Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
klawockvet

Default Better Brakes Pennsylvania Style

I ran across these old pictures I took from a roadster I bought on eBay some years back. A few years ago I purchased this car, described as being "restored to original by the second owner who bought it when he came home from the war". It was sold by his son who described his father as a master mechanic who worked on the space shuttle. At the time I hadn't learned the hard lessons of dealing on eBay. I should be posting this in the humor section as I laugh every time I see this picture. I also included a picture of all the crap that was welded to the frame. It took three days to cut, torch, saw and grind it all off.

When I got the car it was far from what was advertised and I had relied somewhat on the inspection sticker that showed it was done only 50 miles from the current milage. What could possibly be unsafe on a car that passed a Nanny state inspection 50 miles ago? I'm old and have seen a lot of bad engineering but this ranks right at the top.

An explanation is in order in case anyone needs to see how to set this up:
The first step was to place a rusty rod through a hole in the frame and keep in in place by a washer and cotter pin on each side. At the free floating end there is another rod that goes into the master cylinder. This is also kept in place with cotter pins and washers. Next comes the linkage to the original brake pedal. This is held in place by a washer then a bolt that is captured by an extra tie rod clamp. Evidently the original ratio was wrong so there is an extra hole drilled in the brake pedal. Perhaps that was done to lighten the weight of the car for additional speed, similar to the hot rod practice of holes in the axle??? This apparently didn't work too well as a free floating set up so a piece of brass fitting was cut up and screwed onto the end of the bolt mounting the master cylinder to the transmission. The master cylinder mount was cut from a piece of angle iron with a torch and bolted to the trans with two bolts, one was stripped and not holding but it was OK as the floorboard kept it from falling out. The conversion was completed by connecting it all with copper lines. Next there was a slight problem with the lines connecting to the rear wheel cylinders. That was solved by cutting out the holes for the cylinder in the backing plate and moving the cylinders up. The lines must have hooked up and he was probably pretty proud of his work so far. Oops, now the brake lining won't fit. Now the cylinders were lowered back into position and the backing plates turned upside down. Now the copper lines are exposed to the gravel road but who cares about that. The final step was to connect the emergency brake via a cut up cable held in place by a cable clamp. Good thing some states require safety inspections or this could have been even worse.
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: Better Brakes Pennsylvania Style

The original definition of an era 'correct' hot rod was a vehicle built (hamstered together) over a single weekend and unsafe at any speed !
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Your first picture is a good example of where the speedometer clamp DOES NOT bolt to on the frame. It belongs in the hole on the top frame rail, so the cable doesn't hit the muffler and cook.
Words can't begin to describe the rest.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
ursus

Clearly one of the most dangerous I have ever seen. I have to ask: where is the stop light switch or was that regarded as an unnecessary feature? Your pile of bits cut from that jerry-rigged assembly looks like some of the crap that appears on EBay with a glowing description of its ratrod authenticity.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Clearly one of the most dangerous I have ever seen. I have to ask: where is the stop light switch or was that regarded as an unnecessary feature? Your pile of bits cut from that jerry-rigged assembly looks like some of the crap that appears on EBay with a glowing description of its ratrod authenticity.
Looks to me like the spring from the brake pedal hooks to the stop light switch with the toasted wire attached.

I also like the use of the conduit clamp to hold the bolt head up against the flat washer. Pure genius.
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
jfreddie

So, did you redo hyd system or go back mechanical?
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:05 PM   #7
CWPASADENA

I do not think I have ever seen anything quite like this.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 AM   #8
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

So the previous owner restorer / master mechanic guy worked on the Space Shuttle?

That probably explains why two of those money wasting flying boondoggles exploded and were destroyed in flight. Good thing they're all grounded and in museums now.

Also too . . . should anybody desire to register such an old car for the road in Pennsylvania, with antique license plates, non of these junk heaps get a state safety inspection. In PA = Antique Auto Plates = NO STATE INSPECTION.

Don't need no stinkin brakes is Pennsylvania!

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 12-25-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:01 AM   #9
Nathan_1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
So the previous owner restorer / master mechanic guy worked on the Space Shuttle?

That probably explains why two of those money wasting flying boondoggles exploded and were destroyed in flight. Good thing they're all grounded and in museums now.
Wow.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:00 AM   #10
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"So the previous owner restorer / master mechanic guy worked on the Space Shuttle?"

clearly that statement was a load of BS from the seller.......

I personally know ppl who have worked on the shuttle and they were top shelf guys.....

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 12-26-2016 at 10:28 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

QUOTE""So the previous owner restorer / master mechanic guy worked on the Space Shuttle?
That probably explains why two of those money wasting flying boondoggles exploded and were destroyed in flight. Good thing they're all grounded and in museums now. QUOTE"""

What you meant as a joke actually hit a few nerves. We lost some good brave heroes on those two ill fated flights, including a teacher while kids all over the world were watching. The information learned from that program was invaluable for future space flight / exploration. The people that worked on that program were all top notch and the best available. I doubt very much anyone involved in the space program worked on the OP model A. I think there is more of a chance that someone on this board did it as we have our share of arm chair technicians and Hacks.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-26-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
QUOTE""So the previous owner restorer / master mechanic guy worked on the Space Shuttle?
That probably explains why two of those money wasting flying boondoggles exploded and were destroyed in flight. Good thing they're all grounded and in museums now. QUOTE"""

What you meant as a joke actually hit a few nerves. We lost some good brave heroes on those two ill fated flights, including a teacher while kids all over the world were watching. The information learned from that program was invaluable for future space flight / exploration. The people that worked on that program were all top notch and the best available. I doubt very much anyone involved in the space program worked on the OP model A. I think there is more of a chance that someone on this board did it as we have our share of arm chair technicians and Hacks.
Some time people use their keyboard before giving enough thought go their comments. Funny to one person can be very hurtful to others. An unfortunate comment and I am sure, very untruthful. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote