Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #21
Tiny

Default Re: Our First "Tour"

Watch out!! The miles can become addictive. 13 will turn into 30 next thing you know you're going in a 100 mile drive for a cup of coffee just for the hell of it!!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #22
Art Newland

I've only owned my coupe since March, I've got over 800 miles on her now. I drive it quite a bit, but usually not more than about 6-7 miles away from home. I've done a lot of mechanical work to make it run better and the more I drive it, the more confident in it I get. (the better it runs too)
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #23
Dick Steinkamp

I bought my A about the same time Art bought his (we didn't know each other then). Mine was a true barn find (apple orchard in Wisconsin). It was solid, complete, and pretty much an original 80,000 mile car. It had sat since at least 1958...

My short term goal is just to make it a driver while leaving the originality and patina. I've got a ways to go to even reach that goal! .

BTW, Art had me meet him at HIS house for the tour to the Olympics. That's an extra 5 miles each way for me...so I actually did 35+ miles...which for me and my clunker is quite the accomplishment. . (Actually, I think Art planned it that way so that if I caught on fire again it would hopefully happen on the way to his house so that he wouldn't have to empty his fire extinguisher )
Old 07-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Dick the exterior of your car looks great...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #25
Art Newland

It really is amazing how well Dick's engine runs. The pistons are very loose in the bores, and they klunk and klank some, but it pulled the hills and ran 35 mph plus the whole journey. He doesn't hold back either, and accelerates hard!
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #26
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Dick the exterior of your car looks great...
Thanks, Mitch. If you think the exterior is great, you should see the interior ...

[/url]

I am missing the back seat. My guess is that it was removed back in the day and the car was used to haul apples. If anyone has a lead on a back seat, please let me know.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #27
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Thanks, Mitch. If you think the exterior is great, you should see the interior ...

[/url]

I am missing the back seat. My guess is that it was removed back in the day and the car was used to haul apples. If anyone has a lead on a back seat, please let me know.
It's good to see someone preserved the front seat bottoms with covers..

Do you ever get the feeling something is crawling on ya while ur drivin

Love all the patina inside and out ...it's great
Old 07-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #28
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
It really is amazing how well Dick's engine runs. The pistons are very loose in the bores, and they klunk and klank some, but it pulled the hills and ran 35 mph plus the whole journey. He doesn't hold back either, and accelerates hard!
Given the Model A gearing, I always enjoy beating modern cars off the line* at stoplights.

*for the first foot or so.
Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #29
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post

Do you ever get the feeling something is crawling on ya while ur drivin
Yep...but only because there probably is.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #30
wgmatt

I understand the 13 miles! My first trip was 4 and I blew a fuse. Next one was about 10 with serious overheating. Next one was 30 and the brakes started failing. Each job was a joy to figure out anf fix. That's what it is all about. Now I am touring 200+a day (after I fixed the speedometer!) miles without any problems. Looking for cosmetic fixes because mechanically I am fine. I look forward to hearing about your journeys.
wgmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #31
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Yep...but only because there probably is.
I think all that knocking probably chases away the worst of 'em.
Jimmy Hoffa could be hidden under those seat covers!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #32
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgmatt View Post
I understand the 13 miles! My first trip was 4 and I blew a fuse. Next one was about 10 with serious overheating. Next one was 30 and the brakes started failing. Each job was a joy to figure out anf fix. That's what it is all about. Now I am touring 200+a day (after I fixed the speedometer!) miles without any problems. Looking for cosmetic fixes because mechanically I am fine. I look forward to hearing about your journeys.
When you build a car from the ground up, you get to know every nut and bolt, when you get a car and are looking to make it a driver, you pretty much have to drive it and see what happens! Some times bad things happen then you fix them and rinse and repeat. Then you get to drive further and further between fixes.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:15 AM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
When you build a car from the ground up, you get to know every nut and bolt, when you get a car and are looking to make it a driver, you pretty much have to drive it and see what happens! Some times bad things happen then you fix them and rinse and repeat. Then you get to drive further and further between fixes.
I respectfully disagree with your drive and see what happens method on a newly acquired driver...
It's called preventative maintenance and knowing the sore spot areas on a model A That needs to be checked. Going over a car properly will pretty much eliminate all break downs and will make it reliable from the get go. It doesn't matter if it sat 40 years or was previously driven.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-20-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #34
Art Newland

Well, at least you're respectful...
I guess what I'm trying to say is, it takes some time and effort to get to the point of "knowing the sore spot areas on a model A". The more you understand the workings of your A, the more confident you will be about driving it. Obviously I’m not advocating bringing home an 80-90 year old car and just driving it to see what happens. Common sense would dictate at least checking the minimums, oil/lubrication levels, coolant, and etc. How are you going to know if your car has a tendency to overheat? You are going to have to give it a try. Mark Twain said
Quote:
I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened!
. Don’t let those troubles keep your car in the driveway. And thanks Mitch, you put a lot of effort into helping people on these forums, it's appreciated.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #35
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Well, at least you're respectful...
I guess what I'm trying to say is, it takes some time and effort to get to the point of "knowing the sore spot areas on a model A". The more you understand the workings of your A, the more confident you will be about driving it. Obviously I’m not advocating bringing home an 80-90 year old car and just driving it to see what happens. Common sense would dictate at least checking the minimums, oil/lubrication levels, coolant, and etc. How are you going to know if your car has a tendency to overheat? You are going to have to give it a try. Mark Twain said . Don’t let those troubles keep your car in the driveway. And thanks Mitch, you put a lot of effort into helping people on these forums, it's appreciated.
I didn't go into detail on sore spots as its a big list but I will mention two things as an example...

Check the distributor lower plate wire. (Of course this would also involve checking the distributors general health).
Open the junction box and check the wires and connections