Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
frank long island

Default real metal

ok started working on a 37 coe cab compaired to todays metal this is like a battle ship i had to use a 3lb sledge to beat the dents in the roof out this has some battle scars but should be a cool looking truck when its done the owner is making it like the tow truck in cars chassis is built m 2 front end 9 inch rear flathead motor unsure of trans i will post pics when i'm further along with the bodywork good thing is the replacement fenders are glass so that saves me some work i have 2 weeks of bodywork in it so far and a gallon of bondo because of the pitting to deep for primer so it all gets skinned lots of hand sanding not many flat panels on this . when this is done i have a 52 f1 to build thankfully no bodywork only putting together that will be after the new year with all that said here's wishing all on the barn a happy holiday season and a healthy new year. p.s i sold my 55 merc wagon so now i'm working on a 65 ranchero project will update progress and photos in the near future
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: real metal

Sorry to hear the wagon is gone Frank, it would have made a perfect family cruiser.
Have a great Christmas,
Don
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
34pickup

Yeah, the thick metal is great.I remember back 40 years ago I welded in a patch panel on my 32 coupe with an arc welder,before mig was common. It worked great. Some of the newer metal on cars now can't even be welded properly because of the alloy they make it out of.
For those pits in the metal, you might want to try a polyester primer like Featherfill.Its sort of like spray on bondo because its a thick filler. It could save you a lot of work. Sands like bondo but goes on like paint.
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
frank long island

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
Yeah, the thick metal is great.I remember back 40 years ago I welded in a patch panel on my 32 coupe with an arc welder,before mig was common. It worked great. Some of the newer metal on cars now can't even be welded properly because of the alloy they make it out of.
For those pits in the metal, you might want to try a polyester primer like Featherfill.Its sort of like spray on bondo because its a thick filler. It could save you a lot of work. Sands like bondo but goes on like paint.
i've used featherfill on corvettes it works nice i may try the polyester putty its like thin plastic and sands easy
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote