Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 AM   #81
DougVieyra

Default Re: Merger again considered, Credible opinions requested

For those old enough to remember, at one time there WAS only ONE Model A Club. The Model A Restorer's Club. It was started back east and it's composition largely reflected the interests of it's Eastern members.

However, after a few years, the largest of MARC's West Coast chapters began to feel that the more relaxed view point of California was not being reflected in the national club. So several of the MARC chapters in the Southern California region decided to group together and form their own Model A Club, to better reflect the feelings of the West Coast members.

Hence, the formation of a second national club to support the restoring and driving of the Ford Model A - The Model A Ford Club of America - MAFCA.

I suspect that after more than a half a century, there is still a strong feeling by many Model A'ers west of the Mississippi, that there is a need of a more 'relaxed' attitude about the driving and restoring of the Ford Model A.

Hence - I see nothing on the horizon that indicates to me that the majority of westerners would want to see MAFCA merge back into MARC.

- Doug Vieyra - MAFCA member since 1963
- MARC member since 1963 - dropped in 1998

P.S. - For those who are not members of MAFCA, the latest edition of their magazine, THE RESTORER, had an excellent article on the "Basics of Front End Wheel Alignment". This kind of article is what makes the membership in one of the national clubs worth joining. Over the years, I have found that I prefer the MAFCA over the MARC publications, but both are well worth the read. Some like Porter House Steak - others prefer Rib Eye Steak. But they are both Steak - you don't have to have both.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 01-28-2015 at 06:31 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #82
ericr

one thing that I have not seen discussed, which I think is relevant though not conclusive, would be the respective numbers of members within each national club and their geographical locations. I assume that MARC is more dominant in the eastern half of the country but I have no evidence of that.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #83
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Everybody must be bored by the winter weather. Please find something else to do. Like Fred above says, bury it!
Or, instead of burying is cremation available?
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #84
hangarb7

I am a relative newby, owned my car and been a member of MARC since 2008.

Our local MARC affiliate club (Three Rivers Model A, Pittsburgh) requires that I be a member of MARC, so that is why I joined. Nice magazine.

I see no reason to join another organization and also believe if there is a competition for members, that is a good thing.

Regards,

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #85
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
I wonder why you demand to 'just bury this'?
Could it be that you don't like it?
Look at the amount of people who have viewed and commented on it. Whether you want to be involved, as you can see, many others than you, feel it is important.
The members should have a say how the future of their club is managed.
Please, if you have a constructive idea, solution, or thought; present it here in the public forum.
If you, personally don't like it, pass it by.
Show me and everyone here where I "DEMANDED" anything ??... The Majority of people that have commented here want the clubs and magazines as is.. Show us "ALL" the "OTHERS" that feel this subject is Important ??.. If you don't like how either one or both clubs are run & need all this other information you talk of, here is my ? to you. Why are you NOT on one of the clubs BOD etc.. They are always looking for people to do volunteer work..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #86
portside

I'm like Fred and like it just fine the way it is!
portside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #87
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
This morning MAFCA posted:

MAFCA announces it's "15 in 15 Membership Program!" MAFCA has set a goal of 15,000 members in 2015. We are asking all MAFCA members to help achieve this goal. Your chapter has received special incentives to achieve the goal, contact your Chapter representative for more information!

I replied :
I would like an honest opinion. I know this is a hot topic, but it is relevant.

In today's world, all social type clubs are losing members. When I was young there was many choices, the garden club, camera club, Masonic or Knights, etc. Most all are dwindling or gone.

I am well aware of the circumstances that caused the separation that divided one national club into two national Model A clubs.
But I am going ask that controversial taboo question.

Why can't MAFCA & MARC merge into one.

Currently both clubs compete for members, maintain two headquarters, publish two magazines, organize two different sets of national meets (both attempting to attract members from the same limited, and reducing, number of Model A owners).

I have posted this an several Model A based sites, and the overwhelming response is that members support a merger to one club.

With this, the operating costs would drop dramatically. The cost of having two headquarters, two sets of employees, two publications, opposing national meets, and membership dues all would benefit.
With a merger I can only think of how this would positively benefit the dues paying members.

With increasing dues for both clubs, and so many of our membership on fixed incomes, more are forced to choose one over the other. Many are 'opting out'.

Now is the time to forgive and forget the history that divided our club. That is in the past. Let us place our direction on the future.

Please answer directly, what is the reason that prevents the two clubs from uniting into one larger, organized, efficient national club?
Thank you.
Looks like this is not "RELEVANT" to most here, and the "OVERWHELMING RESPONSE" is not what you claim..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #88
ericr

at least here in Ohio, many non-profit organizations, such as cemeteries, and animal welfare organizations, to name just two, maintain their perpetual existence through a scenario where the original trustees elect successor trustees elect successor trustees, etc. very few true "outsiders" stand a chance of easily waltzing into control of such organizations without putting in a lot of time advancing up the ranks.
As such, there is not much of an ongoing mindset to think in terms of abdicating one's position therein through mergers, consolidations, etc.

I'm not saying that is the structure of the "A" clubs, I really do not know. Conceivably it could be.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #89
jimalabam

First I agree with both Pluck and Marco. Most of us are members of both Nationals and do not favor merging. Secondly, Like Ford and GM, this will never happen. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #90
jimalabam

I forgot to say - Lets bury this dead horse since it has sadly been beaten to death...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #91
DGNY

While I don't own a Model A any more, nor belong to either MARC or MAFCA, I do greatly enjoy this forum and do belong to four other car clubs. The question raised is a logical one, with some superficial appeal about expenses, duplication, simplicity.... But underlying it, of course, are other more compelling issues.

One is that we are used to having choices and lots of them. Once they appear, they are hard to give up. And why should they be surrendered? It is part of freedom to have choices. If I wish, I can have several blue shirts, though I might need only one. Car clubs are not like multiple choice test questions where there is just one 'right' answer, more like ice cream, with many flavors, available singly or in multiples. Join one, all, or none.

Long live freedom of choice - including multiple choices.

Regards,

Dyson
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #92
Skibb

You guys pulled me in on this one. Its actually an interesting topic. That said, free speech is precious; we all should encourage the freedom of speech.

I'm a newbie again. After being a MARC member in the late 50's, life spun me away from this superb hobby. Then I died in the ER four years ago but was given second chance. When I finally do step across them Pearly Gates, St Peter will ask what did you do with your second chance Skibb. I'll say, I put a smile on face by driving Model A's. If St Pete is a crossed eyed modernist you know where I'll go. The odds are he'll put me in an A.

So, I belong to the two clubs. Enjoy them both. But if they were to be combined, we' have a split again. The division creates strength for our hobby.

A club we have here is a Ford Barner Club. It's a pretty good one too.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #93
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNY View Post
While I don't own a Model A any more, nor belong to either MARC or MAFCA, I do greatly enjoy this forum and do belong to four other car clubs. The question raised is a logical one, with some superficial appeal about expenses, duplication, simplicity.... But underlying it, of course, are other more compelling issues.

One is that we are used to having choices and lots of them. Once they appear, they are hard to give up. And why should they be surrendered? It is part of freedom to have choices. If I wish, I can have several blue shirts, though I might need only one. Car clubs are not like multiple choice test questions where there is just one 'right' answer, more like ice cream, with many flavors, available singly or in multiples. Join one, all, or none.

Long live freedom of choice - including multiple choices.

Regards,

Dyson
I agree with Dyson . We should all have freedom of choice and nobody should try to mess with that freedom !!!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #94
H. L. Chauvin

Appears this particular horse will live forever in the U. S. A. among those who prefer freedom of choices.

But how about this (1) one choice scenario for entertaining a more serious discussion?

Suppose underwear companies would discontinue making all sizes of boxer shorts & only made briefs in Size 32 ...... thus having only one (1) choice.

Might cause upward pressure on your spinal chord & cause headaches.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #95
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Appears this particular horse will live forever in the U. S. A. among those who prefer freedom of choices.

But how about this (1) one choice scenario for entertaining a more serious discussion?

Suppose underwear companies would discontinue making all sizes of boxer shorts & only made briefs in Size 32 ...... thus having only one (1) choice.

Might cause upward pressure on your spinal chord & cause headaches.

I'd pretty much be in trouble...
Old 01-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #96
brum1

Does anyone know what the membership trend for each natonal club looks like for the past 5 years? Have they grown the membership?? Maybe if the membership is growing for each club all is good!! If not maybe a merger may help grow the hobby.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #97
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum1 View Post
Does anyone know what the membership trend for each natonal club looks like for the past 5 years? Have they grown the membership?? Maybe if the membership is growing for each club all is good!! If not maybe a merger may help grow the hobby.
Seems like MAFCA is slowly growing not sure about MARC. I believe I read where MAFCA is nearing 15,000 members. MAFCA was often times noted as 'the biggest auto club devoted to one make of automobile' and I believe that still holds true today. EFV-8 Club is what, maybe half that? For comparison.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #98
BlueSunoco

[QUOTE=H. L. Chauvin;1023716

Might cause upward pressure on your spinal chord & cause headaches.[/QUOTE]

Spinal chord would only be a small part of your worries. How about the boys
Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #99
DougVieyra

For those who are not members of MAFCA, the latest edition of their magazine, THE RESTORER, had an excellent article on the "Basics of Front End Wheel Alignment". This kind of article is what makes the membership in one of the national clubs worth joining. Over the years, I have found that I prefer the MAFCA over the MARC publications, but both are well worth the read. Some like Porter House Steak - others prefer Rib Eye Steak. But they are both Steak - you don't have to have both.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #100
CarlG

4 years ago I asked here "which club should I join?". Don't know that I got a hundred posts, but there were several.

So, here's my track:

I joined the only local club here: Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska. They required me to also be a member of AACA. Then within the local AAMA, is a subset: Alaskan A's, a chapter of MAFCA. Only logical that, (while not required) I joined MAFCA. Besides that I got this great magazine. My choice then was, Why not MARC? If for no other reason than to get their magazine, I felt it was worth it. Then I saw John LaVoy's magazine & while there was no club to join, I subscribed to it as well.

If for no other reason, I get these 4 first class magazines, all for less than it costs me for my wife's quilting magazines and the local quilt clubs she belongs to.

I see no reason to change.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote