Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #821
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Al,
I have a beautiful horn that came to me as a gift! It is way to nice to put on this ragged ol' truck as Mark and I call it! I really hope to be able to use the horn on the truck. Moving to 12 volt, I may have to get a ballast resistor to drop down to 6 volt for the horn? It may be one of the winter projects too. And I will try to save some things for the dark months also. My first winter in a heated shop. I dont really know how to act!

Thanks you for your comments. This thread runs in the same manner as my Allis WD45 thread on the Allis Forum, Or my Shop Talk thread on there, Or my Red Power forum about my TD6 loader/ dozer that I had, or old posts on Only Cub Cadet forum (now gone I think) about a 147R IH Cub Cadet and its equipment that I rebuilt several years ago. Or my Maple syrup adventures on the Maple Trader forum. As you can see I have a problem! I can really only keep one of these types of threads going at a time. Thank goodness!

Glad you have enjoyed this so far! Taking the pictures, getting the feed back, suggestions and comments, really helps me move along with the truck project too. So many new friends have been found with this 32 truck project! Hopefully we can continue working and learning about for some time in the future.
I am looking forward to it. Next project? Sure I was looking for one when I found this. Another Ford, probably! Preferably a 56 pickup. Just another dream!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #822
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Chris,

This has to be one of the all-time greatest threads here on the Barn, lots of pictures and interactions with comments and advice along the way in the rebirth of this beautiful '32.
Thank you for sharing with us. You know, we will become more addicted to your posts as soon as the dark cold days of winter set in and we are stuck inside. Save some work for our hibernation.
I remember you discussing here the need for a correct '32 horn ? Not sure if you contemplated using a 12 volt Model "A" horn instead ? the "AHOOOOGA" sound brings so much more attention than just the "BEEP, BEEP" of later types. God Speed.
I put an AHOOOOGA horn on my ‘41 as an addition to the original horn, my Uncle had a model A horn he put on every vehicle he owned, we always knew it was him when he came for a visit, I love the sound.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #823
sugarmaker

corvette8n,
I hope to get the horn in place at some point in the future. I havent been around the Ahoooooga sound enough to know if I like it or not?

I did install a muffler today on the 32. You would think that would be simple? Not for me. Took a couple hours. But made some improvements along the way too. Put in some sealant in the exhaust flange. Also reconfigured the hanging bracket for the exhaust pipe.
I think it sounds a little better with the muffler.

Also hooked up the alternator and added a volt meter under the dash. Yep no where near stock but functional and the alternator is charging the battery! One step closer.

A good friend John R stopped in today and he agreed that the play in the crank (thrust) is likely the main reason for the amount of oil coming out the rear of the engine. He also said he had a vintage turn signal assembly that I could have when I stop in to see him.

I pulled wires for the headlights, parking lights and turn signals. Mounted the headlight buckets to the cross bar. Lights will all plug into wiring in the buckets.
Maybe tomorrow I will get the wire for the rear lights pulled and connectors added.
Hope things are good out there in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-10-2021, 08:46 PM   #824
sugarmaker

Ford barn folks,
Today I visited with friends jim b from Bugs & Tugs and also "Mr. Ford", John K. Both sessions in the rehab center required a ride in the 32 truck on back dirt roads. Evaluating the new muffler and the performance of the ton and a half dump!
Comments went something like this. Yep better, but still noisy, is that a new noise, think we will make it home, doesn't ride bad with these new seats, dang this is noisy, are you cold?, I am, it seems to be running better than last time, you can't down shift the truck unless almost stopped, don't be alarmed about the radiator over flow...... And various other high pitched conversations above the creaks, rattles, and groans of a ragged ol' truck! I had a ball hope Jim and John did also. No break downs. A little farther each time. Cell phone for emergency. We probably went 15 miles today. Slow but sure building confidence in the ol' 32 truck!
I am working on the rear lights. Yep, custom sugarmaker, wiring in the testing phase. Heading towards the front of the truck. Next stop the brake switch.
Thanks for checking on me.
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-10-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:41 PM   #825
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Ford barn folks,
Today I visited with friends jim b from Bugs & Tugs and also mr Ford, John K. Both sessions in the rehab center required a ride in the 32 truck on back dirt roads. Evaluating the be muffler and the performance of the ton and a half dump
Comments went something like this. Yep better but still noisy, is that a new noise, think we will make it home, doesn't ride bad with these new seats, dang this is noisy, are you cold?, I am, it seems to be running better than last time, you can't down shift the truck unless almost stopped, don't be alarmed about the radiator over flow...... And various other high pitched conversations above the creaks rattles and groans of a ragged ol' truck! I had a ball hope Jim and john did also. No break downs. A little farther each time. Cell phone for emergency. We probably went 15 miles today. Slow but sure building confidence in the ol' 32 truck!
I am working on the rear lights. Yep, custom sugarmaker, wiring in the testing phase. Heading towards the front of the truck. Next stop the brake switch.
Thanks for checking on me.

Chris....That's some funny stuff right there! LOL Enjoy your posts sir!

Stay Safe!
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #826
sugarmaker

Folks, Pat,
Well the brief update is that all the wiring is roughed in and all seems to work when tested. I need to begin the attachment to the "egg" and then the steering column. Then more testing. Dang did Ford do this much prototyping and testing? I don't think so!
Have to get the turn signal switch, in place and of course tested too. Brake switch and the back lights all work too! Yippee!! On a roll here something is bound to go wrong soon!
After the incident last night , driving the 32 from the neighbors to my house, in pitch black dark thirty conditions, almost taking out his and the other neighbors mail boxes, and meeting a truck coming the other way, I felt this lighting thing may need to be moved up the priority list a notch or two! Soon!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-11-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:20 AM   #827
Mart

More than Jim and John enjoying this ride.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:34 PM   #828
sugarmaker

Mart,
I really like your videos. Maybe someday I can get better at that too!
Folks,
Its late, pictures are not all loading right. I am whooped! Have to host a maple confections workshop tomorrow. Someone else is doing the presenting.

Anyway I worked on the 32's lights most of the day with Cooper. We now have headlights, parking lights front and rear, brake lights, and high and low beam and high beam indicator on the dash. Had the truck out in the dark and the lights should be adequate for some limited night driving. The switch on the column works! Who would have guessed. Still don't know why there was a foot dimmer on the floor board?

Ok I probably have my headlite bulbs in upside down? The top half of the lens is lit up I thought this should be low beam but seams brighter??

Rear, all good:

Outside the shop at dark thirty. I guess the license plate light works fine:

Just parking lights on:

My helper today:

We had to go on a short tractor ride this morning on the Allis D17:

The loose yellow and white are the turn signal wires:

Had some trouble getting these connections to stay in place.

The electrical "egg" in place:

Final look for the crude wiring job on the truck. Should function:

Shop electrical work also as Nic wired a 220 receptacle for my electric range. Will be cooking syrup on it tomorrow. Thanks to Nic and Cooper:

Here is that high beam indicator on the dash. Not a great picture. its red when lit up. A very robust well built light socket assembly. I was impressed.

Glad I got the alternator hooked up because the lights draw it down pretty good at low rpm. Took truck around the shop drive and out into the road, for a couple hot laps just to remind the neighbors that we are still here!
It is running really good!
Turn signal and flasher unit next! I love the look of the arrow turn signals when lit up!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-12-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:44 PM   #829
Pat/Ohio

Chris....You did good! I like it!

Pat
Old 11-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #830
sugarmaker

Pat,
Thanks! You travel to Florida for the winter?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #831
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Pat,
Thanks! You travel to Florida for the winter?
Regards,
Chris
Yes, About the middle of December until the 2nd week in April. They "play" car all year round in Florida! Plus I play senior softball there also.

Pat
Old 11-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #832
tubman

Chris,

This has been an outstanding thread and the truck is coming along great!

I do have one question : "When do you sleep?"
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #833
flatford8

….I do have one question : "When do you sleep?"……. I thought of asking this too!! This guy runs on batteries!!…..when my son was Coopers age, he was helping me wire a trailer. When I asked if the directionals were working he said “yup- nope -yup- nope” I rolled on the ground laughing!!… truck is looking great!!……. Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #834
sugarmaker

Guys,
Sleep is optional. I just make it look like something happens. Most smoke and mirrors! Love the yep, nope, comments! Getting dusk. Might go for a run. Oil leak is not getting better.
Had a dozen maple folks here to learn about value added maple products.
As Billy Joe sings, might fire up this ragged ol' truck! No excuse now!
Man the weather has been great!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #835
DavidG

At first I thought that perhaps your head lamp lenses were upside down, but in the outdoor photo they are the way they were designed to be positioned.

The truck is looking better ever day and I also wonder when you sleep.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #836
sugarmaker

David, folks,
Thanks! Kind words from the master! I think that the lenses are in right, but still not sure that my new type bulbs are in correctly? They seem to point down on low beam ( top of reflector has light), and have full reflector of light on high beam. For what I am doing it will be fine.

So two future projects come to mind which are electrical related and that is not one of my strengths, if I have any? The turn signal switch/flasher system.

And the second is work on the very nice horn! Going to fetch the horn and begin to look at the components. May need some help on that unit for sure!

Have to go to Erie and see if I can get the antique turn signal switch next week, from friend John R..

Took the 32 for its first night out. About a 8 mile jaunt on the back roads. Lights were adaquate for the speed. Stopped at neighbor's and he did a brake light check for me. All things good back there. Weather is around 50, so not real cold in the cab. Roads were dry.

I really like getting the switch on the steering wheel operational! That for sure seemed like the thing to do. Think about all the controls that are now on the steering wheel of my '15, F-250!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #837
DavidG

Chris,

When you get to the horn, please let me know as the diaphragm is that for a Model A and has to be altered (easily) to operate properly in a B horn.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #838
sugarmaker

David,
I am there. I will post some pictures here. Parts are all there. I see the diaphragm, may be "short" of being hit with the rotating wheel. You can call me at some point and we can talk about the mods to the diaphragm required! I really like this horn a lot! I need to find a dropping resistor from 12 volt to 6 volt. then decide how to wire it too. I am trying to decide how to patina it easily and the only thing i have right now is to spray with some flat black and handle a little. Kind of like the headlight buckets?

Folks,
Before we go there I interrupt this thought to view these three patch kits from my brother. Any comments:

Horn Location found, and the small hole for orientation:

The horn kit:

Horn motor:

Horn mount at attachment point:

Test fit up:

Horn assembly in location on truck frame/ fender, tucked between the fender and the radiator shell:

32 at dusk at neighbors:

side note, our maple event in the shop today:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-12-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:31 AM   #839
DavidG

Chris,

I'm tied up today so I thought it best to describe what needs to be done to the Model A horn diaphragm so as to not hold up your progress.

The six holes in the perimeter of the Model A diaphragm are located in such a way that the straight edge of the stud in the center does not line up exactly with the notches in the rotating wheel of the Model B motor. So you will need to add six new holes in the diaphragm to achieve that necessary alignment with the rotating wheel. The new holes will be approximately centered between the existing six holes, but not exactly. A straight edge aligned with the straight edge of the stud on the diaphragm and then on the notches of the rotating wheel relative to the holes in the perimeter of the base of the motor will lead you to the exact position of where the six new holes in the diaphragm should be.

Once the new holes are in place and the horn assembled, the adjustment screw on the back of the motor will dictate the degree of engagement between the end of the stud and the rotating wheel which is what produces the "ahooga" sound.

It is easy to misunderstand the wiring of the horn as it is the horn button that closes the circuit to ground and therefore the two wire attachment points on the base on the horn motor are not positive and negative but rather negative in and negative out in the original positive ground system. Since you were able to reuse the light switch rod/horn button assembly in the steering column, it is likely that the original horn button will work as intended with the proper wiring of the rest of the circuit.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:40 AM   #840
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
I was up half the night wondering what the simple fix was for the diaphragm to contact solution. I will review in detail and re-clock the parts to match the rotating wheel.
I am concerned about the steering column switch for the horn I have very little movement in the upper portion, from the push button to the bottom contact. Maybe 1/16 inch of movement of the contact? Seems to me there should be more?? Maybe a broken return spring under the push button?? Concerned it will contact when I dont want it to.
Thanks on the wiring hook up in the horn. I am now a negitive ground system, so will think on that one a little. Have to find the voltage drop resistor thingy.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets