Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
ericr

Exclamation Verification of Substitute Ignition Switch

I believe parts catalogs have stated that the substitute ignition switch (the one with no armored cable, just a thin wire) was carried by Ford dealers after the
Model "A" era. Maybe Electrolock shut down during the Depression, who knows.

What Model "A" parts were obtainable through dealers in later years is intriguing. But does anyone have any proof that the replacement was actually a dealer item at one time? It looks more like a Western Auto item to me.

In this regard, what kind of theft deterrent did the '32 V-8s come with? Surely those models were very attractive to car thieves. Hard to believe anti-theft technology eliminated the armored cable on a highly popular car.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Verification of Substitute Ignition Switch

This was a FORD item. I have several and one that is still in the original Ford box.

When I was first messing with Model A's back in the 50's, often the car would have a Ford replacement ignition switch. These used the same key blanks as the originals so your door lock could be re-keyed to be the same as the ignition.

They are far superior to most of the currently available replacement ignition switches.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
katy

Did the 32's have a steering column lock? If not, what year did it start? I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) that 34's had them.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
Bob C

Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ign-cable.jpg (66.4 KB, 98 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
Don S

I am using one that looks just like yours,does it have any markings on the connection to the distributors ?
Thanks Don
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Here you go.
wow, case closed, I am glad I didn't have a bet riding on this LOL ten lashes with an Electrolock armored cable for me!
Old 10-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
wow, case closed, I am glad I didn't have a bet riding on this LOL ten lashes with an Electrolock armored cable for me!
That is probably a tad misleading since that cable was a Service Replacement item only, -which was last shown as revised in March of 1944. Without going thru the engineering information on it, I suspect it was initially designed in the late 1930s/early 1940s for usage on industrial power units that came sans a magneto (hay balers, combines, water pumps, cement mixers, compressors, etc.), and was never intended for use nor retrofit in 1928passenger car applications.

And to answer your other question about the 1932 Model-B and Model 18, they used a locking steering column. The key turned a tumbler to un-pin the column shaft, and the ignition was controlled by a sliding lever switch located above the column mast. When the key was locked, it kept the sliding switch from being moved away from the off position.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
And to answer your other question about the 1932 Model-B and Model 18, they used a locking steering column. The key turned a tumbler to un-pin the column shaft, and the ignition was controlled by a sliding lever switch located above the column mast. When the key was locked, it kept the sliding switch from being moved away from the off position.
Thanks for the info

I had a '32 B coupe way back when, but disremembered about the ignition switch/lock.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
That is probably a tad misleading since that cable was a Service Replacement item only, -which was last shown as revised in March of 1944. Without going thru the engineering information on it, I suspect it was initially designed in the late 1930s/early 1940s for usage on industrial power units that came sans a magneto (hay balers, combines, water pumps, cement mixers, compressors, etc.), and was never intended for use nor retrofit in 1928passenger car applications.

-do you mean I have been vindicated, slightly?