Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #21
DA-WOODY

Default Re: 41 Ford SuperDeluxe - V8 Rings stuck (again)

DA-WOODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #22
DA-WOODY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
For one thing, I noticed a lot of rust color in at least one cylinder - that means you've had water in the engine and the resulting rust is what is the most likely cause of the engine being stuck. I would not try the "quick and dirty approach" - I'd pull the engine, get the block checked out, get the rust out of it and then assess where to go from there. You really won't know what you need to do until everything is cleaned, checked, clearances checked, block cleaned/magged/pressure tested, etc.. Best of luck and welcome to the Barn!

looking in person the cylinders don't so much have rust, the Pic of the underside of the head shows rust forming and perhaps a failed gasket fron the water passage located at the top left side.
The more I see the more I'm scarred that it was just Repaired rather than Made All Happy last time it was opened up
I Personally am AGAINST not Fixing what I pass going into/outof whatever project as the Labor isn't much different (I work for myself for RUM) and when yer done you Live Forever with the Quality of Work/Parts you put into it.
I'm not in a Rush as I have many other projects to get out of my Bucket ... But I Do want to drive My Baby Looking like a New Shoe sometime sooner than later...
So do up the Wood & Tin and keep an Eye out for another engine that someone else did Everything to ? or keep digging to see if this might be worth going through ?? I want it to look Period Correct (that's why I don't have a V-12 in it = Stupid) and don't want to dump another $30K+ into her ..........
So Confusing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I read the FAQ and looks like a New thread for More Pix, I don't want to stuff the forum with multiple threads about 1 project... so I guess I shall need to post to my URL and put the links on here to show whats up
Unless someone has some suggestions on that "I want to be a GOOD Guest"
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #23
rotorwrench

Its a crusty one for sure. A lot of good answers to the Op's question so far. Don't forget that valves can stick too. I found a busted cam in an old truck engine where the farmer "broke it loose" with is tractor but that wasn't all that broke. The cam was in three pieces. One of the hollow followers had a hole in it where the valve stem penetrated. Not a pretty site. ATF & Acetone is a less expensive way to make a lot of penetrant that also has some lubricant qualities to it for freeing up corrosion. If it's hard carbon then the Marvel Mystery Oil is the good stuff.

I use a cut down wood pick handle to drive on piston tops. I don't think a person can hurt one that way and if they do then it's time for new pistons anyway.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Since this a temporary fix to drive the car, you don't need to spend a small fortune pulling the engine to inspect, magna flux, etc., etc. I'd suggest pulling the other head and flushing the water jackets as best you can. leave the intake on and put some grease around the edges of the pistons to keep water from trickling into the pan, and blast away! A high pressure power washer and an air nozzle will do wonders. Once you free it up (if you haven't already) Put the heads back on and see how well it runs. You're only out the price of a set of head gaskets!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #25
DA-WOODY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Since this a temporary fix to drive the car, you don't need to spend a small fortune pulling the engine to inspect, magna flux, etc., etc. I'd suggest pulling the other head and flushing the water jackets as best you can. leave the intake on and put some grease around the edges of the pistons to keep water from trickling into the pan, and blast away! A high pressure power washer and an air nozzle will do wonders. Once you free it up (if you haven't already) Put the heads back on and see how well it runs. You're only out the price of a set of head gaskets!

More Exploratory Surgery @ this point
nothing off the table, but getting it running is the short term goal
but I don't want to do it stupid
will need to see how it goes
keeping an eye out for a sweet deal on a Fresh engine
Like everyone else no doubt