Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
BrettL

Default 1955 Ford Fairlane Automatic Question.

I've got a 55 Fairlane with a 700r4 auto transmission. I ran into an issue a while back where when trying to start the car I have to push the shifter up past park and hold it. I was able to fix it then by shifting down to drive and then pushing it back into park. Now the issue is back and I can't get the car to turn over. Has anyone run into this issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 246072689_4510169925767059_4438188763716508169_n.jpg (74.5 KB, 13 views)
BrettL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: 1955 Ford Fairlane Automatic Question.

It sounds like the ignition interlock needs to be adjusted.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Find the Neutral Safety Switch and see if you can adjust its position in relation to the shift linkage movement.

There may also be worn bushings in parts of the original '55 shift linkage.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
craig

Since a 700R4 doesn't have an integral nss, do as dmsfrr mentioned. If you still have the '55 steering column, then it probably has the original nss still in use.
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
Gene F

I did not know a 700R4 would fit i the 55 ford.
Gene F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Find the Neutral Safety Switch and see if you can adjust its position in relation to the shift linkage movement. There may also be worn bushings in parts of the original '55 shift linkage.
Exactly. And if nothing happens now when you turn the key in the ignition, the neutral safety switch may now be burned out. Attempting to operate the starter using a mis-aligned neutral safety switch will greatly affect the life of the switch contacts. It is essential to get the switch adjusted so that the contacts seat dead on when the gear shift lever is in neutral.
First, check the rubber grommet in the lever that operates the shift link to the transmission. If that grommet has been softened by oil or if it is damaged it needs to be replaced immediately so that a proper adjustment can be made of the neutral safety switch.
Another similar problem can be at the bottom of the gear shift link where it goes into the transmission shift lever. If that pin that goes through the hole is worn real bad, or if the hole in the shift lever has been elongated, there will be a lot of slop in the link which can effect proper position of the neutral safety switch. All those things can be repaired with some patience and a few new parts.
Again, the quality of the chinese made repro neutral safe3ty switches is very substandard. They look good on the outside, but the materials, ampere ratings of the contacts and method of assembly of contacts to arm falls far short of original equipment. These units absolutely must be adjusted properly in order to get maximum life out of them and even so, they can be expected to fail in a year or so if the car is driven daily, that's with a solid proper adjustment.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote