Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Water in Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
FWIW: cow peeing on a flat rock.

!
I use that all time in describing the rain down here.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #22
H. L. Chauvin

In thinking of the shared subject of water in Model A gas tanks, just had to add a descriptive saying I almost forgot until last week.

With all of our local residential flooding last week, our leaders announced today in our local paper that our last week's rain storm dumped a whopping 17 inches of rain in just 17 hours.

The first night last week, with constant lightning & earth shaking thunder, from 1 a.m. until 6 a.m., I stayed up & watched it pour & pour in sheets for 5 hours without stopping.

Thought about Mike V.'s reply #22, where we always hear about the large cow & the flat rock; but, in a few minutes, when we looked out, & could no longer see the grass our entire yard with our new lake, somehow it reminded me of my grandfather's vintage saying.

Being born in 1867, & owning race horses, my father said he always described heavy rain with a different twist ...... like:

"It is raining like a racehorse peeing in a boot."

Just nothing like being able to truly portray exact weather conditions.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
BlueSunoco

After seeing that gas station under water on the noon news, in Nebraska from the torrential rains they got Tuesday, got me to thinking about this. Gotta be careful, but sometimes you just don't know what you are pumping into your tank.

At least a Model A is easy to drain out. Still a nuisance. I'm like Tom, top that tank off for long term storage. Lucky enough around here to still have a couple of gas stations with actual gasoline, not the ethanol junk.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #24
montanafordman

I used to work at the local airport in my hometown pumping fuel for all the general aviation airplanes and business jets that came in. Its incredible how many quality control measures that are present in aviation fuel. Whenever fuel was delivered to our fuel farm first we drained the fuel farm holding tanks sump, then the tanker sump was drained and the fuel was filtered from the truck into our holding tanks. Every time we fueled one of our trucks from our fuel farm we drained the sump at the farm before hooking up the truck and the fuel was filtered before it was pumped into the truck. After all of this we drained the sump on our trucks DAILY - The truck also filtered the fuel being pumped into the aircraft. Airplanes also have a fuel sump that is drained as part of a normal preflight action. When dealing with 15,000gallon holding tanks you would find some particulate and moisture in the sump but by the time it got into the truck, and with daily measures taken that fuel was CLEAN. There were other periodic checks evaluating filters for efficiency and bacteria.

Now get this.... NONE of those measures are present in automotive gasoline or at least to my knowledge not required by law. It really gave me perspective in the kind of crap that we pump into our cars. My first flight instructor also agreed since he had worked at an automotive gas station and he said their tanker hookups were at ground level and whenever it was opened up they could get gravel and all kinds of crap falling in if you were careless.

Of course if you get bad fuel in your car you pull to the side of the road and call/pay some people or work on the problem yourself and eventually go on your way again. With airplanes contaminated fuel issues would be much more complicated.

Last edited by montanafordman; 06-04-2014 at 05:37 PM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #25
H. L. Chauvin

Maybe with these upcoming fuel regulations & proposals described as noted below on youtube, one may see more water absorbed in the increased ethanol percentage that may be required to be provided in our Model A fuel tanks -- not to mention possible warranty concerns for our everyday modern car transportation.

Interesting subject & a cause for concern.

www.youtube.com/embed/ceW9Nc1hVHU?feature=player_detailpage
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #26
Growley bear

A chamois will filter water from gas. Also I have noticed on my Model A that when filling the gas tank during a rain that water has a tendency to run down the sun visor right into the filler opening along with the gas from the pump nozzle. Is that a design defect that may be covered by an extended warranty?

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 AM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growley bear View Post
A chamois will filter water from gas. Also I have noticed on my Model A that when filling the gas tank during a rain that water has a tendency to run down the sun visor right into the filler opening along with the gas from the pump nozzle. Is that a design defect that may be covered by an extended warranty?

Chet
Only if you buy the optional sun visor rain gutter.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Too bad you don't live in Canada. We would just leave it out on a sub zero night, let the water rise to the top and freeze. In the morning we reach in, pull out the ice cubes and the problem is solved ! Pretty simple, eh !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #29
Growley bear

Tom, that's a good idea; do you know where I can get one?
Why didn't I think of that?
Chet

Last edited by Growley bear; 06-05-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add text
Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growley bear View Post
Tom, that's a good idea; do you know where I can get one?
Why didn't I think of that?
Chet
Don't know, but I wish my 1999 Olds had rain gutters, so I could use my car top carriers. It also might help me solve the problem of water under the driver's carpet.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #31
Growley bear

Tom,thanks for the humor, except for the Olds water leak. A great way to start the Model A day.

Chet

Last edited by Growley bear; 06-05-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: ad text