Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
Ford coupe

Default 55 neutral lock out

I must work the shift lever up and down until i hit the exact spot for starter to engage..So if working properly something would hold it in that position would it be the switch at bottom of column something in the dash or tranny ...just wondering what i need to make it work properly..Thanks in advance..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: 55 neutral lock out

There is a NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) @ the bottom of the column (engine compartment) that is adjustable and/or bad.

Same with the shift linkage, it has to be tight to work properly (bushings).

Do you have a SHOP MANUAL?
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55 neutral lock out

Starter neutral switch on all '50's Ford cars is located near bottom of steering column. It may be out of adjustment if the two retaining screws are loose. But if it worked before and the screws are tight, the problem is most likely in either the worn out rubber bushing in the lever at the bottom of the shift tube. You could also have excessive wear in the shift link rod that goes into the transmission shift lever.
The original starter neutral switches lasted practically forever if they were properly adjusted and there was no slop in the shift linkage.
The repro switches are made in china. You can have everything perfect and the switch will only last a year at most due to the substandard materials and methods used in their construction. At least one of the repro outfits I use has quit advertising them as starter neutral switches and now they are calling it a backup light switch due to the constant customer complaints about the failing switches.
Also unfortunately, the rubber grommet for the shift lever is no longer offered by the repro parts guys, but if you are creating, you can make something that will work properly. My shift rod was worn halfway thru at the bottom where it goes thru the hole in the transmission lever. I took it off, ran a bead of weld at the worn spot and ground it down perfectly round so it would fit back in the hole without any slop.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:22 PM   #4
Ford coupe

I do have a shop manuel but can not find anything related to it..What page no is it on
Old 01-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
Merc Cruzer

Found this in my 53' Merc transmission manual, it should be the same, hope it helps. If you can't read it , let me know and I can send the original picture and you and enlarge it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0003.jpg (71.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9276.jpg (61.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0071 (2).jpg (49.4 KB, 15 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #6
Ford coupe

Has the actual switchwith the little arm on it that is moved by the arm from the shift rod got a certain position that it clicks into when selector lever is put in neutraj.When i place selector arrow in neutral i can move it up and down quite a bit and i feel it should have a snap into place feel when i shift it to neutral...So to start the car i must move the indicator up and down ti it finds contact for thestarter to kick in...
Old 01-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford coupe View Post
Has the actual switchwith the little arm on it that is moved by the arm from the shift rod got a certain position that it clicks into when selector lever is put in neutraj.When i place selector arrow in neutral i can move it up and down quite a bit and i feel it should have a snap into place feel when i shift it to neutral...So to start the car i must move the indicator up and down ti it finds contact for thestarter to kick in...
Yes, if you take the switch off, you can feel when it is in the neutral position. I would suggest that you put the shift lever in the neutral position, then loosen the screws on the switch, on the column and put it into the neutral position, (you should be able to fee it with your fingers), then tighten down the screws on the switch.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: 55 neutral lock out

I don't know, but this vendor advertises as FORD APPROVED-

1955-1957 NSS - B7AZ 7A2747-A

Quote:
THIS HI QUALITY B7AZ-7A247-A THIS IS NUTRAL SAFTY SWITCH THAT DOES THE BACK UP LIGHTS ON ALL AUTOMATIC TRANS CARS.FITS ALL 1955 1956 FORD CARS AND ALOWS YOUR CAR TO START IN NEUTRAL ONLY .THIS IS LICENSED BY FORD & TOP QUALITY.
- https://www.ebay.com/itm/191615440738

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 01-07-2022, 04:54 PM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Has the actual switch with the little arm on it that is moved by the arm from the shift rod got a certain position that it clicks into when selector lever is put in neutral.
Yes, but there is very little force required to move the lever into the switch detent (where the contacts close).The gear shift lever itself is heavy enough to move the little arm on the switch if the rubber bushing and/or shift link rod need attention.
Quote:
When i place selector arrow in neutral i can move it up and down quite a bit and i feel it should have a snap into place feel when i shift it to neutral.
It is very common to feel a lot of slop in the gear shift lever when the rubber bushing has turned mushy and the metal shift link rod is worn down. Fix these problems first, then adjust your switch so that when the gear shift lever is in neutral, it mates up with the detent in the neutral switch.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:04 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Red face Re: 55 neutral lock out

Quote:

I do have a shop manuel but can not find anything related to it..What page no is it on
My mistake ...

It will be found in the AT WSM for that year.

Below are some ILL that may help -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering Column Ill- 56A FOM _1.jpg (62.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Steering Column Ill- 56A FOM _2.jpg (58.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Steering Column Ill- 56A FOM _3.jpg (49.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Steering Column Ill- 56A FOM _4.jpg (68.5 KB, 8 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #11
Ford coupe

Merc cruizer above is spot on..i can put select lever in n but it moves up and down freely no detante,,i can in that up and down find a spot where the starter engages and the car starts but it is a bit of a nuisancs .. So i need to change the switch but not tonight as it is 25 below celsious here...So spering will come and thanks to alll..