Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
ford38v8

Default "Upgrades": How far would you go?

After reading this, there are those who would consider me a Hot Rodder, and others who would think me a Purist. I do consider myself a Purist, but not radically so. In other words:
I would look with favor on adjustible lifters in an early model.
I appreciate an Optima 6v battery skillfully concealed within a Script battery case.
'39 - '48 gearsets in an earlier transmission.
Correctly installed floaters in mechanical brakes.
Of these kinds of upgrades, the machining of axle housings to accept new bearing races would of course be the most defensible.
These "Upgrades" seem to me to be perfectly logical and not hypocritical at all.

There is another sort of upgrade of which I do not understand, unless done on an all-out Hot Rod:
Electronic ignition.
Solid state radio conversion.
Air conditioning.
Solid state voltage regulators.
12 volt conversions.
Alternators.
Radial tires.
The most understandable of these type of upgrades of course, would be conversion to hydraulics.

I hasten to add that I dislike Billet, of which the above upgrades (and more) are a natural choice. Traditional Hot Rods are, in my opinion, the best of both worlds, appreciated by, I would think, most everyone in the (Early Ford) hobby but the most radical of Purists.

Being one man and one opinion, it would be interesting to read of other opinions. I'm hoping to generate a reasoned discussion here, so my question is:
Does my opinion differ from the majority, or are most Barners on board with me?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Scott H

Default Re: "Upgrades": How far would you go?

I'm pretty much okay with the lists you've posted. Seems to fit my opinion as well.

You didn't mention anything about paint colors or interior. When it comes to 65/66 Mustang, I really hate seeing anything other than a factory color paint but that may be because I know what the factory colors are. On my '36 pickup I plan to use Wimbledon White, a nice creamy antique white which I think looks vintage but from my understanding was not an available color.
Same thing with engines. I like the looks of the OEM 65/66 engine bay and engine colors but I'm thinking of doing a non-stock color on my flathead (red).

I did red wide-fives and wide white walls for the wheels & tires.
P1060011 (640x480).jpg

I haven't decided on the interior yet. Might go traditional black all throughout or may splurge and go two tone red and white hot rod colors.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Frank Miller

I have a solid state voltage regulator installed in an original housing on my 49 convertible. It works flawless with the original 6 volt generator. Radials handle and ride better if you plan to do any touring. I am not a fan of hydraulic brakes. Mechanical properly rebuilt with floaters will do the job. There is also nothing to leak. No corrosive fluid. Solid state radio is great if you want to listen to music. I never turn on AM. My 49 has the correct 8 tube and I just throw a portable iPod player on the front seat.

This winter I am going to try and beef up the front seat spring a bit. It may be some ad coils or maybe things need to be tied together better. I plan on a layer of high density foam instead of the cotton that was original.

Some people swear by the electronic ignitions. My car starts after one turn. Runs good and it is easy to fix. I know how much electronics are needed to run newer cars but I abhor the complexity they have brought on. I like stuff I depend on to be easy to understand and fix.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
flatheadfan

Alan-

Add me to the non-purist group. I have a very low mileage '35 coupe that is not exactly bone-stock. I have hydraulic brakes, '39 transmission, '39 steering, Lovejoy shocks and a few other non-original items. All of these additions were done with the avoidance of having to create circumstances that were irreversible if I decided to return it to an original state. In the meantime, I believe the car is a safer vehicle which is far more comfortable to drive than Henry's original creation.

As an aside, you would be surprised at the number of folks who seem to be anxious to tell me what is "wrong" or not original with my car. This does get a little tiresome but I listen politely and then ask them, "Where is your car, I would like to see it?" That usually terminates the conversation!

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
36Bill

How about seat belts and turn signals? My 36 pickup not restored but I like to drive it and want to be safe.

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
flatjack9

If you drive your car a lot, I think radial tires are a must. I had driven my car on the major highways with bias tires and it is not fun. I know we used to all drive with bias tires, but we were used to their affinity for pulling and jerking with the road irregularities. When I had the bias tires on, my wife would not ride with me on the highway. Also I think turn signals are definetly needed. Stick your arm out the window now and someone would think you are giving them a nasty gesture. I also like flatheadfan's answer.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
46ford

Depend how and where you drive. I live in the sticks and have a good set of bias tires and they are OK on the 2-lanes. I plan to add turn signals eventually but around here people are used to slow moving vehicles like farm equipment and Amish carriages so this is a good place to drive an antique car.

My car is 6-volt, with a modern alternator and new wiring (and good grounds) and my lights work well. Don't kid yourself, however; you need to drive defensively. These old cars were not designed to be crashworthy so you need to be on your game. I've avoided lots of trouble by pulling over to let folks pass.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
dude

Seems to me you are asking for the approval of the folks the this forum of your ideas. It's your car, do what you want to with it. You are the one that owns the car ,you are the one that will be driving the car. The changes you have listed ,improve the reliability of the car. Have fun and drive the wheels off it.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Kahuna

Ford38V8
I'm kind of like-minded with you, but have done more/other things. My initial goal was to have a pretty stock appearing 32 Tudor sedan, but a car that could be driven anywhere at highway speeds, if necessary. Stock appearing to all except the purists who I call the 6 volt guys. Guys that would know those differences. To that end here's what I did: Kinda what a 50's hotrodder would have done. I'm old

Flathead engine, 59 type, with stock appearing aluminum heads, 2 carbs, dual exhaust, and yes, 12 volt electronic ignition (Pertronix inside the helmet dist). And a ton of work done to the internals of the engine.

Transmission is a 4 speed Ford (identical to an early Ford truck case, but aluminum), but with modern gears, then backed with a Gear Vendors Overdrive.

Rear axle is the Ford banjo converted to open drive, with 4.11 gearset. The rear axle has been converted to late Ford axles. Final ratio in O/D is 3.20. I also run an alternator, but it's driven from the rear U joint yoke, and hidden.

Hydraulic Lincoln type brakes and 18" wire wheels

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but it's what I wanted

Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
felix37

I believe the most radical of purists on this forum are the minority. I'm totally up for upgrades! people upgraded these cars as soon as they left the show room, accessories were made in 1903 as the first fords were rolling out the door, electric starters were after market accessories before they were factory standard equipment. ever since man was put on four wheels he has constantly upgraded performance,improved safety features and personalized his vehicles.
I also believe how you use your vehicle determines what is acceptable. I literally drive my car everyday, no mater what kind of weather! Every morning I have a 45 minute drive on the freeway and roll 75-80 mph with traffic thanks to my t-5 behind my basically stock 39' engine, I can dart in and out of traffic and stop on a dime thanks to my disc brakes,front and rear sway bars, dropped axle and gas shocks. people can see me with my LED tail lights and I can see great at night with my halogen headlights and 12 volt alt, and since I have two small children I run seat belts front and rear so I can properly mount there car seats. with all of these modifications most people don't know weather it is stock or not,except when I run my polished Torque thrust wheels and radials. The best part of all, is the smiles it puts on peoples faces and the thumbs up I get as I drive bye!
I believe tastefully done modifications will always be accepted by the majority of all car enthusiasts, except the most boring of people, the PURISTS! The museums will always have plenty pure cars collecting dust for reference.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
George/Maine

Upgrades": How far would you go?
It depends on condition of car .my 39 was built the way i wanted it.
Like the 60s my way.
IFS 51 Flathead,c4 auto trans,8inch rear end.
criuse at 55mph at 2k rpms.
I think you open a can of worms. LOL
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46ford View Post
Depend how and where you drive. I live in the sticks and have a good set of bias tires and they are OK on the 2-lanes. I plan to add turn signals eventually but around here people are used to slow moving vehicles like farm equipment and Amish carriages so this is a good place to drive an antique car.

My car is 6-volt, with a modern alternator and new wiring (and good grounds) and my lights work well. Don't kid yourself, however; you need to drive defensively. These old cars were not designed to be crashworthy so you need to be on your game. I've avoided lots of trouble by pulling over to let folks pass.
46 Ford I wish sometimes I could take your advice"just pull over" I do that enough when my wife is riding co-pilot and she is worried about the guy tailgating me at the same time watching my accelerator foot and the speedometer. This worked okay when I drove my 37 with the 60 hp as I had no defense except to get out of the way. The badside to this was just trying to blend in to begin with, getting the car out of my driveway on to the state route before getting rear ended. This is where the "upgrades" come in, 1947 59AB,4 inch Merc crank ,39 Ford transmission, out goes the 4:44 rear and in goes a 3:78 and Columbia from a 39 Ford project along with hydraulic brakes,dual exhaust. Now all should be safe correct? Gets out and keeps up problem is I loose fifty years ,no longer 66 but 16 again. I hate it when someone tries to pass me just because it looks like an old Model T or something to people. I was stopped at a 4 way intersection and when it was my turn to go a soccer mom van went with me and started to go around through the intersection,I got on it and we were side by side untill she gave up. Once I saw one of those ugly smiling or grimacing new orange Camaros coming up on me,I slowed a bit baited him and when he imediately sped up to make his pass I get on it ,really dumb manuever a couple miles later when I had to turn in my drive with him still behind me. Upgrades can be hazardous.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Kahuna

37Coupe,
I love the LOSS of 50 years.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
V12Bill

I put Zephyr brakes on my 39 pickup and dual exhaust and plan to add directional lites. Also changed the ring and pinion from 4:11 to 3:78. I will also add a beeper to the directional lites to let me know when they are on. Radio Shack has audible devises that work on 3v to 20v and hook onto the flasher unit.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Vergil

Guess I don't fit the Purists but I can appreciate their ride as well as I can on one that has a lot of upgrades. I have two AV8's, the one I drive the most is a unchopped full fendered '30 pickup. Upgrades, computer controlled fuel injection and ignition, injection mounted under the intake manifold, fresh air scoops, 276 ci, t5 5 speed, '40 banjo with open drive and late axle upgrade, frame extended 7 1/2" for the behind the axle spring, afr gauge to monitor fuel burn, three point seat belts, third brake light, hydraulic brakes, 15" spokes but rim laced and bias ply but may go radials. Traditional no, fun 100%, fast no, fun 100% but can stay with freeway traffic but you do have a lot of wind noise from the windshield and visor but still fun 100% oh and halogen headlights and a halon fire extinguisher. Sound deadner everywhere with insulation. May not be what anyone but me would want but it is 100% fun for me but still love the period or traditional builds, I'm just easy to please on the old cars I guess.

Vergil
Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
Dale Fairfax

Tell me more about those Radio Shack "amplifiers". I've tried "extra loud" flasher units and I still can't tell when my turn signals are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
I put Zephyr brakes on my 39 pickup and dual exhaust and plan to add directional lites. Also changed the ring and pinion from 4:11 to 3:78. I will also add a beeper to the directional lites to let me know when they are on. Radio Shack has audible devises that work on 3v to 20v and hook onto the flasher unit.
Dale Fairfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
34billct

MAC'S has a turn signal flasher that loud ! part #A13350beepfor 6 volt or A13350/12beep for 12 volt. I use one and it works good.
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
hombres ruin

I don't call it purist for me it's the concept of adaptability It's not the 40s anymore.if we are all to be purists in the hobby then i guess we all will be burning our computers soon
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Vic Piano

Cars are like beautiful women, I'm partial to most of them.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
John Kennedy

A Realist builds his car for himself.
A Purist builds his car for other's approval.

Neither is incorrect.