Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #61
eagle

Default Re: Suddenly won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by h. L. Chauvin View Post
for reply no. 43:

If one researches past model a forum suggestions over the past (20) or so years, one can find where usually the typical model a cafeteria style suggestion fixes are offered to try the customary bouncing around and sampling odds and ends, followed by follow up model a answers after one tries changing the condenser, the points, the coil, the ignition switch, the battery, the battery cables, the light switch, the fuse holder(s), the light bulbs, the ammeter, the high intensity coil wire, the rotor, the generator cut out, the distributor body ..... And even changing the dip stick ....... And then finally .......... One either gives up and sells his model a ........... Or quits bouncing around from pillar to post, obtains and studies a model a wiring diagram, obtains a multi-meter, and starts monitoring (+) & (-) voltage from point a at the battery to where the failure occurs.

Next, ever notice that the model a parts suppliers never complain about cafeteria style suggested model a engine diagnostics ...... This is how they stay in business. Lol
amen brother!
Old 07-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #62
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

To add to Mr. Eagle's "Amen" in reply no. 61, (like it takes 61 ways to fix a simple Model A distributor), all of us have noticed many of our past friends and acquaintances are below ground today because doctors never ever listened to advice, and kept trying every medicine in their books, and after years of practice, they never learned to diagnose symptoms and root causes of ailments ..... but autopsies work.

All doctors can write and order multiple prescriptions and schedule numerous visits ......... just like Model A owners ordering many ridiculous Model A parts and replacing countless parts.

But so few doctors have learned the rare art of diagnosing a problem.

Appears Doctors and Model A people never change ..... Model A's don't change much either. Our pharmacies and Model A parts suppliers stay busy. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #63
katy

Quote:
Apparently what I was referring to is confusing. I'm usually confused so that would make sense.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #64
jfreddie

Good luck in finding your short. The list of things to check can be daunting but testing for voltage at the points is the best.
If you have that, your problem can only be coil related and don't forget the coil wire itself could be bad.
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #65
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Happens every time I open my mouth. Sometimes I don't even have to open my mouth.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #66
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreddie View Post
Good luck in finding your short. The list of things to check can be daunting but testing for voltage at the points is the best.
If you have that, your problem can only be coil related and don't forget the coil wire itself could be bad.

Have you read #51 ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote