Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #21
mass A man

Default Re: Radios

A friend has an old Crosley auto radio(1931) that has ALL the electronics in the steering wheel clamp-on box! It's remote wired speaker box, he just placed down ahead of the shifter tower. The radio works with his temporary antenna but it's there for looks and laughs. We can't hear a darned thing while driving his slant sedan. We know the work involved with the static suppression in an A. He wants to keep things original to a point. It really is a unique looking auto radio I never knew existed. He collects old radios for 50 years at least and fixes them also.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:21 PM   #22
Model A Ron

I thought a radio before I had the bugs worked out of my car but since I got them worked out and started putting miles on the thought has slipped away. I tend to listen to the engine and driving an A requires more concentration than a modern car. It's not driving it is hard as it's not but one needs to drive much more defensive and be more aware of traffic and stopping distance.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:37 AM   #23
GeneBob

After sound deadening my Tudor, I put a bluetooth speaker above the mirror to use with my phone. It is nice to have some level of music on the drive to and from work. Believe me, even with sound deadening, you still hear the car unless you are sitting at a traffic light. BTW, without sound deadening, you wouldn't hear anything from a speaker above 20 mph. Adding more watts of sound power to hear a radio above the stock Model A would definitely damage your hearing.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #24
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I can't explain for all of the different types on how they function other than they have a housing with two sets of fields and brush sets on both ends. The armature has commutators on both ends. The low voltage side turns the armature as a motor and the high voltage side generates the output voltage. The output voltage is likely multiplied from the input voltage in the way that the field coils are designed. The amperage output is likely not that high on these units even though they can have 400 to 500 volts generated. The input and output is always listed on the unit's data plate. This is a good link about them.
https://www.instructables.com/revivi...dios-went-mob/

This is a neat old catalog on Carter stuff:
https://www.abaa.org/book/844540590

Here is another link to a Carter model:
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-736602410...e/n71/mode/1up
The name Amplidyne comes to mind.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #25
katy

I once had a radio from a 1936 Ford, there was a box that attached to the firewall that connected to remote head which I believe mounted in the dash. The connection consisted of a wiring harness and a speedometer type cable housing.
Dunno what ever happened to it, kinda wish I still had it, but one can't keep everything.

Last edited by katy; 05-23-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Typo
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #26
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
The name Amplidyne comes to mind.
An amplidyne is an electromechanical amplifier invented prior to World War II by Ernst Alexanderson. It consists of an electric motor driving a DC generator. The signal to be amplified is applied to the generator's field winding, and its output voltage is an amplified copy of the field current. The amplidyne was used in industry in high power servo and control systems, to amplify low power control signals to control powerful electric motors, for example. It is now mostly obsolete.

We used them in the Boeing vibration lab to drive 3 ft diameter shaker pots at very low frequencies.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote