Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Fun Projects Regulator - To Fuse Or Not To Fuse-The Great Debate

A second question in relation to the Nov-Dec 2018 Mod A News article. I was not aware of the possibility of electrical damage when the starter mount fuse blows while the Motor is running.

I plan on installing the Fun Project Regulator in 2019 which replaces the original generator cut off - if still available.

Does the Fun Projects provide protect against the generator overvoltage when the starter fuse blows?

Additionally, is the Fun Projects protected for overvoltage/spikes? If not when ready to purchase, may order two , 1 for a spare.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
rfitzpatrick

Default Re: Fun Projects Regulator - To Fuse Or Not To Fuse-The Great Debate

What I've noticed about Fun Project fuses -- there is no pig-tail, elimanating that possible break in the line. Instead (instructions are included) you wire directly into the fuse holder itself. Also, when I FunProject my head-lamps, now i get no notice of electrical discharge when I operate lamps/horn/brake lites on my ammeter
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I believe you already know this, but the diode is only a gate that allows the current to flow one way. The generator will still produce electricity whether the fuse has continuity or not, --the issue is if the current has no where to go, the generator will self destruct.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
What I've noticed about Fun Project fuses -- there is no pig-tail, elimanating that possible break in the line. Instead (instructions are included) you wire directly into the fuse holder itself. Also, when I FunProject my head-lamps, now i get no notice of electrical discharge when I operate lamps/horn/brake lites on my ammeter

For clarification - Fun Project fuses, you are referencing the project that replaces the guts in the Cutoff?

If yes, thanks for the info about ammeter not registering discharge from the battery, not sure I like that.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I believe you already know this, but the diode is only a gate that allows the current to flow one way. The generator will still produce electricity whether the fuse has continuity or not, --the issue is if the current has no where to go, the generator will self destruct.

Thanks Brent Have not seen a schematic yet, did not know there was an in line diode. Also thought maybe it may have some sort of back feed voltage spike protection device (Transorb) with a circuit that cut power to the ignition. That is probably too complex.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post

Sounds like you have the yellow-black wire from the generator and the yellow wire from the starter on the same stud in the junction box, bypassing the ammeter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelAFuseTN.jpg (23.5 KB, 69 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Slowplane

This may help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fusereplacement.jpg (12.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
Benson

I would send an email to John Regan and ask him at [email protected].
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #9
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowplane View Post
This may help?

You missed the .22LR "fuse" mentioned in the Darwin Awards every year.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

am still coming up to speed on this subject, went into past posts again and also looked in ford vintage.

Brent - I am looking at EVRs (Electronic Voltage Regulators). So far have seen 2 types. The Fun Projects which is the CAN style replacement for the existing relay style, and Tom W's EVR that is inside the generator and replaces the 3rd brush. Both types appear to be highly recommended. I think you are referencing Diode Cutoffs.

Bob C - With both EVS, Ammeter should function the same as it does on an original relay style cutoff?

Sloplane, Bruce - LOL, :-)

Benson - have tried to, but when I try to contact them, the email address does not work, my computer says I need to down load an app from the app store but does not guide me which app to download. I suspect I need Chrome but am resistant to downloading it. I had problems at work when I downloaded Chrome - my IT dept. at work was not happy with me. I will be calling Fun Projects today, I did not see a 6v positive ground version on their site.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
But this is not an issue with the FP regulator only, right? Isn't it true that even if you have a standard Ford cutout that if the fuse blows while the engine is running fast enough for the generator to be charging that once the connection to the battery is lost there is no regulation of the generator voltage, and the generator likely self-destruct?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
Keith True

With the original cutout the battery IS the voltage regulator.When you take the battery out of the circuit the voltage will run away.The Funprojects regulator is just that,a regulator.Unless something fails in it there is no such thing as a voltage spike in a regulator.The Funprojects unit puts both the voltage and current units in the can.Toms unit replaces the third brush,and keeps the original cutout.I installed one of Toms units for somebody years ago in a powerhouse generator,he doesn't even bother to check his battery water anymore.Some people would have you believe the generator will fry instantly if the fuse blows.That's just not true.It takes time for the generator to heat up and melt the innards.Believe me,if the fuse blows while you are driving you won't drive far.When 30-40 volts gets fed to the coil you will hear some spectacular explosions.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Making sure I understand.

With both Style EVRs, if battery is lost/not connected the generator will not overvoltage with A running? Does the A continue to run without damaging the EVR? .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
With the original cutout the battery IS the voltage regulator.When you take the battery out of the circuit the voltage will run away.The Funprojects regulator is just that,a regulator.Unless something fails in it there is no such thing as a voltage spike in a regulator.The Funprojects unit puts both the voltage and current units in the can.Toms unit replaces the third brush,and keeps the original cutout.I installed one of Toms units for somebody years ago in a powerhouse generator,he doesn't even bother to check his battery water anymore.Some people would have you believe the generator will fry instantly if the fuse blows.That's just not true.It takes time for the generator to heat up and melt the innards.Believe me,if the fuse blows while you are driving you won't drive far.When 30-40 volts gets fed to the coil you will hear some spectacular explosions.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
Badpuppy

The original purpose of the battery fuse was to prevent the battery from discharging through the generator if the cutout contacts shorted together due to age and pitting. An EVR has no mechanical contacts to short out, but it's a good idea to retain the fuse/breaker in case of some other short-to-ground on the hot wire. If the fuse opens while the engine is idling it will likely die; the gen. won't produce enough power below a certain rpm. Otherwise an EVR should maintain a constant output voltage of 7.2V. It should also shut down and disconnect the generator if it senses current above 12 amperes or so.

As for a blown fuse causing damage, I don't know how it could, but I haven't read the article.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

I think they were referencing when there are higher rpms, enough voltage/current from the generator can run the ignition.

If the fuse is blown the battery is not connected the generator no longer has the battery to keep the voltage regulated. The generator outputs its max. 40 volts or so and damage to things happen.

My question is if the EVR models prevent this runaway generator voltage issue, if the fuse opens when the motor is running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
The original purpose of the battery fuse was to prevent the battery from discharging through the generator if the cutout contacts shorted together due to age and pitting. An EVR has no mechanical contacts to short out, but it's a good idea to retain the fuse/breaker in case of some other short-to-ground on the hot wire. If the fuse opens while the engine is idling it will likely die; the gen. won't produce enough power below a certain rpm. Otherwise an EVR should maintain a constant output voltage of 7.2V. It should also shut down and disconnect the generator if it senses current above 12 amperes or so.

As for a blown fuse causing damage, I don't know how it could, but I haven't read the article.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

Keith's answer indicates EVRs do not let the generator overvoltage when a starter mount fuse blows.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #17
Will N

Well, I had a fun projects regulator installed and blew the fuse while running at highway speed. I had to replace these items afterward: Generator field coils (but not the armature), horn, ignition coil, turn signal flasher. I think the fuse blew from a short in the horn, as it all went south right after blowing the horn.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #18
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

My question is if the EVR models prevent this runaway generator voltage issue, if the fuse opens when the motor is running?

30 Closed Cab PU,
My heart goes out to you in your quest for a direct and credible answer to this simple question.
Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #19
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Keith's answer indicates EVRs do not let the generator overvoltage when a starter mount fuse blows.
True; at least that's the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Well, I had a fun projects regulator installed and blew the fuse while running at highway speed. I had to replace these items afterward: Generator field coils (but not the armature), horn, ignition coil, turn signal flasher. I think the fuse blew from a short in the horn, as it all went south right after blowing the horn.
Main line short to ground (horn) would cause the fuse to blow, but the resulting excessive current should have shut down the regulator and killed the engine. Apparently the regulator failed in a shorted-through condition, causing the further damage from the unregulated generator.

With 20/20 hindsight, it's a good idea to fuse both horn and lighting switch at the cutout.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #20
30 Closed Cab PU

Having some electronics background am aware that even if designed for this situation, shorts and opens sometimes defy protective design. Sometimes it is not economical spending tons of bucks to ID and correct how design failed when the design was supposed to prevent this failure, and occurance of failure is extremely low on a low volume part.

I do have a call into Fun Projects, lady who answered said someone would call me back, still waiting.