Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
shoe box Jack

Default chev. 2gc 283 carb.

I have a chance to buy a rebuilt 2gC carb. for 50.00 the 49 ford is working real good would the 2gc carb. work any better ? jack
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: chev. 2gc 283 carb.

Only if it's a "small base" and you run it on a bored out Merc 4 bolt manifold. I run that combination on the '51 Merc in my '51 Ford and it works great. Using a 4 bolt to 3 bolt adapter on a stock Ford manifold is a waste of time, in my opinion. If you decide to proceed, I have done this several times and can give you a few tips.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:26 AM   #3
Ol' Ron

Converting the 2GC carb to a 3 bolt intake is quite simple. Just fill the PB vacuum port with JB weld and drill the third hole. Alittle fileing will clear the front 2 holes and the carb will bolt directly to the manifold. Unfortunately the Ford intake can't be bored out without sleving the intake. I use this method to add the 2gc carb to the Offy 2 duce intake that hs the carbs over the ports. This can be bored out.
Stock jets work fine, also this works grea with one of Charlies distributors.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #4
tubman

That sounds like a lot of work for a manifold whose bores are too small for the carb. Merc manifolds are available, and a small base 2G will bolt right on. Also, they can be bored to match the carb without problems. I have a guide made out of 1" aluminum that bolts to the manifold and I use a 1 7/16" Rota-Broach to enlarge the bores. I have done both aluminum and cast iron intakes and they both cut easily. I bore all the way down and smooth the transitions with a die grinder when I'm done.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #5
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe box Jack View Post
I have a chance to buy a rebuilt 2gC carb. for 50.00 the 49 ford is working real good would the 2gc carb. work any better ? jack
If you are still running the Load A Matic distributor, the vacuum from the 2GC will be too much for it. If your car is running good I would leave it alone. The bigger carb alone won't do much.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
40cpe

duplicate
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
shoe box Jack

Hi Tubman, yes I'm interested I now have a 49 merc. intake the 2g carb. fits the linkage is on the wrong side also I would like to keep the oil bath filter look? . looks like a winter project .thanks for any help jack.
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:01 PM   #8
tubman

Run the carb backwards; it won't mind at all. When you do that, everything falls into place except the choke (which is backwards). I simply run the automatic choke. Both Chevrolets and Mercury's had automatic chokes. The only thing you have to watch for is they both offered a choice of divorced (actuating element on the manifold) and regular (actuating element on the carburetor) automatic chokes. I have done it both ways and they both worked well, and the parts needed only minor modifications. A slight bend of the actuating rod on the divorced style and a shortening of the heat tube on the regular version. If you're lucky enough to have the carburetor choke type match the type on the manifold. it's super easy. I have a number of small base 2G's around, so I have always been able to match them up. I have never tried to mix 'n match them.

Chevrolet 2G's are nice, since the fuel inlet is on the side matching the stock fuel line. Other makes (B-O-P) have front fuel outlets.

One last thing : the base of the Chevrolet carb has cast-in heat passages that can cause vacuum leaks. I have had a batch special aluminum plates made up to eliminate this problem. PM me and I'll send you one for postage (about $2).

And "40Cpe" is correct; the carburetor will not run well with the stock Load-a-Matic distributor. You can either run a converted SBC distributor or (my choice) an old Mallory dual point (they have "the look").
Old 08-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #9
tubman

Here are some pictures. First, the carb plate I use to make sure there are no vacuum leaks at the base. The plate is open between the bores, well, because just about all of the base gaskets I have seen are that way. Next is a Merc manifold with the divorced choke mechanism (the rod just goes up to the carb). This manifold came off of the '51 Merc engine now in my Ford. Last is a manifold for a conventional choke. The choke heater tube just goes into the smaller hole.

Note that there is one of my plates on the silver manifold; see how it is larger that the manifold base. It is the same size and pattern as the base of a 2G..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022-08-26 11.13.58.jpg (49.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2022-08-26 11.15.18.jpg (73.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2022-08-26 11.21.38.jpg (61.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2022-08-26 11.57.20.jpg (42.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by tubman; 08-26-2022 at 01:24 PM.