Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
cadillacoffin

Default Setting valves

Anyone have new seats that could measure how far it is from the top of the valve to the deck?

I'm concerned my valves are to deep and have already had my block at the machine shop for over a year to put in new seats. When I got it back all he did was cut the stems.
cadillacoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Setting valves

So it sounds as though he did not replace the seats. As long as he did a clean job on the seats and properly set the lash, I would not be concerned. Why don't you post a photo so we can see what he did. Better to have the valves too low than too high. Is this a simple rebuild for a street car?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
jake197000

its important that the valve contact the seat in the right area.when the seats get too deep they contact the valves at the out side edge which can cause short life.ive also had to take new seats and machine them down a bit as they are too thick and stick up above the deck.you can take some prussian blue and ck the contact patch.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
cadillacoffin

I took a machining clas at a local college where I did everything except press new seats. Teach thought they looked good enough to run so what the hell. Later when I was assembling everything I couldn't set lash as there was no clearance. New proflo Chevy 1.5 valves and adjustable lifters from H&H along with one of mikes re grinds.

So I bought new seats and took my block to a machinist. After 8 months he said I ought to take it so where else. So I take it to a new guy an hour and a half away, this took two tries as he stood me up the first time. So the new guy was blown away that the last guy jerked me around for 8 months over new valve seats, and promised it would be done in 30 days. So I called 30 days later then 60 days and again at 90 days and this time he got a little pissy with me and said that he would let me know when it was done. After 7 months I called only to find out "it had been done for a while". So the dude was heading my way that weekend and was willing to drop it off. When he did so I found out all he had done was cut the stems.

So I was pissed but just glad to have my block back after 15 months. Last weekend I began assembling the motor once again only to find out that though I had clearance this time, the adjusters were in the bottom turn or so where it's free running instead of in the interfering threads.

My valves stand about .040" above the deck and I was lucky to find someone willing to measure their motors. One stock and the other a hot rod motor with new seats. Both stand around .075" above the deck. The adjusters grow .010" ever 1/4 turn so another 3/4 turn should put me in the interferring threads.

This motor was an old hot rod motor with adjustables in it to begin with. The lifter bores had not been relieved previously so I just assumed they didn't need it. And ever time I've tried to set lash I must have been standing on the same side of the motor because one bank of lifters sit much lower than the other side.

Do you have to relieve the bores?
cadillacoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Ross F-1

I took my block in to have seats installed, and it was done in 3 days. Keep trying....