Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
TJ97tim

Default Millennials decided on an "A"

Hello All,

New to the forum. New to A's. New to Vintage cars in general.

My wife and I were sitting down and coming up with what we would like to have/do/experience next. We have done the motorcycling thing, we have been blessed with good jobs and a DIY attitude (Large home renovation almost complete, except it is never complete). We don't have any kids yet, but will be starting that in the next few years. At this point in time, we are ready to fill an empty spot in the garage. We explored a lot of different things; mustangs, T-bird, corvettes, muscle car, British, Italian or something that runs, etc. We have come up to the conclusion of an A. We are millennials, the wisdom from Old Timers in this hobby is going to be our best help. I have a second cousin with one, but I think it is just something that sits in his barn that was a hand-me-down.

Questions:

Body Styles? We want to be able to take it for family drives. Do some long drives, weekend vacations, extended touring. We will run it a lot, probably 3 times a week to work either my wife or myself.

Years? What range is best?

6v ok or 12v a must? I know on Ford 8ns the 12v is a must for ignition.

Any club members in the Pittsburgh, PA area? I would love to stop by and get educated.

We are happy to get into this hobby and we are grateful for all the help.

Thanks to the forum,

Tim
TJ97tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
BillEbob

Default Re: Millennials decided on an "A"

Welcome! You WILL get an education here!

So, you thought that home renovation was expensive, right? Welcome to the world of spending lots of $ on the toy you will learn to love!

Everyone (rightfully) will tell you to look up the Model A club closest to you. "We" members LOVE to show off our cars to potential newbies to the hobby. That is where I learned that the coupe I had been considering would never work for my frame (I'm too big to comfortably fit in a coupe. )

Ask ALL the questions you can think of, someone or MANY "someone's" will HAPPILY give you their opinions! (Just don't ask about 'oil!" NO TWO PEOPLE SEEM TO AGREE!!! Lol!)

Again, WELCOME

Bill
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
aermotor

To me, a 28 -31 Tudor as close to original as possible and 6 volt can't be beaten, cost, parts availability, simplicity and the use you want it for to name a few reasons.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
slammin

Welcome to the Barn and the wonderful world of Model As! Check out http://www.mafca.com/ to find a local club. Read everything you can get your hands on as well as this website and several others that cover early Fords. For a family car, a Tudor will be your best bet. The Fordors are roomier, but you will learn that they have a lot of wood structure in the bodies and are expensive to repair. Have fun with your search!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
JayGriff

Welcome! I'm also new to the barn and to my new (to me) 30 coupe. I too endorse getting plugged in with your local club. Without them I would probably not even have my A started up yet. Prepare for a crash course in Model A mechanics. After only a few short months I can now rebuild a carb, set timing, replace a starter switch, install alternator, adjust brakes, troubleshoot headlight circuit short, etc., not to mention double clutch and downshift without so much as a whisper from the gear box! My car is a 12V conversion, and you will find opinions across the board about that.

If you intend to tour with more than 1 or 2 passengers, or if you are of large stature, a coupe or pick up is not for you, even if it has a rumble seat (which is very cool but a safety issue for me).

Good luck on your "A"dventure!
JayGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
heneste

Station wagons are good for multiple passengers but the downside to them can be if you don't have the side curtains, you do have more weather exposure than a closed car. Much the same as the coupe or pickup was mentioned, the front seat doesn't adjust so you do have limited driving room. They're still a blast to drive though!
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
mhsprecher

Fordor or Town Sedan. Very practical and comfortable. The 31 slant window has less wood in the body construction, a plus.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

TJ,

Welcome to the Barn. You said you have a cousin that has an A. My advice is to drive it if it is running. My wife's first reaction when we bought our stock Roadster was it doesn't have enough power and it doesn't go fast enough to keep up with traffic. I recently bought a bunch of good parts for my project car from two guys who decided to strip their roadsters and put V-8 engines.

Most of the Barners have touring engines and other modifications so they can drive faster. Most millinials don't like to go slow so you should be aware you may not like it after the newness wears off.

If it doesn't run you may want to join a Model A club and see if you and your cousin can work on it and get it started. You'll learn a lot from the club members and from working on the car so you'll know what to look for when you buy one.

You should also read as much as you can. Some of the clubs also have seminars and tech sessions where you can learn a lot.

Good luck,

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
jwilliams81

Tim,

Welcome!
I am 36 year old DINK (Dual Income No Kids) and have had my 31' Town Sedan for a year. Last year I drove my car everywhere I could, including to work everyday. I put 5,000 miles on her in my first year of ownership. Over the winter I torn in the brakes, engine, and transmission fixing everything I had made note of all year. While not needed to keep her going the same, I knew some things could be better. I can not recommend an A enough. The initial price of the car is less than most hobby cars. The price of parts is significantly less. The knowledge need to work on the cars is less, no computers. And the overall "simplicity" of the car is staggering. It is truly amazing to see how well engineered the cars are and to see what Henry did almost 100 years ago.

If and when you buy a car, keep it 6V.

My wife and I have really enjoyed taking the car to car shows, participating in a local 1940's day, and most of all joining our local Model A club.
I can not stress how important it is to join your local club, even before you buy a car.

I would recommend joining both national clubs, MAFCA and MARC. There is a wealth of information to be found on both coasts. Nothing against MAFCA, I am a member of them as well, but since you are on the east coast I would start by joining MARC.

Here is the list of local MARC clubs:
http://model-a-ford.org/regions/region-list/

Join the MARC Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARCFordGroup/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170812_145140.jpg (34.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Helen together.jpg (68.5 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg exterior1.jpg (68.6 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by jwilliams81; 03-29-2018 at 03:46 PM.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Welcome Tim,

Glad you caught the addiction. I will give you my opinion on your questions:

Years: How big are you? The 28/9 seem to be a little smaller than the 30/1's. Other than that it is preference.

6v/12v: Opinion here, the system was designed for 6v and works just fine that way. However, if you want to drive at night then 12v will give you brighter headlights and a faster starter but that generally is about it. Oh yeah, batteries are easier to get.

Body style? I agree with the other suggestions about a sedan. Like it was said the 28-early 30 fordors have a wood body, clad in steel. If the wood has been redone already go for it. If is bad then that can get REALLY expensive.

Grab some books, get into a local club (search the MAFCA or MARC websites) and have fun buying it and the tools. Then just enjoy the smiles and fun.

Mike
Old 03-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
antiquepa

Welcome to the Barn, lots of questions, lots of answers..join a club, every model A is different, i have a roadster and a 4 door..like im both. we love going in the model A. The only problem is if you got more then one..which one to take. what ever you buy, im sure you will enjoy..drive them and have fun. Again..WELCOME TO THE BARN..!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
SSsssteamer

I have owned most of all of the model A Ford body styles an my first choice is the Tudor. The model A Tudor I have found is the easiest for me to get in and out of, good for all weather enjoyment, it is easy to load, it has the room for company, it handles well in modern traffic, and it is the most enjoyable to drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018 Valentine's Day Tour snow small file.jpg (76.1 KB, 130 views)
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
30ccpickup

Body Styles http://www.gwcmodela.com/bodyphotos.asp

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
flatford39

31 slant window would be my pic. They have very little wood and are pretty comfortable cars to drive in with plenty of room for suitcases and or kids. You are going to want one with a Mitchell overdrive to make touring enjoyable on the highway.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
Synchro909

Advice here from the other side of the world might seem strange at first glance but the international part of owning one (or more) of these cars and the contacts/friends you make is not to be forgotten.
If it gets cold where you are, I agree with the recommendations for a closed car, a Tudor or Fordor would be my suggestion too. You said that you intend starting a family soon and I assume you intend bringing the "younguns" along with you. When they are still babies, you will have to reach into the back of a Tudor to get to them which might be a hassle but a 4 door car will make that easier. As has been said above though, there is plenty of wood in them though. Once the kids are a little older, a Tudor is a better idea because they won't be able to open a door at the wrong moment and fall onto the road. I think I'd put up with a couple of years reaching into the back of the car for even more years of peace of mind. Check out the various bodies at your local club and talk to owners, even go for a ride.
I second those who suggest a Tudor.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
Jim M

I would suggest at least looking at a roadster with a rumble seat. Plenty of room for a young couple in the front and a lot of fun to haul friends in the rumble seat. No matter where I go with mine there is soon a crowd gathered round looking at it and the top is ALWAYS (except when we get the occasional unexpected black cloud that come over) down and you get to see all the scenery. Guess we are all prejudiced for our cars but I would not trade my roadster for anything. And even if you are not really mechanically inclined they are still fun to work on and you can find EVERY answer to any question here on the forum. Good luck and you really can't make a wrong decision.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #17
mhsprecher

If you are like many of us, you will end up with more than one. I bought my TS first and than a roadster came along and I had to have it. I love them both.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #18
JDupuis

Welcome to the Barn. Jeff
Old 03-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #19
daveymc29

I haven't read all the posts so maybe I am repeating some. You can join the Model A Ford Club of America (mafca) free, as you have never been a member. Just go to mafca.com and I'm sure there will be instructions or search for Jim Cannon's post on this site for a link. I live in Danville, CA and belong to both mafca and mark. I have lot's of knowledge gleaned from the magazines that they put out and from fellow members. This site is wonderfull. Not all of us have every answer and on some subjects you will find you set off a firestorm by asking a simple question. Don't be put off by that, at some point we learn whom to listen to and when to say thanks and walk away. Welcome to our family of friends. Personally, I like the 6V, positive ground system, though I do use an alternator. Also, if your machine has the original two bladed fan I'd pull it off and buy an aluminum one from Snyder's, Bert's of Bratton's. Keep it in case you decide to make a high point car but that is about all they are good for. Oh, they will help you in deciding if you need to work on the radiator or replace the hood. Don't bother to ask how so many of us know this. Again Welcome. If you ever come to CA look up Henry's A's. We'll make you an officer in a heart beat.

Dave Mc Arthur
http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows Click on it.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #20
michael a

Oh hell yes jump in and get your feet wet

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote