Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #41
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Changed The Weight Of My Oil

Maybe oil additive or gasket material separating out? If a blob of residue with disappearing flakes is dissolved in gasoline, does anything separate and drop to the bottom? If not, probably not metal.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #42
39-Ford

Hi. I have a stock 1939 Ford Tudor. I was running standard non synthetic 10W-30. I had the same issue, as you. I run 20W-50 and my oil pressure is much higher a crusing speed. And idle on a hot engine. My oil pressure would really drop at idle.
39-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #43
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
I'm using detergent oil. Last couple oil changes I slowly emptied the drain pan and examined the residue in bottom of the pan. Seeing bits of sludge and lots of tiny silver flakes. This is scaring me!

This 51,000 mile original engine runs strong and sounds fine. Only driven 400-500 miles between oil changes. Can't believe what I am seeing is normal wear in that short time. Thinking it is old sludge and bearing wear being released into the detergent oil. Previous owners probably used non-detergent oil. I'm worried releasing that old stuff could cause a blockage/damage. What do you all think?
Look, I'm no expert, but the one rule (urban myth?) is NOT to change to detergent oil in a vehicle that has run non detergent. It will start to loosen the sludge and release it to recirculate it around the engine.

I just came in from the garage after taking the pan off an unknown engine. The sludge in then bottom of the pan was 1" thick in places. The oil pickup was 95% blocked.

I'm glad I pulled the pan and was shocked when I saw what was inside.

From that experience I can't help thinking the unwritten rule is probably correct.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote