Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
Jay Ogle

Default Holley carb for Model S Ford

Anybody have experience with a Holley carb on a 1908 Model S? It looks simple enough and appears to function like a later Model T carb but can’t get gas to draw into the manifold. The carb is squeaky clean and new gas. Bowl fills up nicely.
Jay Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Holley carb for Model S Ford

The two I'm familiar with are the model G and the model NH with the G being the earlier type. The NH has a simple passage for idle but the G has a tube. I don't have any info on the carbs for the N, R, & S models but I know that they are basically backward from the T since they are on the left side instead of the right.

Most of the carbs in the early era have a fixed size idle passage with no adjustment other than the main needle. The float level should be very near the same level as the main feed in the venturi, Too high and it will leak fuel at the main nozzle and run rich. Too low and it won't draw fuel very well and run lean. The idle passage should be chased with a wire or something to make sure it's clear. If a wire won't work then blow carb spray cleaner through it using the little plastic spray tube. Just don't get it in your eyes.

I've seen some odd ones in that era but most Holleys work on a very similar design planform. The T usually has the needle turned off the stop from 7/8 of a turn to 1 1/8 of a turn but every engine and carb is different. The smaller 149 CID 4-cylinder may have relatively low compression so make sure it has enough to pull fuel with the choke (or strangler) on.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #3
G Baese

The N-R-S Holley has a screen over the intake and no 'choke' as such. It has a flood button that depresses the float for starting.
If the flood doesn't work, hold your hand over the intake, crank it over once, turn on the coils and crank again.
Good luck
G Baese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #4
rotorwrench

That confirms the photos I've seen of them with the inlet screen facing up, It's interesting that they have what a lot of folks in the UK refer to as a tickler button. Amal motorcycle carburetors used a float tickler button to enrichen mixture for starting. Increasing the level of the float chamber above the level of the main feed in the venturi will cause fuel to pour out there enough to be similar to what a strangler valve or choke does. The only problem with that is that during cold starting it helps to be able to limit the air coming in until the engine is warm enough to keep itself running. On those early cars a person would just have to try keeping it running at higher rpm till it warms enough to idle.

It's too bad there isn't more information out there on these early carburetors. The technology was still in its infancy stage since it was less that 10-years from the first reliable carburetors being functionally useful.

I found this link that has a bit of information about both Holley and Kingston carburetors. I'm sure the Kingston would predate the 5 ball types but not by much if so.
http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20...s_List-27.html

There is also an owners manual on there for the N that has initial starting procedures. The timer on the N-R-S types is in a very tight spot to get to so I hope the spark is timed well enough for proper start and running.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-08-2022 at 10:26 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
G Baese

N-R-S Holley Carb

Last edited by G Baese; 08-09-2022 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Tried adding photo- failed
Old 08-09-2022, 05:56 PM   #6
G Baese

Again-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N-R-S- Carb copy.jpg (35.0 KB, 25 views)