Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
Marchak55

Default Ford flatheads oil gallery tube

I have two ford flatheads I want to start rebuilding here soon both are rusty. And from the looks at of it both will need to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement one? Do they make aftermarket? Anyway to make one? Thanks for any advice
Marchak55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Ford flatheads oil gallery tube

If you read my book you will see a picture of the tube and explanation of the expanded areas which seal in the block. I am not aware of anyone who sells this individual part. Yes, I could make one and maybe you can too. But, it might be easier to find a good tube in a scrap block. First, however, it would be prudent to be certain what you have is not usable.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchak55 View Post
I have two ford flatheads I want to start rebuilding here soon both are rusty. And from the looks at of it both will need to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement one? Do they make aftermarket? Anyway to make one? Thanks for any advice
Just a tip, have seen some fairly rusted Flatheads over time but not one that I can recall ever needed that tube replaced, not a single one?

Some of those tubes looked downright horrible, but never a single issue.

It's not as easy to replace as it looks, it has "knurls" on it in 3 sections, you risk breaking the block when attempting to remove it.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of one taken from a junk block, if you look closely you can see the dimensions written on it. The O.D. is .556", the I.D. is .375", this makes for a .090" wall, fairly heavy. Would take a bunch of bad "rusting" to eat through that thickness to the point it would cause any damage!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Oil Feed Tube E.JPG (60.3 KB, 87 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Just a tip, have seen some fairly rusted Flatheads over time but not one that I can recall ever needed that tube replaced, not a single one?

Some of those tubes looked downright horrible, but never a single issue.

It's not as easy to replace as it looks, it has "knurls" on it in 3 sections, you risk breaking the block when attempting to remove it.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of one taken from a junk block, if you look closely you can see the dimensions written on it. The O.D. is .556", the I.D. is .375", this makes for a .090" wall, fairly heavy. Would take a bunch of bad "rusting" to eat through that thickness to the point it would cause any damage!

Interesting. I always thought it was just some thin walled tubing. Once again, Ford used some quality stuff.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
flatjack9

I've run across one block with a hole rusted in the tube. Several with pretty deep pitting that I am leery of.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Marchak55

Thanks for the advice guys I know one block set outside for a number of years and they’re going to the machine shop to get cleaned this week to make sure they are salvageable after that I’ll send some pictures of it and you can give me yawls advice on that. If they turn out not to be salvageable I guess I’ll make nice coffee tables
Marchak55 is offline   Reply With Quote