Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
topchop

Default Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Thanks FordBarn, again.
As usual, I scan the FordBarn daily for info and entertainment, and occasionally a search for something I’m doing at the time. Well, guess what?

Picked up a “spare” 59A motor. It was a running motor 3 months ago, looked nice and we settled for a price. Compression on cylinders was 120 – 140 psi so I decided to not tear it all down, just gaskets etc and get it running on a stand, prior to painting. The plan is to swap it into the ’47 at the end of the year. It will give me a chance to detail the engine bay. Removed the intake and oil pan and cleaned out the sludge (not bad, really). I don’t know about the early V8s, but the 46 – 48 oil pump and flywheel creates very narrow window for the pan to fit between. Not even easy to take off, let alone installing. A lot easier with the flywheel off, or so I thought. Removed the flywheel and luckily, a lunch break afforded my some cruise time on the Barn. Sure enough, someone’s already explained that won’t work, the pan extends around the flywheel by the starter mount, making it difficult to install the fw after. Saved me an hours work and another oil pan gasket set.

By the way, I have the motor on my well-used Chevy motor stand, so inverting the motor is not an option. And, since I am working by myself, dry-fitting the pan several times made me realize it ain’t easy. TIP: position the pan, with gaskets, on a floor jack under the motor in the approximate position. Get 4 really long 5/16 bolts and start them in a couple of holes in the front and back. That way, raising the pan with the jack keeps it aligned and slides nicely between the flywheel and oil pump. (Back by the starter, remember to remove the long bolt, as the pan is tapered out. replace with a shorter one till the pan hits home).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-09-07 09.23.13.jpg (40.2 KB, 28 views)
topchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
moonshine runner

Default Re: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Hey Topchop.

I have the pan off my 47 right now, replacing the gasket and the dipstick boss but I didn't have the luxury of having the engine out of the car so it's been a real fun task! LOL

Looks like I am also going to have to replace the ujoint / driveline gaskets where it connects at the tranny because it too is leaking.
Kevin

Henry Ford.
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote