Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default Flat Rate Shipping WIGGLE FACTOR !!!

100_1724.jpg100_1724.jpg

Flat rate U S Postal is the way to go / NOWEVER /
As these pictures show it is very important that the content be packed very tight with out any movement of parts inside the box.
In the case of shipping heavy parts such as SHOCKS DO NOT use those Styrofoam peanuts They bust up into little Styrofoam flakes and don't accomplish any thing.
I learned early on that the contents must be packed tight I use News paper crumpled up and packed in as tight as possable ( with in reason ).
I take the box, close up the cover and shake the box if there is any movement pack in more paper till there is no movement.
I then run 3 rows of clear tape in each direction.
Doing it this way Has worked quite well for Us.
In the Medium Box I Can ship 4 shocks w/arms,links & mounting Hardware by doing it this way.
Not a bad deal for under $13.00 Which now includes a tracking # at no aditional cost.
The problem is that the shipping cost are the same if I ship 1 shock or 4 shocks.
These flate rate boxes work for International shipping also.
Although the rate changes and there are weight restrictions depending where in the world it is going it is still a rate that can't be beat.
When going International there is some paper work to fill out but it's not that bad.

Last edited by BILL WZOREK; 07-29-2015 at 10:03 AM.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
34 GAZ

Default Re: Flat Rate Shipping WIGGLE FACTOR !!!

Those boxes are lousy for International postage unless they are completely reinforced with extra cardboard on the inside and completely wrapped in clear tape. Over here the supermarkets let customers take the empty boxes which are way stronger than PostOffice boxes. As you say International paperwork is easy.
34 GAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 GAZ View Post
Those boxes are lousy for International postage unless they are completely reinforced with extra cardboard on the inside and completely wrapped in clear tape. Over here the supermarkets let customers take the empty boxes which are way stronger than PostOffice boxes. As you say International paperwork is easy.
You Make a good Point.
The box inside a box works good / and makes sure your goods reach there intended adress.

I may be wrong but I think that they must use mechanical meens to sort the Boxes. so they have to be constructed strong.

It is still a great deal And with a little work on your part you can save some $$$$$

BILL W
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
barnstuf

When I ship a real heavy Flat Rate box thru the postal system my post office has Heavy Weight stickers that they apply to the box. I have never had one arrive damaged and I tape them well.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
brien

Pack well and reinforce the sides, top, and bottom of the container. I have taken delivery of camshafts without damage. Also pistons and connecting rods. All via USPS and all arrived in good shape.
brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Mark Slight

Ditto, since 2004 I've never had a problem with anything I ship via USPS Flat Rate Boxes. I do use extra cardboard inside if neecessary, using a little horse sense in packing helps on the shippers part. Lots of tape if needed, being considerate of your buyer who is footing the bill.

Mark
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
deuce lover

I managed to get 44 lbs in a large flat rate box once.I put a box in a box for double thickness.They were quickchange gears.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
I managed to get 44 lbs in a large flat rate box once.I put a box in a box for double thickness.They were quickchange gears.
+1. This is trick. Double walled and tape all sides. top & bottom.

Use the USPO flat rate a lot and have never had an issues.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
robert dick

for reasonably close customers i use a Mailing Box--similar to your priority box but much cheaper, and if the customer is fairly close -200-250 miles-the time difference is nill. most P.O.'s don't carry them though , you have to order them -no charge-
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
jim1932

Bill, they are adding a scan sticker to them now, so I guess they re machine sorted. It was a happy day when I sent you my shocks flat rate and got a little back for all the lighter stuff I had sent for crazy postage.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert dick View Post
for reasonably close customers i use a Mailing Box--similar to your priority box but much cheaper, and if the customer is fairly close -200-250 miles-the time difference is nill. most P.O.'s don't carry them though , you have to order them -no charge-
Hhmmm, can you explain the difference? I'm interested in this option.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
FL&WVMIKE

BILL .................
I think that the Priority is faster too. I sent some parts to Hawaii, from Florida, and the guy received them on day 3.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
robert dick

Hi Tim
they both look alike, for some reason the mailing box ships at a much lower rate--to order you need to go on the post office web site , and under boxes they list them , they will send 10 free.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
bobH

Priority... I need to chuckle a little. I sent a Priority from Socal to Reno-area, little over a week ago. Package didn't show up within a reasonable time. So, we (sender, and receiver) did a 'tracking' check on it. Found out that it went to Mass. It eventually showed up at Reno, a week later. At least they didn't loose it.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

I have shipped many things in those USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes and never had a problem. I use reinforced tape, not the clear stuff, on the real heavy packages. This tape has little strands running parallel through the tape. It does cost more than the unreinforced clear type tape. I have also had some of these boxes slightly bulging (but still well packaged) when I took them to the PO and they have never complained about that...yet

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert dick View Post
Hi Tim
they both look alike, for some reason the mailing box ships at a much lower rate--to order you need to go on the post office web site , and under boxes they list them , they will send 10 free.
Hi Robert:

Wow, excellent. Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Tim
Old 07-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #17
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Attachment 118782Attachment 118782

Flat rate U S Postal is the way to go / NOWEVER /
As these pictures show it is very important that the content be packed very tight with out any movement of parts inside the box.
In the case of shipping heavy parts such as SHOCKS DO NOT use those Styrofoam peanuts They bust up into little Styrofoam flakes and don't accomplish any thing.
I learned early on that the contents must be packed tight I use News paper crumpled up and packed in as tight as possable ( with in reason ).
I take the box, close up the cover and shake the box if there is any movement pack in more paper till there is no movement.
I then run 3 rows of clear tape in each direction.
Doing it this way Has worked quite well for Us.
In the Medium Box I Can ship 4 shocks w/arms,links & mounting Hardware by doing it this way.
Not a bad deal for under $13.00 Which now includes a tracking # at no aditional cost.
The problem is that the shipping cost are the same if I ship 1 shock or 4 shocks.
These flate rate boxes work for International shipping also.
Although the rate changes and there are weight restrictions depending where in the world it is going it is still a rate that can't be beat.
When going International there is some paper work to fill out but it's not that bad.
Thought it time to Re post this again !!!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
35fordtn

If you print your own labels online you will save 20%, also the USPS Regional Box A flat rate is a deal especially if shipping only 2 shocks. It is only available online. I use FedEx a lot because their dimensional weight system is great for small packages that are too heavy for the flimsy USPS box..
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #19
V8 Bob

The weight of the item really determines the cost savings of using flat rate boxes. I have saved (the buyer) several dollars using my own boxes vs flat rate on lighter items, like water pumps, starter plates, carbs etc. Best to figure the rates on line before shipping.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #20
35fordtn

Agreed, and the keywords there is online.. You save big by printing your own labels with Fedex.com or stamps.com.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote