Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Carl

Default LA Roadster show

...anyone go to the LA Roadster show?, and were there any deals?
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: LA Roadster show

Hope the replies are more positive than the ones on the HAMB. Bob
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
ct1932ford

Depends what you call a deal! I was there for the first time and it was good. I did however think it was going to be better. The swap meet was good with lots of neat early stuff. The cars in the swap meet area were very cool (early traditional stuff). Sunday morning there was hardly anyone left in the swap meet area. Everyone here said it was not a good turnout. Again, my wife and I had a good time and met many nice people. I will be posting photos on the hAMB when I get back home.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
2ndgeer

I took in my 47th LARS and I had a great time. I was accompanied by my son who flew in from the midwest and has gone with me 25 times or so. My other son couldn't make it this year. The swap meet was as big as ever and the temperature was slightly cooler than last year.
Attending with another Ford buff is great because we constantly discuss the application and or rarity of items encountered. Since my vehicles are finished I rarely buy anything but I don't think prices were any more exhorbitant than they were back in 1980 when the LARS first came to Pomona.
I'm 76 and thankful I can still hike the hot asphalt each year. When we saw the ageless Gene Winfield (just turned 90) we knew somethings do last "forever." I drove my '34 pickup and parked near the swap meet so we could cycle back for water. I read the posts on the HAMB and felt depressed for a brief time but then I thought "Hey I still love the whole shebang."
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Oakhurst

This was my 6th LARS. It is a great event. The turnout was less this year, probably because of the $50 charge for the roadsters. It has been free before. Did see Gene Winfield again and Chip Foose just walking around on Sunday. Took my 1915 Studebaker Touring instead of my 36 Phaeton I usually take. Will go again next year!
Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
svm99

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I went with my brothers, the swap was definitely smaller than last year and just as hot. We found some good parts at very fair prices, including a trans with a very good set of Zephyr gears. We'll definitely be back next year, many were saying it will improve and build back up to the days of when the LA Roadster club ran the event. This is a "must go" event for us. Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
Gary Karr

The swap meet had lots of vendors but less than in year past. How about an NOS 28/29 left welled front fender for $100 and a set of NOS '31 running board aprons for $80!
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
zzlegend

I went on Saturday for the swap meet and the first thing I noticed was the parking lot did not seem as full as prior years. I felt the swap meet was spread out to much and not near as big as years past and the amount of people walking around seemed less. A lot less roadsters on display to. But I did see a couple of overhead conversion complete motors. Will I be going back after all these years? Not sure. But I hope they learned some thing this year to make next year better. Just my 2 1/2 cents. But hey, I am just a Geezer.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Krylon32

Been going for about 25 years and was disappointed by the turnout of roadsters and the number of swappers. By 2 in afternoon on Sat the swap meet buyers seemed to be gone. The vendor count seemed to be down and I personally was disappointed to see the LA Roadsters had taken over the show T shirts from the Brizio's, not nearly the quality. Hopefully some lessons were learned and it will be better next year. I'm optimistic enough that I booked my room for next year?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
ct1932ford

See My Photo's etc. on the HAMB most of page 12 : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/12102668/