Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
41ford1

Default Re: Slightly OT '53 six issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I seem to remember a glass float bowl on the 52 & 53 carburetors. You could tell if the float was sticking or not unless varnish build up would sort of stain the glass.
I know those well. I had a couple of Falcons in the '60s that had the glass bowls. The Courier has an Offy 2 carb manifold with 2 metal bowl 1904s on it. I went in to the second carb today. Everything inside appears clean with the exception of a fine black gritty substance that sinks to bottom. The inline filter that is installed before the backup electric pump close to the tank is clear. I've only used the electric to prime the carb after the car has been sitting a while. Bad gas or a disintergating mechanical pump? The mystery continues.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
chuck stevens

It's a clifford, with a Holley 390. Not the best but, a lot better than the single barrel that it came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
All the plugs got pulled when I changed the chain. The burn looks pretty even from 1 to 6. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know what turns up. So, what manifold are you running on the 300"?
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
I have a 300 six in my f-100 with an after market intake and carb, and found that it wasn't sealing good aginst the head. I ended up using two gaskets to get it to seal. If you think it's a vacumn leak, spray some WD40 on the gaskets while it's running.
Excellent suggestion. I cleaned out the second carb. Started up and runs better. I ran your test with carb cleaner. No change when cold. Ran it a 1/2 hour it to fully warm up. I did the test again. The back manifold runner to the head has a slight leak. Tried tightening the two bolts on that runner. It made things a bit better. Its looking like a gasket replacement is in my future.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #24
chuck stevens

Great, I know you use this car alot and getting those bugs worked out is a must. This junky gasoline doesn't help, I had to go to bigger main jets in my 39. I runs better but MPG is way down. Good luck, Chuck S.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
41ford1

Well this saga continues. What I thought was a cure was not. I posted on the '54 & up section. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111288