Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
flatheadfan

Default Re: pressure plate bolt size?

I think both you and Bruce are right about the size, I measured an original Ford bolt and came up with a measurement of 0.780". That is the shaft length not the shaft and cap length. The Ford book I have shows 25/64" or 0.390". I belive the 0.390" is only the threaded portion of the shaft. The balance is the shoulder length below the cap.

Hopefully this makes sense!

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #22
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

On the need for shoulder...these bolts have to locate the PP as well as clamp it on, hence the need so that the bolts can also function as dowels to get the thing in the right place. Obviously they are highly stressed items with really bad potential failure modes, so buy something made for the purpose or a bolt from a serious supplier like an industrial supply.
Lines on bolt heads mean very little if bought at the corner dime store...there is no enforcement of SAE grade standards and the Chines have learned we like lines on our bolts!
Originals are of course not lined...they predate that system, but Ford made very high standard fasteners.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Has anyone used these bolts? they seem to be the right size. ARP has a good reputation for high quality bolts. I have always re-used the original Ford p plate bolts. just trying to help...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-250-2201/
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #24
V8 Bob

[QUOTE=jdl;269480] I have always re-used the original Ford p plate bolts..../QUOTE]

The problem with using old rod, head, main cap and clutch/flywheel bolts, with no known history, is whether they were properly torqued when installed, and how many cycles they have gone through. Better safe than sorry on critical bolts, and ARP bolts are my first choice. IMO.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote