Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Side Curtains for Very Little Money

A couple years ago I saw someone from the Rochester, MN Model A club that had made side curtains for their Roadster out of a sheet of clear plastic. This is the type of thick flexible plastic like the rear windows in older convertibles use. This was made as a temporary solution to not having side curtains. I liked it because it was cheap and quick to do, plus being all clear it didn't block the view out the side.

In the Twin Cities we have a surplus store called "The Axman", and when I was there yesterday they had some of this rolled up for $10 a roll. I bought a roll, and it's more than enough to do both sides of my Phaeton. They have a few more rolls, if someone in the area needs to make a good temporary, or even long term side curtains.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Side Curtains for Very Little Money

Tom,
Have you tried to install snaps in the plastic? Might be difficult. How are you going to make the "vent flap" to be able to open your doors in your 28 phaeton? However, you have done a lot of creative stuff, so I am sure you will figure out a way to do them.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Tom,
Have you tried to install snaps in the plastic? Might be difficult. How are you going to make the "vent flap" to be able to open your doors in your 28 phaeton? However, you have done a lot of creative stuff, so I am sure you will figure out a way to do them.
Rusty Nelson
Rusty,
Not hard at all. I had a pickup that the back-window was removed and we had a snap-in heavy plastic window. Place snaps in it just like canvas.

Ted

Tom,

I'd take a roll, but it's a long drive from Virginia. I'll find some when I get to that point or maybe one of my children will buy me side curtains.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
wrndln

Ted,
Tom is in our model A club and sometimes drives to the clinic we have each month when we have in decent weather (certain not now with the bigtime snow). Maybe he will have the special curtains on his car this spring and I can see what he did.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
whirnot

Tom,
Do you know where you can get patterns? My roadster does not have side curtains, but has all the snaps etc.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Tom,
Do you know where you can get patterns? My roadster does not have side curtains, but has all the snaps etc.
No idea where to get patterns. This plastic should help extend the days I can drive my Phaeton without freezing on cold nights.

I haven't decided yet how I will hold the plastic in place, but just wanted to buy it since it was cheap and available. I'm slowly learning, you gotta buy it when you see it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
whirnot

Since they are not going to be "Correct" I guess you could just cut them too large, mark and place the fasteners, install them and trim to fit? I am going to explore that route. I too want to extend my driving days, but can't stomach $500 for side curtains.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote