Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
Lefthander1930

Default The smell of gas

Wife was complaining of the smell of gas in the garage, Turn off my valve about 4 days ago after running the car. All I could see was or smell was gas from the bottom of the carb. Just touching the hole my finger would be wet. So today I took off the carb & put it outside. Turning off the valve 4 days ago & the carb staying wet Bad valve I'm thinking. Sticking a rubber hose on fuel line into container to check if leaking, nope nothing ??? I figured that the gas is weeping very slowing from the carb giving that smell of gas & keeping the hole wet on the Botton of the Zenith. I did rebuild or I though I did the carb about 10 days ago. I thinking I must have mucked up. No smokers in the house & the water heater is on the patio. Looking for help & remedies
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: The smell of gas

If no gas is leaking past the shut-off valve when it is shut off indicates the entire issue is in the carb itself. The biggest single issue could be the float valve being set too high. That is critical. But there could be issues with several other things. Tom Endy has a couple articles on carbs at his site that are probably something you should take a look at.

Go here and page down to Fuel:

https://www.santaanitaas.org/tom-endys-tech-articles/
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
ursus

I had a carb that weeped gas to no avail. Turned out to be a faint hairline crack in the base of the bowl caused by overzealous tightening of the bottom plug. The crack was only evident when the casting was turned in the light at just the right angle.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I remember the smell of gasoline before unleaded came along..The sense of smell is directly tied to memory.I get a kick out of the young buck mechanics at work who smell my model A idling and tell me I'm running fat.. catalytic converter free I tell them,no O2 sensors to limit fuel..they cock their heads like a dog..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
Mulletwagon

Had the exact same problem. Disconnected the fuel line at the carb and put the end in an empty water bottle. With the shut off valve off, about an ounce of gas leaked past the valve overnight. New shut off valve fixed that problem. With the new valve open still had a minor seep at the carb after a prolonged period. Rebuilt the carb using a viton tipped inlet valve. Still leaked some for a few days and then stopped - I assume because the viton finally took a set. Definitely need to get it fixed - the smell of gas fumes in the garage is very disheartening (and will cost points with the better half).
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #6
mass A man

When I rebuilt a carb with metal float valve parts, I always gave the new needle valve a couple of little taps in the new seat with a small hammer, "gently"!. This seemed to mate the new float valve parts together better and I never had a weeping valve. Quite obviously, one cannot do this with Viton tipped needle valves.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...A number of us who have had 'A's for a long time have developed the habit of turning of the valve under the dash and then running the engine iuntil the carb runs dry at the end of the day. It seems to stop the problem. I was taught to shut down an 'A' that way in the early 1960's...still do it that way today...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #8
McMimmcs

Did she smell gasoline before the carburetor rebuild?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:33 PM   #9
Lefthander1930

I was wrong the valve weeped very slow overnight about 3 tablespoons. Now I don't know about the carb I rebuilt. Today I got a new electric shut off to install. Do I take off the old Valve. ?? Can't figure out pipe thread to gas line. I'm guessing pipe thread after taking shut off valve.
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #10
redmodelt

Even without a leak, there will be the smell of gas. It is a vented system, not sealed like modern cars. It is pipe thread into the tank, the rest are flair with straight thread. If you tie the electric valve into the ignition switch, the gas and car will shut off so there will still be gas in the vented carburetor.