Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Mike

Default 1928 roadster trunk to rumble conversion

Good morning,
A friend dropped off a 1928 roadster with a trunk,
And wants me to convert it over to a rumble seat.
My question is it very difficult to do ? Can I weld up the trunk
Lid and drill another hole for a rumble handle ? Or should
I get a new deck lid ?
Thanks,
Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
bills1020

Default Re: 1928 roadster trunk to rumble conversion

The deck lid should be the same but there are several inner trunk pieces involved to convert it properly. I can provide all the proper panels. Looks like there is a curved inner panel, rumble seat platform, rumble seat floor, and a seat riser, hinge braces, and front braces. 800-543-5035
bills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

For a bit of reference go to my page on rumble lids.

Assuming the lid is a 28-29 lid then you will have to move the lower latch to the upper position. The lower hole can be welded up or some cover it with a button. Positioning the latch is not complex. You need to locate the center line for the hole. The actual position of the square hole and the distance from the top edge are found using the latch itself. The latch must be tight against the outer lid metal so you do not get a depression when you tighten down the rumble handle.

If the lid is an original lid then you REALLY want original rumble hinges. They just lay in and fit nicely. Repro lids on an original lid are just asking for trouble. A repro lid is just not right and you will have lots of fun making it right.

You will need to solidly mount the braces under the rumble seat riser. They will be taking the force of a lid being opened. They were spot welded on all rumble seat cars.

There repro curved inner panel will not have the screw holes in the correct position. You will also have fun setting up the rumble lid stops with repro parts. Just take your time seeing how the parts need to fit and function.

Note that the curved inner panel has a spare tire brace rivet to it with a rectangular hole. This is needed for a rear spare.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
JoeWay

There seem to be more people wanting to convert from rumble to trunk these days than the other way around. Find one of them and trade parts.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

If your friend insists on a rumble seat, then I'd follow JoeWay's advice.

But first I'd put the project on hold and ask your friend to think long and hard about doing the change. Many rumble seat owner's are now longing for a trunk, as they are much more practical. Several rumble seat owner's here have mantioned that they won't even allow anyone to ride in the rear because of the added danger. Hopefully your friend will reconsider and keep the trunk. It's kind of like me living in Minnesota and owning a 28 Phaeton. Sure it's a "cool" car, but most of the time it's too cool. My 29 Tudor is really a lot more practical.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 11-05-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Bruce

That snap-your-loved-one-in-half rumble seat is part of the appeal. This summer we drove (through the country) to the Maple Park Pub and Grill for their incredible burger deal on Wednesdays. Most weeks we had a rumble seat full. Our daughters are in their twenties and get a kick out of the wind in their faces. They are also amazed that I instruct them to step right on the seat cushion.
The middle daughter, who demanded a ride in early March, pronounced the experience, "True brain freeze." It was a bit cool.
That said, I admit that when we drove to Amana for the Hawk A's shindig I took the cushions out to make more room for "necessities." It also provided a great place to stow the car cover without taking time to mash it into its bag.
I still like rumble seats. And aahooga horns.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
tamagrouchy

I converted my roadster to a rumble from a trunk. As far as safety goes, it really isn't that much more dangerous than any other Model A really. Look where the passengers sit in a sedan, right in the rear of the car. With the exception of not being ejected as easily, as the rumble, or any open car for that matter. They're all in reality, rolling metal death traps. The only safety in these cars is the "safety glass" windshield. I drive mine with that knowledge and do my best to avoid being victim of the other guy, as well as myself.
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
asapguy

When I restored my 29 rdstr. a few yrs back I had the parts to go either way. I chose to go with a trunk & very happy I did. We also have a 68C Cabby that we have taken on several long trips. The rumble seat cushions are out 95% of the time. Even with the cushions out it's much harder to get stuff in & out. The rdstr. with the trunk lid has much easier access especially up closer to the front seat.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

I converted the trunk in my '32 roadster to a rumble seat when I restored it in the seventies. If I had it to do over again, I would keep the trunk.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
HillbillyTim

My Coupe was made with a trunk and I'm glad. It's nice to have all the storage room. That said, everytime someone looks at my car, they ask me if it has a rumble seat.

Tim
HillbillyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
sonny30coupe

The coupe I am restoring had a trunk originally. I started the conversion to a rumble seat. However, I recently changed my mind and am going back to the trunk set-up. Safety and storage are the determining factors.
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Good morning,
A friend dropped off a 1928 roadster with a trunk,
And wants me to convert it over to a rumble seat.
My question is it very difficult to do ? Can I weld up the trunk
Lid and drill another hole for a rumble handle ? Or should
I get a new deck lid ?
Thanks,
Mike
Mike, I have a customer who has '28 Roadster with a rumble seat conversion that is interested in going back to a trunk. Very likely he would be interested in doing some trading with you if that would help. Contact me off-line and I'll put the two of y'all together.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Steve Wastler

I converted to a rumble on my roadster 30 years ago, it's neat, but when I redo the car, I am putting the trunk back....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote