accessory made and offered by Air-Maze

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Will N

First thing I did when I got my Model A was to replace the original fan. The second thing I did was to throw away the Air-Maze filter. The Zenith carb was not designed to run with a filter. You will always be choking off the air and running rich with that thing on there.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
First thing I did when I got my Model A was to replace the original fan. The second thing I did was to throw away the Air-Maze filter. The Zenith carb was not designed to run with a filter. You will always be choking off the air and running rich with that thing on there.
I have had great success with a K&N E-3050 filter installed in my Air-Maze. The pressure drop across the paper filter causes the engine to run too rich. The K&N has a low pressure drop and across the filter media and I have run one on my S/W for 30,000 miles.

there is a lot of info in the below posts, there are more threads on this subject

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...light=air+maze

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
snowbird06

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Not original to the car. Aftermarket accessory.
snowbird06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
ctvpa

PLEASE check out my recent post http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108264

Watching a friends car with 2 foot flames coming out of the hood is not fun. If you want a Air-maze, use the wire mesh filter. Don't use paper filters. Please
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Will N in post number 4 knows what he is talking about. Model A's are forgiving and will run with filters but will run rich and WON'T have full power. Filters on an updraft carburetor will cause more problems than they will solve.You usually can't help those that run air filters, they think that they are saving their engine. Choking the engine doiwn with an air filter, even a wire mesh air maze causes a rich situation. The gas that doesn't get burned in the combustion chamber has to go somewhere. The unburned fuel will enter the oil pan and dilute the oil, causing early engine failure. If you don't believe this, smell the oil on the dip stick, does it smell sorta like gas??? The unburned gas will also enter the muffler and cause a loud backfire when the engine is shut down.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 06-14-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Humble Opinion:

There are many Model A "myths" & lots of Model A "heresies" written about Model A air filters -- & on the other hand, also there are some informative articles written on same; however, if one wants to learn the real "truth" about "how" to use & how to "not" use Model A air filters , two (2) wonderful lab tested informative places to start include:

A. "Model - A .Org, & scroll down to, or search: "Filtering Air"; and.

B. "K&N Filter Facts You Should Know"

1. It is not very difficult to understand that the amount of air needed to be provided for any internal combustion engine is determined by many different factors, but mostly determined by two (2) simple factors:

a) RPM's: Naturally the faster the engine rotates, the more air is required; &,

b) CID: Cubic inch displacement, i.e, the volume of the four (4) Model A combustion chambers measured in cubic inches provided to receive the air & discharge the air just like an air pump at different RPM's is also important.

c) The bottom line is that if one provides an air filter with matching air flow, i.e., no less air that that of no filter, problems cannot occur.

2. In hydraulics, air flow & water flow, even though different, both have a similar equation for flow such that Q = AV, i.e., Q (quantity or volume of flow) = A (area of the opening or channel which water or air is flowing) x V (velocity of the flowing water or air).

3. In simple terms using water as an example, take two (2) Model A radiators, & fill both with water; punch one (1) 2" square hole in the top of one, (similar in size to that of a Model A carburetor intake) & punch seventy (70) 1/4" square holes in the top of the other radiator. Then turn both radiators upside down -- the one with seventy (70) holes empties quicker because more water is flowing -- & not even taking into consideration reduction of cavitation; hence, an air filter "must" be sized for a particular engine so as "not" to be too small thus restricting air flow.

4. Just because one placed an air filter on one's Model A the size of an empty Hunt's Tomatoe Sauce Can years ago & drove 1/8 of a mile, & it is repeatly reported how he was in in deep doo-doo with no air flow , does not mean Model A's cannot operate with carefully designed air filters.

Hope this helps someone trying to filter air flow.

P.S.: Also the "Hi-Boy Air Filters" mentioned earlier on this Forum, and advertised by some Model A vendors & ebay, are provided high above the carburetor intake where they cannot get gasoline soaked; & because dust is heavier than air, they should remain cleaner mounted up high -- similar to the difference in having one's residential A/C filter at floor level or up on the ceiling collecting less dirt off of the floor.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-14-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: add P.S. -- Hope it helps
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
tamagrouchy

I wrote up an article about using the airmaze with a K&N if it's of any interest. http://www.foxvalleymarc.com/Tech_se...k_n_filter.mht

No noticeable loss of power or enrichening and at least I know its filtering a little. I think in the future I am going to better seal where the airmaze elbo meets the carb.
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote