Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2023, 09:55 AM   #1
whatdoyouwant

Default 48 brakes

I have a question about the brake shoes on my 48 car. I am more familiar with the type of brakes that have an adjustment wheel at the bottom of the shoes. My 48 brakes have an eccentric new the top center of the shoes. When this is adjusted out so the brakes drag, what causes' the bottom halve of the shoe to contact the drum? When I activate the brake pedal, the cylinder pushes out the top of the shoe but it seems the bottom only pivots. This makes me think that only the top quarter of the shoe is all that ever contacts the drum. Please help me understand.

al
whatdoyouwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:16 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 48 brakes

Al, what you are familiar with is the "modern" Bendix style self energizing brake where the adjustment is on the bottom which floats, as well as the big cam at the top for each shoe. The old Fords have a system designed by Lockeed. The 39 and 40 brakes have adjustments cams on the bottom of each shoe as well as the top, and the later ones like 42-48 I believe only pivot on the bottom. I don't know about 41s. And yes, not ideal.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 11-13-2023 at 10:22 AM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
Andy

The later shoes had slots at the bottom. This allows the shoes to slide into position. Much better tha the old style.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 12:44 PM   #4
whatdoyouwant

Andy, what do you mean by later shoes? Can I order them for my 48?
whatdoyouwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:34 PM   #5
51woodie

I think you posted this question on the Early ford V8 site. My answer with pictures is posted there.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:56 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoyouwant View Post
I have a question about the brake shoes on my 48 car. I am more familiar with the type of brakes that have an adjustment wheel at the bottom of the shoes. My 48 brakes have an eccentric new the top center of the shoes. When this is adjusted out so the brakes drag, what causes' the bottom halve of the shoe to contact the drum? When I activate the brake pedal, the cylinder pushes out the top of the shoe but it seems the bottom only pivots. This makes me think that only the top quarter of the shoe is all that ever contacts the drum. Please help me understand.

al

Hey Al ..... This same question came-up here some time back. In fact, it comes-up somewhat frequently. So a while back I took a few minutes to try to describe the differences between LOCKHEED (old Ford) type brakes and BENDIX (self energizing) brakes. There's quite a difference in the operating theory between the two types. Please click the link BELOW!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...35&postcount=1

I hope that the info in this link as well as the video embedded in my link ABOVE will help to clear-up the differences for you.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote