Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
41ford1

Default I think I've been influenced by the dark side

Well guys, I went and bought this. A '53 courier with a 215" six equiped with an Offy 2 pot manifold and fenton headers. Ya, I know its not a flathead but it will keep my flathead pickup company.

41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: I think I've been influenced by the dark side

These however, were faster than a flathead. Shocking HUH!
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
41ford1

Ron,
That is a bit surprising. In its current state the 41 pickup with the 59ab feels quicker. The 53 came with all these neat speed goodies but is still running the LOM distributor. I don't think the full potential is realized. I am working on fixing that situation with some help from the folks over on the fordsix forum. When I get it resolved I'll give it a run to Chester, VT if you don't mind the visit.
How is the economy engine coming?
Chuck
Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Brendan

its still blue oval, the good side, bowties are the darkside

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Chuck, I really like the looks of that courier that for some reason I was mistakenly calling a sedan delivery. IMO not all old Fords must be FH V8's to be coooool. I'm sure that '40 pickup will enjoy the company and both vehicles will be useful in the family business.
Question...when did Ford introduce its OHV six? I guess I always assumed it was '54 in the USA when the OHV V8 was introduced.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
41ford1

John,
You are not mistaken, Courier = Sedan Delivery. Ford replaced the 226" flathead 6 with the 215" OHV 6 in '52. That engine was replaced by the 223" OHV 6 in '54. I found it strange that the 223" is a completely different block. The outside visible change is relocation of the distibutor from the center to further forward.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Ol Henry was dead set against anything close to the GM OHV sixes or any straight 8 stuff. For economy he went the 9N and V8-60 route in preference and luxury had the V-12. After he died things finally started to slowly change over to the OHV monkey motion motors. FoMoCo still had family involvement but was going more toward corporate bean counter ideas just to keep up with the competition.

Fo Mo Co was behind the power curve on 6-cylinder OHV development. I remember them running well enough but they liked to leak more than the Chevy did.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
bart78

Still a cool car no matter what you got in it.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Tinker

I had a 215 in my 53' I just sold. It just ran. I could let it sit for 6 months, go out charge the battery and it'd fire and drive. Always.

They were, I believe, rated 1 less hp then the FH of that year. Not a lot of speed equipment available but if you have the offy already and if your lucky enough to have the fenton dual exhaust your ahead of the speed game. Maybe a head job with some Barker highlift rocker arms.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

WE had a 52 PU with the OH 6 in it and this thing was really quick off the line for a beater parts getter.
Just started putting the econo engine together today, but got side tracked. I only have Ben for the day and I wanted some work on the energency brake cables under the truck, also had too make some mods to the "K" member for drive shaft clearance.
Like I said the block is ready for assembly, but I want to degree in a few more cams I found and I don't have another block handy. It should be done bu the end of the week, if I don't have any problems.
Stop in anytime enjoy the company
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
cuzncletus

Don't know about the 215, but a 223 showed up at our local dirt track here in SE Georgia at a vintage race. It was in a 57 300 tudor. The thing absolutely flew. The flatheads weren't even in the same league. Unfortunately it flew for only three or four laps, then something went radically wrong on the back straight when it briefly made some very expensive noises. Too bad. I felt sorry for the guy. It was really a first class effort and I love to see anything different, especially underdogs.
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #12
barryfromvictoria

ol ron cuzn --- i used to race stock cars in `69 -`70 at western speedway and after being allowed to use 223 inch sixes in my class the flathead was doomed. by the end of the season nearly everyone had switched to the 223 .the chevy guys cried so much we had to let them use the 264 cu inch canadian pontiac six just to be competitive. i remember you used to replace the weird pin holding the oil pump drive with a simple cotter pin. the original pin would fall out sometimes. since we would remove the oilpump screen the pin would eventually get sucked in to the pump and jam between the gears and instant no oil pressure and ruin the motor. don`t ask how i know this.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
Tinker

The 53' with the i6 I had, had no problems with traffic ever. It moved along quite nicely.

I was referring to fords advertisements of the mile-maker 6, it being 1hp under the flathead.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #14
$2ford

I just recently bought a 53 courier project and am really excited to start sketching out some ideas for it. It is one of my absolute all time favorite vehicles. The agreement with the wife was that I could buy the car as long as I promised to get the 55 Country Sedan road worthy before I started working on the 53. Needless to say the proverbial fire has been lit below me arse! I would love to see some more pictures of your Courier, especially the interior and cargo area. Looks wicked sharp by the way.