Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
hazelhoff

Default Wiring issue

Hi Guys, just finished installing a new wiring harness from Brattons. No cowl, one bulb, integrated turn lights, two tail lamps.

Amazing thing being the headlights won't light up. Instead the front turn signals light up both of them, not intermitting.

Is it the wiring in the light switch ? Do I have the bottom on the steering column upside down ? My notch is up. Should it be down ?
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Wiring issue

Yes, it should be down.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
hazelhoff

So the wires coming out of the switch go 45 degrees up ? Instead of down ?

Thx for the help !

Henk
Old 10-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Jim/GA

I would say the wires come out of the switch pointed more or less forward, toward the radiator.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
hazelhoff

Ok, have to change the position of te bottom steering column then ... Having the slide for the switch notch down.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
hazelhoff

Changing the position of the light switch was easy. However, it does not change the problem. No headlights. Instead of that the front urn signals are on operating he light switch.
Any idea ?
Old 10-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
Bill G

The little tips in the connectors that go on the back of the headlight bucket are sometimes a little too wide in diameter and short out against adjoining tips in the socket in the bucket. you might check that.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

A very long shot but I'll throw it out there. Sometimes when you have a bad ground the electrons take the shortest path back to the battery. When this happens, very strange things can happen to your lights. Easy to check you headlight grounds to eliminate that possibility...

But my gut feeling is something is connected incorrectly since you have problems with two separate circuits. Where are you getting power for your turn signals from?

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-07-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
The little tips in the connectors that go on the back of the headlight bucket are sometimes a little too wide in diameter and short out against adjoining tips in the socket in the bucket. you might check that.

I had headlight issues, sockets replaced years ago with repops. Blowing Bulbs, blown fuses on top of the starter, not working. Worked ok till recently after going into the headlight buckets for a different reason.

Ended up all look OK and meter out with the bulbs removed, soon as bulbs put back in issue returned.

Finally got disgusted and cutout small pieces of inner tube to put between the socket pins/contacts both in the socket, and on the back of the sockets, issue resolved.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #10
Ed Wendell

When I installed the wiring harness with the turn signal wiring added I had problems getting the switch end seated properly. The extra wires and connections make it bulky and hard to seat. I had no headlights until I worked with it. And I concure with the comment on a possible bad ground for your turn signal issue.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
hazelhoff

The turn signals are on both of them at the same time. I can't figure out where the power for them originates. But if they are on they must have ground in't it ?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
hazelhoff

Took the switch out and reinstalled. Now I lost my tailights. Strange enough the turnsignals are just fine now !
Old 10-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
hazelhoff

Next step. When I assemble the switch correctly, i have no headlights. Turning the steering wheel switch to the left means the turn signal front both burn. Turn signals working ok otherwise. Note this is the harness with integrated turn signals.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #14
Badpuppy

Best call Bratton and describe the situation. You may have a short in the turn signal switch causing both front bulbs to burn. The other problems you describe seem to point to the lighting switch.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:21 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhoff View Post
Next step. When I assemble the switch correctly, i have no headlights. Turning the steering wheel switch to the left means the turn signal front both burn. Turn signals working ok otherwise. Note this is the harness with integrated turn signals.
This is why I always recommend people wanting to install turn signals should do it as a stand alone system, completely separate from the factory harness. It make troubleshooting so much easier.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #16
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhoff View Post

You have the potential for voltage to cross-feed all over the place here. To eliminate that, remove all of the bulbs and try to get sockets or wires at each point on the car to be exposed to where you can touch them with a voltmeter or test light. Then you can start figuring out which wires have power when the headlight switch is turned to various positions, when you apply the brakes, when you turn on a turn signal...

If you can, disconnect the turn signal half of the harness and troubleshoot the "original part" first. Get it working right then add the turn signals back in. Because brake lights go through the turn signal system, you cannot test that as part of the original system; the rest you can.

Which Bratton's part number are you using? Did a wiring diagram come with this harness, to show you how to install the turn signal part of the harness? Can you photograph that and post it here?

It is possible that you have run some of the wires to the wrong place on the car, so the lights do not do what you expect.

Where are your turn signal lights? Are you combining that light socket with parking lights? Or do you have separate turn and park sockets?

Break it down to pieces that you can test and you will make it all work.

Last edited by Jim/TX/GA; 10-09-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #17
hazelhoff

Thanks to all of you !

Problems solved !!!

1. Turn signals keeping burning constantly. Solved ! Brattons 1 bulb wiring harness did contain the park light wires. Somehow they were feeding the front turn signals ???? Simply disconnected them.

2. Headlights not burning. Solved ! All of you were right. First problem was the sockets. There should be a little bulb in the wal of the upper socket which sticks out of the headlight shell. Mine had NONE ! So the little wire holders had no direction. Thus not making contact other than 'by coinsidence ...
Second problem was ground of course. Surely putting rubber pads on the headlight bar ends didn't help preventing this.

Once more: thank you for all the help ! PS Brattons still hasn't replied my yesterday's email. That's a smart way of getting rid of service tickets !! Have customers solve their own problems first. Luckily - being the community we are - we DO !!!
Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Perhaps Brattons has not gotten to your request yet, there is the time difference to consider. I've contacted them once, took a day or 2, they did email me back.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #19
Ernie Vitucci

I would suggest that you contact Brattons the old fashioned way and give them a call and they will put someone on the line to help you. One conversation is normally worth ten e-mails and a chance to build a relationship with a valued supplier. Just my way, Ernie in Arizona.
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #20
hazelhoff

Dear Ernie,

Since I live in The Netherlands, there is a time difference. Besides that I have hearing aids, not very helpfull on the phone. Besides, my English is not native. That's why I prefer writing.